Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDark Knight

13»

• BoogerMcBoogerMc176 Posts: 243Member
    As a huge Batman fan, and one who has built a few batsuits in my time (Check this thread out!), I can honestly say that the newest incarnation is more true to real life than one can imagine; however, it still has its issues. However, the head issue is one that has existed throughout the many incarnations for one very simple reason; to stay true to the comics, one must incorporate the cowl into the neck and in some cases the cape as well. This newest version steps outside of this conventional thought and accepts that this can only work in the comics and cartoons because in reality, to achieve the amount of protection and flexibility required to turn the head in all directions, this simply is not possible using conventional materials. I, myself, have fought with this issue in several of my "real life" batsuits, and still do because to create the cowl there are two basic options available to a costumer. Either buy one or make one; unfortunately, to buy one leaves one at the mercy of the products available. The issue is that there have never been a proper mask available for this with one exception. When Keaton's original Batman came out, there was a 3/4 mask available and it covered everything to the jawline, which was perfect except it was to generic so it could fit many size heads, not to mention it was made of latex rubber, so it had no rigidity. Therefore, while it allowed for head movement, it did not cover the entire head/neck area.

To make one, takes skill, money, and hours of time to go through the process. Not everyone has these in abundance; therefore, making a proper cowl is not always an option. Plus, there is still the conventional thinking issue, which until now has been a problem. With the new batsuit, the cowl is now more of a helmet that fits neatly against the neck of the suit and the cape is separated from both, as it naturally should be. My only issue with this is how the cape attaches, it should not attach at the shoulders, but should overlap at the neck to allow it to cloak the entire body, thus hiding the body as Batman is known to do. In fact, one of the reasons he does this is to shield his movements within the cape by allowing the cape to interact with the shadows so if he wants to reach for something while shrouded by the cape, his movements are hidden and his opponent doesn't see what's coming until it's too late.

Anyway, this is just my two cents worth on the subject.
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Didn't it take them like 4 hours to get Bale into the batsuit? I imagine it was hundreds of attachments they have to get just right when they suit him up. Not very efficient for fighting crime! ;)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Probably. I haven't heard that one, but it seems likely. One thing that has to be a time killer is putting the black makeup around the eyes. ;) That would make for a funny scene. Alfred comes in and says:

"Sir, it will be dark in a few hours, shouldn't you start donning your batsuit?" :lol:
    I heard something similar, but then again, you're talking movies versus real life. If you checked out the thread I linked to, it takes me about 5 minutes, by myself, to get dressed. However, if I were deigning a real suit and had the money to do it right, the suit would be a lot different than what I've made before. In fact, once I'm back on my feet and settled into my own place again, I plan to rebuild the suit because there were just too many issues with it. I'll keep this one, maybe turn it into some sort of bug costume, but it's days as a bat suit are done.

In the real world, with the correct materials, equipment, and construction, I would estimate a maximum of 10 minutes to suit up. As for the black makeup around the eyes, it tales me about 3 to 5 minutes to apply mine, and I use a brush and grease paint. However, if I were doing this on a daily basis, I'd find a quicker, easier way to do it. Perhaps an applicator or something that would allow me to just close my eyes, dab on the black, and be done in seconds. Really though, it isn't necessary because the official DC comics cowl has polarized lenses to protect and obscure his eyes.

However, if you really want to see a great Batman portrayal, look up Bat in the Sun production's City of Scars on You Tube. It is sweat.
    Movies are done with way more factors involved than just getting dressed. Every piece is painstakingly put into place and positioned perfectly, because nothing can be out of place for filming. Then there is makeup and other things to consider that a normal person putting on a batsuit wouldn't worry about. Plus, he's probably not putting the whole thing on himself, people are probably helping to put it on him, which can take a lot longer than just getting dressed. So, it's definitely a more lengthy process than just putting on the thing. Also, I'm wondering if four hours was the normal, or if that was a number that came from an earlier test fitting, where they would be adjusting the suit to make sure it fit perfectly on Christian Bale. You have to figure, the more times they did it, the quicker the process got. (unless that was the quick time)
    Good points, and ,ore or less what I was getting at. Reality versus the movies, in reality things are much simpler.
    Worked on the materials and lighting a bit. Zbrush treats the saving/loading of materials a bit weirder than I am used to so it's been a bit of back and forth and redoing things after I close zbrush...other minor tweaks done that no one else will notice...

batman_20.jpg
    Edit: Oops rendered the wrong file...

Finally was able to figure out how to overcome some problems that I've been having zbrush...mostly files crashing while I was trying to rig. When I would try to move my zsphere rig on batman it'd crash ,but I think I tracked it down to some bad geo on one of the subtools. Because of that I've been able to re-pose the hand and pose the body to something more interesting than standing up straight. Will post something soon, but I feel much better now that I'm not stuck in that pose. There are problably some subtools I have to move around a bit and I cloth simmed his cape and brought it into zb, but needs some more work too...I just have to settle on a dang pose first :)

batman_22.jpg
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Outstanding work,well done!
    I know I keep teasing...but I'm really hoping to get the final done this week. I'm ready to be done with this guy for a while, but really like how well it's turning out! Hope to post a pic in the day or so..
    Here's a proposed final image for myself, might tweak the comp a bit more... he's in his batcave, or some cave...

batman_cave2.jpg
    I'd say it's definitely the Batcave, since the rock he's standing on has obviously been carved. ;) Great pic overall, though I agree that the comp could use a bit of tweaking. I know the camera is supposed to be focused on him, but it wouldn't hurt to maybe bend him and the rock he's standing on into the background and foreground a bit more. Not so much that he disappears, but enough so that it looks less like a comp. (it's a fine line) The rock in front of the one he's standing on is definitely a nice touch, that helps add to the realism.
    Yeah, I agree evil, now I kind of know what I'm doing with the background, maybe I can sculpt some rock down there instead...
    I'm thinking an outcropping of rock maybe like this...

shale.jpg
    I'd say it's definitely the Batcave, since the rock he's standing on has obviously been carved.

Ever since you said this, I can't get this image out of my head of Bruce Wayne feverishly carving a bat symbol into the rock like a mad man lol...
    That looks great. :thumb:
    japetus wrote: »
    Ever since you said this, I can't get this image out of my head of Bruce Wayne feverishly carving a bat symbol into the rock like a mad man lol...

He's in his underwear. Alfred is off to the side, flipping through the "psychiatric care" section of the phone book. :lol:
    I think this is much better...and I discovered I really need to calibrate my monitors....

batman_cave3.jpg

Edit: gah! Wrong image again
    That looks great. I like the bluish tone you gave it.
    Worked the other day on exporting my batman to Max and improving a few things here and there since I've leanrned more about zbrush. This has gone much faster than my Edge of Tomorrow guy! I also downloaded Corona renderer at home and have been messing with that. Pretty nice free (for now at least) render engine that reminds me of VRay if they only left the brute force options in VRay. I'm liking it so far! So my Batman was rendered with that. I'm hoping to get another cool image of him...have to figure out a setting, wanting to do something more city based since I did a cave last time. Been looking at reference here and might use some eventually.

http://cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=113124

batman_max_02.jpg
    That's a great render. I really like the dark look, it's perfect for Batman.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    That looks perfect. Great job.
    the cape has been surprisingly tricky...but i finally got a good workflow down and got the right pattern with garment maker so i might try to bring that out more. His cape is important!!