Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Milan Maru (Ebon Hawk Redesign)

• wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    Interesting view you did there. That's an angle you can't get in the games since you can't go that far forward in the cockpit. ;)

Thanks, actually the camera isn't even in the cockpit anymore. Was trying to adapt one of those extreme angles you see in comic books.
    Oh I really should stop doing unnecessary lighting tests!

I have no Idea why those monitors emitting the light so irregular. Thought that it might be a result of unclean modelling but I checked it and there are no faces overlaying or something like that. Someone any Idea what could cause this?
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking good, except the weird lighting coming off of the monitors. Did you set up lights for those or use emission in your materials?
    For the monitors I used Emission Material for the Lamps I used a combination of emissions and Area Lights. If you look closely at the frame of the Windowstructure you will see that light and shadow are acting strange there as well. So maybe it hasn't even something to do with the monitor itself but rather with the surrounding mesh. At the moment I think it could be a result of the smooth shader. But not using one isn't really an option, right? An other important information might be that I render with Blender internal and not cycles.
    Yeah, it's probably the smoothing shader. Unfortunately, those can cause issues like that on flat surfaces.
    Well, good to know. And is there also a possibility to avoid these issues?

And don't worry I know you aren't a Blender user evil_genius. I had the somewhat unsubstantiated hope that somebody else with Blender experience would reply to this. I'm incredible grateful for your constant interest in my thread and your efforts to give me the feeling that I'm not entirely left alone here.

It was a stupid idea anyway to do all those lighting test before I finished modelling. So I will drop that a while a go back to modelling and in the meantime I will fight my way through the tutorial desert.
    I'm not a Blender user because I don't like Blender. However, I'm pretty sure you can select that part of the mesh and set it to "flat" instead of "smooth." That should fix it, I think.
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    You actually want the Edge Split modifier, set to split edges along an angle (~30 degrees works well) *and* along manually-designated sharp edges.
    It's about time a Blender guru chimed in. ;)
    Thanks for the suggestions. So far both methods haven't made any difference, but I will keep trying.

Hmm, could it be that self illuminating materials also don't interact properly with N-Gons? Or that it even works better the more polygons the mesh that is reciving the light has? Now that I think about I have the impression that I read somthing like that somewhere. I got rid of the N-Gons of the frame, and it definitely changed the outcame but it still looks not right.
    All faces are triangles when they render, regardless of what they look like in the editor, so I don't think that's the issue.

Can you post some screenshots of your material settings for both the wall material and the emissive panels themselves? Those circular hotspots are definitely strange!
    They look like cast off from circular lights, which is why I asked how you achieved the effect.
    Those are the material settings for the monitor. It is really just the material no circular lights are involved.

Everything else has just the default material. Actually it hadn't have any material in the last render I showed. After you asked I tried and applied the default material to it and also raised the sample rate in the aproximate render panel to max.
    This is what I got.

The hotspot on the wall is definitely looking better now but other than that it still looks like the monitor partially wouldn't emmit light.
    Yeah, it's really "sourcy" looking, which is weird for a rectangular panel emitting light.
    Forgive me for not being a native speaker but what exactly does "sourcy" mean?
    Like it's coming from a small source like a light bulb, not the type of light you typically get from a bigger source like a monitor. I picked up the term from somebody else and added it to my vocabulary. ;)

(don't worry, the spell checker in Chrome didn't like it either :lol:)
    Since I upgraded to ver 2.7 I'm getting this ugly tattered edges. Does somebody have an idea what could cause this. Anti-Aliasing is enabled, OSA is at 16, using the Mitchel-Netravali Filter (also tried the others with no difference). But maybe it doesn't even have to do something with Anti-Aliasing, I don't know. I'm still using the Internel Render 'cause Cycles is no option on my Netbook. Tried to find a solution on my own searching the internet but didn't came up with anything by now and I'm starting to become frustrated.
  • DaemoriaDaemoria331 Posts: 0Member
    it looks like the background masking is not working correctly. Try putting a camera facing infinite plane behind your mesh to give it something to anti-alias against.
    Edit; or stick it in a box or sphere with reversed normals and a matte surface texture.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?38352-To-Anti-Alias-or-not-to-Anti-Alias-That-is-the-question!
    ^^ this might have some things for you to think about tweaking, to see if you can fix the issue. ^^
    So far the method with a plane as background seem to work. Thanks a lot for response.
    Nice start on the paneling. :)
  • TaidremTaidrem67 Posts: 279Member
    Pretty well the ship
    Thanks for the nice words guys. Right now I'm about to rebuild the whole thing. The mesh just became too messy over time so that there wasn't really a way around this.

The thing that drove me crazy today is this little monitor pod in the cockpit.

in close view it is looking like this

I wanted to give it a bit thickness but I just can't figure out how to do this and keep the curvature intact. Usually I use the solidify modifier for that but I only get results like this.

Maybe the wrong choice of modifier or maybe I'm just stupid, anyway I really could use your help.
    If you were using Lightwave, I could help you. ;) In Lightwave, there's a tool called "Smooth Shift," which will take a group of faces and inset or extrude them. Unlike Extrude, it doesn't restrict itself to one axis. It's perfect for thickening things like that, but I have no idea if Blender has an equivalent.
    don't worry I'm still grateful for the reply.
    According to this http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=304962 the "shrink/fatten" tool is the Blender equivalent for "smooth shift". But It basically does the same like the solidify modifier and leaves me with awkwardly twisted geometry.
    Yeah, curved surfaces can be a pill to deal with when you want to do operations like that.
    Guess that's the best I can do for now.

Hope the next time I will have something worth showing.
    Still not done with rebuilding, but I'm close. Though there wouldn't be much to show anyway since the purpose was to build a cleaner mesh and reduce polycount without changing its appearance. One of the more noticeable changes I made is a new window structure. The layout stays the same but it's more detaild. So much for reducing Polycount eh, but I saved enough in other places so I could afford the extra detail.

Cockpit - Test 023.jpg Cockpit - Test 024.jpg

Cockpit - Test 025.jpg

And just to proof that I have done more than that. This is the current state. A bit more than 650.000 polys so far.

Ebon Hawk - Test - 033.jpg

Hope you like.
    108294.jpg108295.jpg108296.jpg108297.jpg
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    That's looking great. Really clean.