Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Homeworld Remastered

MaxxRushMaxxRush180 Posts: 168Member
edited March 2014 in General Discussion #1
http://www.homeworldremastered.com/

Is anyone else looking forward to this as much as *I* am?
Post edited by MaxxRush on
Tagged:

• SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Interesting!

I never could get the hang of the control scheme, though. The real-time, 3-D element just threw me. I much prefer turn-based (though that would cripple the coolness of Homeworld).

Wonder if they're going to include the PDS upgrades?
  • MaxxRushMaxxRush180 Posts: 168Member
    If I knew what the PDS upgrades are, I might be able to make an informed guess. Since I don't, I'll make an *uninformed* guess and say that they probably won't. The impression I get is that it's more or less a graphics upgrade, as well as some code tweaking to make it play nice with current hardware and version(s) of Windows (not that it matters - I still play it on Win7 64-bit with the only issue being that everything is stretched on my widescreen panel, even after editing the configuration file) with the original gameplay intact. I couldn't care less about the multiplayer element since I don't do MP.

I never modded Homeworld, so I'm not familiar with any of the mods available, although someone I "work" with in my Honorverse work was apparently involved with working on the PDS mod (from what I understand, he joined later on in the development), and one other mod. He currently works for whoever does Star Trek Online doing GUI stuff for them.

One thing I'm curious about is whether or not they are going to include the Raider Retreat missions. These were a couple of missions that were cut from the original game before release, but became available a few months later through a free disc that I picked up at Gamestop (and, I assume as a download - I never bothered checking because I still have the original game and RR discs). They follow the game after you defeat the raiders that attacked and destroyed the Khar-Selim in the first mission after launching the mothership, and have you follow them to their base and destroy it.

In a way, I hope they leave the original cinematics (the "hand-drawn" cutscenes) as they are. They are still effective, IMO, while playing the game.

I don't understand what was so hard about the controls for moving/looking around. I took to it pretty well, considering it was only the second PC game I ever played (first was Descent: Freespace - The Great War). Oddly enough, I don't like turn-based games all that much. I suppose that maybe I had an easier time because I wasn't already used to turn-based strategy games and their gameplay mechanics...
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    Interesting!

I never could get the hang of the control scheme, though. The real-time, 3-D element just threw me. I much prefer turn-based (though that would cripple the coolness of Homeworld).

Wonder if they're going to include the PDS upgrades?
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    I totally loved the atmosphere in H1, that's why I'm looking forward to play the remastered version.
    H2 was to hard for me, I stopped playing it from mission 4 or 5 or so.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    PDS (short for Point Defense System) was a total overhaul of the Homeworld --and later, Homeworld 2--combat system. It involved new beam effects--and, yes, a LOT of beam spam--new visuals for drives, weapons and defenses interacting, as well as hits. It also added literal point-defense physics for all scales of weapons, making it possible for any weapon to engage any target, but with diminishing capacity depending on design (ion cannon turret vs. fighter? Possible, but not recommended).

You can still find many a video for it on YouTube, though I'm not sure their website is still running. Like I said, I was never able to get comfortable with the Homeworld UI to worry about playing it--modded or not.
  • MaxxRushMaxxRush180 Posts: 168Member
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    PDS (short for Point Defense System) was a total overhaul of the Homeworld --and later, Homeworld 2--combat system. It involved new beam effects--and, yes, a LOT of beam spam--new visuals for drives, weapons and defenses interacting, as well as hits. It also added literal point-defense physics for all scales of weapons, making it possible for any weapon to engage any target, but with diminishing capacity depending on design (ion cannon turret vs. fighter? Possible, but not recommended).

You can still find many a video for it on YouTube, though I'm not sure their website is still running. Like I said, I was never able to get comfortable with the Homeworld UI to worry about playing it--modded or not.

Hmmm... I can get it if I wanted it, whether the site is up or not. Like I mentioned upthread, I know one of the people that worked on it later in its development, as well as another mod. I don't think he has the "final" version, though. That was the impression I got from reading some stuff he wrote elsewhere.

That said, I probably wouldn't mod it anyway, since the only mods I would be interested in (graphics) are basically being rendered pointless with the Remaster. As far as I'm concerned, Homeworld's gameplay is just fine as it is, and I never felt there was any problems with the balance. But then, I'm not really a hardcore gamer, where I get all twitchy because a particular weapon seems slightly over/underpowered.

Most of the 200+ mods I run on Skyrim are graphics related. If they're weapon or armor mods, their stats are pretty much in line with vanilla stats, but I get them due to their looks. If I *really* like something that could be considered buffed/nerfed too much, I can always tweak the stats myself.