Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Milan Maru (Ebon Hawk Redesign)

• wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    joededman wrote: »
    Looking at the low poly model from the game and then looking at yours, I think I like yours better.

Thats quite a compliment, thank you.
    Although I think it's a bit unfair to whoever built it in the first place. It's a model for a game from 2003. I guess they couldn't really made it higher poly. It doesn't need much to make a "better" one today. And the reason why I love this ship so much is not it's quality. Like the Millenium Falcon or any other ship from the Star Wars Universe it has a simple ground shape with some well placed asymmetries. It's just that this works for me the best with this ship. It's so perfectly balanced. But as I said before, the fact that it is so low poly dosn't really harm. Because in this way you have nothing more than a very simple but interesting shape. I would even say that it is much more an achievement to create a fascinating ship if you don't have the opportunity to stuff it with tons of details. Also you can fill it with any detail you want in your imagination without changing the character of the ship. Long story short: I like it's simplicity.
    The goal for me was to make it very similar to the original and to change just some parts that I don't like or I thought could need improvement, like the turret. But once started it became its own dynamics and turned out more and more different than the original. And somehow on that way it lost what I liked about that ship in the first place. Main reason could be that I just eyeballed the proportions. That's why I wouldn't say that my version is "better". It's just ... different. Of course I like my version too. I'm not telling you that to make it bad and pick up compliments. I just find it very interesting from an art point of view to see what defines the "feeling" of a ship and what change it. After all it is a exercise in modelling as well as designing.
    Started to work on the Engine a bit.

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's looking great. I love the big engines on this ship.
    Yeah, big engines and no space for Fuel! Thats how Sci-Fi should be! :)
    wibble wrote: »
    Yeah, big engines and no space for Fuel! Thats how Sci-Fi should be! :)

So true. :lol:
    And just because I never can wait
    Looking great. :D

I've seriously got to build me one of these sometime.
    Hell yes, do it. I would love to see it.
    Wasn't sure if I should post this, 'cause it really shows nothing. But it took me a few hours to render it (yes my PC isn't the best) and therefore it would be a shame not to show it.
    Blocked out the Main Cargo Hold and tested a simple lighting setting. I really didn't put much effort in it, just wanted to get a taste how it could look. Still small enough to pass as light freighter, I hope, but big enough for a cargo that is worth the flight.

It told me it's an invalid attachment. It looks like the link is missing part of the attachment ID.
    As I said it shows nothing. :)
    Nevermind, should work now.
    It looks good. I don't remember it having stairs in the game. But then, I also haven't played in a long time.
    I don't remember it having stairs in the game. But then, I also haven't played in a long time.

It don't have stairs in the game and it isn't even as half as big.
    As I said in the first post this doesn't necessarily need to be THE Ebon Hawk. I liked the gangway in the concept art for the smugglers ship from The Old Republic and I wanted to have something similar.

Therefor it needed to be much higher. The stairs are just a necessity to match with the Floorlevel of the rest of the Interior.
    The smugglers ship is one of my main reference sources anyway.
    Ah, the XS Light Stock Freighter. My current character in TOR flies one of those. :) That one definitely has stairs.
    I've got a question for you. I've been researching the ship in order to start building one and I noticed there are apparently two different sizes for this ship. According to the Ebon Hawk page on Wookieepedia, the ship is 24 meters long and around 22.5 meters wide. However, according to the Dynamic-class Freighter page, it's 27.24 meters long and 25.94 meters wide. Then the model I exported from the game and converted to .obj is 4.35 kilometers long and 4.21 kilometers wide, so I'm thinking it's not to scale. :lol: I'm personally leaning towards using the 27.24 m length, because they give a more compelling reason for coming up with that than "it's in the Databank." However, my question is, what size is yours? (just out of sheer curiosity ;))
    My current character in TOR flies one of those.

