Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Decals in Blender 2.69

KalshionKalshion0 Posts: 0Member
I'm working on a project where I have a displacement texture (which I am using to show lines on the ships hull) which naturally has a UV map. However, I want to add a decal to it as well that shows the ships name and serial number on the side of its hull, problem is that I have search the net for tutorials on how this can be done and sadly I haven't exactly had much luck... most tutorials seems to only use the internal renderer and I don't use the internal one (I use Cycles Render)

So how is this done exactly?
Post edited by Kalshion on
Tagged:

• McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    I have an answer! Unfortunately, I don't have much time right now to dash off a reply. I'll try to answer in more detail later, but the short version is that you need to set up your shader to either use a Generated UV (Texture Coordinate node > Generated output) as your Texture node's Vector input and then plug a Mapping node in-between them to rescale the Generated texture to the size/position you want or create a second UV map and then use the Attribute node, with the name of the UV map specified, as your Vector input.

Here's an example (click to embiggen):
    decal_mapping_nodes.png
  • KalshionKalshion0 Posts: 0Member
    Interesting node set up, although a bit confusing to me; mainly due to the node groups and not knowing what is in them. Is this perhaps the only way to add a decal?
    There's only one Node Group in that setup, and you can pretend it isn't actually there. All it does is mix the various texture inputs into Diffuse/Specular/Bump equivalent channels. If you're only worried about putting a decal on top of an existing texture, without altering the material qualities of it, then it's a non-issue.

That node setup actually has three decals on it, all projecting in different directions and masked off from projecting "through" the mesh, all without using UVs, which is why it's so convoluted.

Here's a much simpler node setup, using the second method I mentioned of using multiple UV Maps:
    decals.jpg

If you want something simpler than that...I think you're out of luck. :D That one takes all of 5 minutes to set up from a blank scene.
    Ahh that is much more simple, I'll try that out thanks McC :)

By the way, with Multiple UV's, do you need to unwrap the mesh for each UV or just once? (I've never used multiple UV's)
    Kalshion wrote: »
    By the way, with Multiple UV's, do you need to unwrap the mesh for each UV or just once? (I've never used multiple UV's)
    If you've already got one UV unwrapped, the next one you create should inherit the exact same map from the previous one, which you can then tweak to your heart's content! :)
    Had to do a minor tweak to your set up so it could work with what I had (I wasn't using an image fill for the main hull, was only using a displacement texture, I was using Blenders Diffuse and Glossy to make a shiny hull) in order to get the decal to show. thank you very much McC :D
    Glad to be of assistance!