Now you made me jealous. I tried to play it once, but my memory was full before I could complete the installation. But if I ever come to play it someday I will definitely get me one of those, too. It really is a piece of beauty and a worthier successor to the Ebon Hawk as well as a predecessor for the falcon.
    I've got a question for you. I've been researching the ship in order to start building one and I noticed there are apparently two different sizes for this ship. According to the Ebon Hawk page on Wookieepedia, the ship is 24 meters long and around 22.5 meters wide. However, according to the Dynamic-class Freighter page, it's 27.24 meters long and 25.94 meters wide. Then the model I exported from the game and converted to .obj is 4.35 kilometers long and 4.21 kilometers wide, so I'm thinking it's not to scale. :lol: I'm personally leaning towards using the 27.24 m length, because they give a more compelling reason for coming up with that than "it's in the Databank." However, my question is, what size is yours? (just out of sheer curiosity ;))

I guess you found the same .obj file as I did. The 4 km did blow me away a bit. but mine is definitely oversized as well. It is 59 m in length,53.5 m wide and 11.9 m high. I guess the 27.24 m version is a good choice.

Looking forward to see your version.
    Now you made me jealous. I tried to play it once, but my memory was full before I could complete the installation. But if I ever come to play it someday I will definitely get me one of those, too. It really is a piece of beauty and a worthier successor to the Ebon Hawk as well as a predecessor for the falcon.

Well, I built my desktop for gaming and CGI, so I have no issues with the game. I've been playing (off and on) since the early days of the game going live. I still prefer KOTOR and even KOTOR II to TOR.
    I guess you found the same .obj file as I did. The 4 km did blow me away a bit. but mine is definitely oversized as well. It is 59 m in length,53.5 m wide and 11.9 m high. I guess the 27.24 m version is a good choice.

Looking forward to see your version.

Ironically, I scaled the ship down to both lengths from Wookieepedia and neither has the correct width. I had the values locked to preserve the proportions, so I know it's correct. The ship is wider than they seem to think it is on those pages. I don't know where the values in the Databank came from, possibly what the designers envisioned, but they supposedly scaled the ship for the Dynamic-class page using floor plans from Ships of the Galaxy. Unfortunately, those aren't necessarily accurate. However, if the ship is 27.24 m long, the width is 26.3633 m. (so says Lightwave :lol:) If it's 24 m long, it's over 23 m wide, not 22.5 m, as they claim on the Ebon Hawk page. So, somewhere (likely between concept and game model) the proportions got a bit off. (you've gotta love it when the people who make this stuff don't even know what they're doing :rolleyes:)
    yeah scaling issues, thats what we love sci-fi for.
    I still prefer KOTOR and even KOTOR II to TOR.

Why is that so?
    Why is that so?

They really limited the classes in TOR. In KOTOR, you could pretty much create a custom character, no matter your class. Your class didn't determine which weapons and armor you could use or even which skills and Force powers you have. You could train your skills and Force powers to do whatever you wanted. You could be a Jedi who uses Force lighting, if you trained that skill.

In TOR, your class determines what weapons you can use. IE: A smugger can only use blaster pistols, not rifles or heavy weapons. A Trooper can only use blaster rifles or, if you choose the correct skill tree, blaster cannons. You can't use pistols. Neither class can use melee weapons at all. The Sith classes Imperial Agent and Bounty Hunter are the equivalents of those classes, though the weapons are reversed to where agents use rifles and bounty hunters use pistols. Smugglers and agents can only equip light and medium armor, there's no way to change this like there was in the first two games. The Jedi and Sith aren't at all like they were in the original games. Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors are basically melee attackers. They use lightsabers and have very few Force powers (mostly long jumps and ground slams.) The Jedi Guardians and Sith Inquisitors are the "Force users." They have a few basic lightsaber attacks, but are mostly good at using Force powers. What Force powers you can use are determined by your class. IE: a Sith Inquisitor can use Force lighting but can't hurl objects at people. Jedi Guardians can hurl objects but can't use lighting. You have no control over what powers you get, they simply assign them to you as you level up. (actually, you have to buy them using in-game currency, like you do with any acquired skills) What kind of lightsaber you can wield depends on your class. You can't equip two lightsabers or a double blade unless you unlock certain sub-classes, and which ones are available vary depending on your starting class. Basically, they've made the game more like a fantasy MMORPG than a Star Wars MMORPG. Fantasy games limit you like that, whereas the first two KOTOR game didn't.

Other than that, I have the same issues that I always have with MMORPGs. When I install and play KOTOR, I know the game will be the same as it was last time I played. Same with KOTOR II. Sure, that one has more bugs, but I know it won't ever get any worse and the game play won't ever change. In MMORPGs, you get frequent forced updates, many of which cause more bugs than they fix. This is especially true of the major updates with added features. It seems none of these companies can add features without breaking something that worked previously. Also, sometimes the added features will change the way certain things are done in the game and you may have preferred it the way it was before. However, unlike an offline stand-alone game, you cant's simply undo the patch and play the previous version. You have to have it to connect to the game servers.

Otherwise, it's a damn good game. There are eight character classes, each with a unique story line. The only things that repeat from one class to another are the side quests. Everything is voice acted, giving a total immersion game experience. (A lot of MMORPGs have text in some or all of the game in place of voice acting) The limitations to the character abilities are a negative point, but it's not like you can't still create a good character and enjoy the game. You do have a bit of control after you choose your advanced class, which happens after you finish on your starting planet. That's where you make a decision as to what sub-class you want and you get a choice of three skill trees, allowing you some customization over your character's abilities. Plus, now that it's free, you can play all eight story lines without ever paying a dime. (I paid $49 for the game and more money for several months of game time before it went free) You can't do everything because there are limits in the free accounts, but you can still have a good time playing a character's story. Then, when you're done, you can play a new one. You get only two characters total with the free account, but spending $5 on anything they sell gets you a preferred status account with 6 character slots per server and some other perks. That's what I have since I used to be a subscriber.

So, overall, it's good, but it just isn't as good as KOTOR or KOTOR II to me. Though, KOTOR is literally my favorite game of all time, so it takes a lot to measure up to that. ;)
  • joededmanjoededman0 Posts: 0Member
    Same with KOTOR II. Sure, that one has more bugs, but I know it won't ever get any worse and the game play won't ever change.

Just out of curiousity have you folks seen The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod

A rather ambitious mod that takes a lot of the partially completed content that was left on the install media and attempts to complete/fill in with material created by modders. I like most of the restored content. There is a least one added bit that I didn't like. Another part that seemed a little to like "whack-a-mole" to be really enjoyed. (Although I think I seen something was added in later versions to take some of that aspect out. Could have been that I just missed some puzzle that would have made it a lot easier).

There are a couple of other major mods hosted over at deadlystream.com worth looking at as well.

joe
    Did they fix the one or two side quests that literally can't be completed? That's always bugged me.
    They really limited the classes in TOR. ...

Wow that I would call an exhaustive answer! :thumb:
    I guess the thing about the Classes is that they thought it wouldn't really make sense to have different classes if there weren't major differences between them. Although it sounds like they restricted them too much. I can imagine that this is not only frustrating but also rather unrealistic. But, you know, I'm not such a MMORPG-guy anyway. I like my single player games. I would only have a look to breath a bit star wars air. So I guess this would be ok for me. We will see. With my current PC gaming isn't an option anyway. Which sometimes is sad but mostly a good thing because it keeps a major distraction away.

So, now that we are talking about games I guess I finally have to admit that I never ever played KOTOR. I only played the second part once in 2005 or '06. And without having a comparison to the first part I found it to be one of the best games I have ever played.
    Unfortunately I have never tried one of the mods and I won't next time due to the above-mentioned reason. But this Restored-Content sounds like one that is worth trying ... one day. On my endless journey to find reference material I of course stumbled over many screenshots of different mods that mainly tried to upgrade the visual appearance but mostly I found them to look worse afterwards. Just my opinion though.
    Wow that I would call an exhaustive answer! :thumb:
    I guess the thing about the Classes is that they thought it wouldn't really make sense to have different classes if there weren't major differences between them. Although it sounds like they restricted them too much. I can imagine that this is not only frustrating but also rather unrealistic.

The problem is, it's based on standard RPG and MMORPG archetypes.

Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior = Sword fighter (melee dps and tank)
    Jedi Consular/Sith Inquisitor = Mage (ranged dps and spell caster)

Smuggler, Imperial Agent, Trooper and Bounty Hunter are all ranged dps and tank archetypes. If you take away the Star Wars locations, ships, clothing, lightsabers and blasters, you have a basic cookie cutter MMORPG. That's been a major criticism of the game since before it launched. The KOTOR games offered a much more authentic Star Wars experience. You can create a Jedi who has both a lot of melee attacks and had a lot of Force powers. You can't do that in TOR. That's one of the reasons I actually prefer playing non-Jedi/Sith characters.
    But, you know, I'm not such a MMORPG-guy anyway. I like my single player games.

I'm not either. I play a few (more than I thought I ever would.) But, I mostly play single player and barely even associate with other players. I would have much preferred KOTOR III to TOR, but this is what we got.
    So, now that we are talking about games I guess I finally have to admit that I never ever played KOTOR. I only played the second part once in 2005 or '06. And without having a comparison to the first part I found it to be one of the best games I have ever played.

It's not too late. It only requires a 1 GHz single core processor, 256 MB RAM and a 32 MB graphics card with a TNL shader to run. Most computers manufactured in the past half decade or so should run it just fine. It runs on my POS laptop. The game is on Steam and you can still find DVD copies on Amazon. I bought it years ago in the "Star Wars: Best of PC" collection, but I'd played it before on the XBOX when I borrowed a friend's copy. Then I have the second one in the last edition they released where it was on 4 CDs instead of 1 DVD. Both are great games, in my opinion, but the first is the best. KOTOR was what made me love RPGs. I'd played a couple before and liked them, but FPS was my favorite game genre before I played KOTOR. The long, rich, story and galaxy-spanning adventure converted me to an RPG player. I'm a bit "total immersion" story player, where I like to play everything. That's one reason MMORPGs piss me off. The focus of many players and devs is on getting to the highest level as quickly as possible for playing PVP. I'm not much of a PVPer. Take this weekend, for example. TOR is having a "double XP weekend." Like the name suggests, you earn XP at double the normal rate. Unlike some games, there's no way to opt out of this. So, if you play every story and side mission, you'll quickly out level the content and then there's no challenge. I hate that. So, I was playing KOTOR last night. No double XP and it's impossible to out level the content anyway, since the game adapts to your level as you go and increases your enemies' strength accordingly.
    The KOTOR games offered a much more authentic Star Wars experience. The long, rich, story and galaxy-spanning adventure converted me to an RPG player.

Yah, really thats it. I played it in 2005, when I was allready disappointed by all of the three prequel Movies. When I playd KOTOR II I had the feeling I got Star Wars back. Of course it looked allready dated at this time, but it has such a great story and although the graphic isn't state of the art it looks darn nice and very much Star Wars like.
    I would have much preferred KOTOR III to TOR, but this is what we got.

Oh yes wouldn't that have been nice? Damn it, if I had just a little bit knowledge in programming I would make my own.

Just out of curiousity, since you are located in the states I guess you haven't played Gothic. Yust asking 'cause this is the game that made me like RPG's especially the second part. (second parts are my thing I guess)
    You mean this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_(video_game)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/65540/

It was released in the United States. Though, I was in the US Army in basic training at the time. If I ever saw that it was out, it would have been months later, and I don't know if I ever did. I probably wouldn't have paid much attention to it because I've never been a huge fantasy fan, but I do now play the occasional fantasy RPG. (I have a few of the Final Fantasy games and Neverwinter games) Though, I generally do prefer Sci-Fi themed games.
    Yes that's the one I was talking about. Wasn't sure if there was an international release. Although I would also prefer a Sci-Fi game I don't really care for the Genre as long as it has a good story and looks nice. Well the story of this one isn't anything new but it is well told and they have all those funny little sidenotes to the Gothic-Scene. In my Opinion it is more like a declaration of love to a subculture than a serious Fantasy Game. And it is one more example for a Graphic that isn't state of the art but still looks good.

Anyway, back to the ship, if you don't mind.
    Did a new Interior Lighting Test. Basically it's the same setting as in the Cargo-Bay shots. Still very primitive. But I got a little bored by the endless moddeling process lately so I had to play around a bit.

• joededmanjoededman0 Posts: 0Member
    Did they fix the one or two side quests that literally can't be completed? That's always bugged me.

Side quests that were in the restored content mod or the original game?

I just was over at deadlystream.com to see if there was a comprehensive list of content they had restored and I see they have released a new version. There is a nice little history of the mod on the home page and a bit about a their M4-78EP mod. If you go;

Forums -> mod projects -> TSLRCM and then select the 'What's restored in TSLRCM' thread you'll see a list of the content that was restored in the first release of the content mod. Then you can dig through the release notes for all the following versions to see what else was restored. :lol: (I'm sure you'll get right on that)

later,

joe
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    As much as I like KOTOR, I'll stick to BF2. Freakin love that game.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    The lighting is looking good. Interesting view you did there. That's an angle you can't get in the games since you can't go that far forward in the cockpit. ;)