Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalTOS U.S.S Enterprise 1/350th Scale

PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
edited August 2016 in Work in Progress #1
Since finishing my Optimus Prime about a year and a half ago, I got the itch to build a physical model again. I have started on Polar Lights 1/350th TOS Enterprise. I want mine to be as close to the studio model as possible, so I elected to fill in the recessed gridlines with putty. A LOT of work, let me tell ya. Just finished sanding the upper saucer down, and I think it's looking smooth. I hope to get some primer on it tonight or tomorrow.

c8FDcowh.jpg
b8fAauI.jpg
RxoD1mT.jpg
tqDnVWR.jpg
102993.jpg
Post edited by PixelMagic on
Tagged:

• mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Following along...
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    That's a lot of work for making your model, essentially, less detailed. But I understand where you're going with it.
    It's gonna be interesting to follow this. :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I'm liking this project so far. You're starting off by fixing the one thing I don't like about that kit: those gouged grid lines. :thumb:
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Seems like a great project!
    The TOS Enterprise did have a hull grid, but in her case that's something that would need to be added using pencil lines, not carved into the surface.
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    First coat of primer.

3SXvOwn.jpg
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Ah yes, exactly what I would do!

Looking good! and good luck with it!

Are you going to light it ??
    Ah yes, exactly what I would do!

Looking good! and good luck with it!

Are you going to light it ??

Thank you. Yes, it will be fully lit.
    It looks fantastic with the hull smoothed out. :thumb:

Are you going to use the lighting kit that was released for this model or do your own thing?
    Are you going to use the lighting kit that was released for this model or do your own thing?

I will probably use the lighting kit. It's my first attempt to light a model.
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    I will probably use the lighting kit. It's my first attempt to light a model.

Cool, it looks like a nice kit.
    Finally got rid of all the gridlines on the upper saucer with the Dupli-color Filler Primer. However, while applying MANY coats, I worked on the shuttlecraft. Here is the progress so far.

KmDsVXK.jpg
    xOthBsZ.jpg
    Nice work. That's a tiny shuttle. I know it's to scale with the ship, I'm just saying it's tiny. ;) Sometimes, doing work on something so small can be really tough, but it looks like you're handling having no difficulties.
    Nice work. That's a tiny shuttle. I know it's to scale with the ship, I'm just saying it's tiny. ;) Sometimes, doing work on something so small can be really tough, but it looks like you're handling having no difficulties.

Except for the eye strain after painting and decaling. Ha. I almost stayed permanently cross eyed. :)
    I don't blame you. I'm looking at a penny, thinking of the size, and trying to imagine putting decals on a shuttle that small. Thinking about it almost makes you go cross eyed, without actually doing it. :lol:
    Got the lower saucer gridlines mostly filled in and sanded. A bit more work to do, but it's almost there.

0zN6ItK.jpg
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    Finally got rid of all the gridlines on the upper saucer with the Dupli-color Filler Primer. However, while applying MANY coats, I worked on the shuttlecraft. Here is the progress so far.

KmDsVXK.jpg
    xOthBsZ.jpg
    how did you manage that at such a small scale?
    Looking good. I'll bet this has been a tedious process.
    IRML wrote: »
    how did you manage that at such a small scale?

Manage what? I am unsure what you are referring to.
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    All you really need is patience. And a steady hand.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Manage what? I am unsure what you are referring to.

Probably referring to the application of decals and other detailing on that shuttlecraft.
    Lighting kit for this arrived. So excited!

iHOjwkQ.jpg
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    I so want one of these or one of those ones Steve Neil was selling, issue is where to put the thing. Got me looking at one of the 1/1000s I bought back on 08 to find it is missing the deflector spire, guess there was a void and that part did not fill in.

I really do not get the grid lines on the 1/350 kit, the way they cross over other elements like those triangle things on the bottom etc.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I really do not get the grid lines on the 1/350 kit, the way they cross over other elements like those triangle things on the bottom etc.

Just last weekend I filled in those grid lines near the triangle foot pads on the bottom saucer. It was difficult.
    Great news. The lighting kit looks great. I'll second what MKF said about wanting one. (And the part about the lines)
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Oh! Lighting! getting all the bells and whistles.. this thing gets expensive! But I've seen them at competitions, and they look great! Saving up for one myself!
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Very nice. Yeah, I've heard filling in and sanding the grids is a lot of work.
    Very nice. Yeah, I've heard filling in and sanding the grids is a lot of work.

I probably have 20 hours in just the top saucer alone after trial and error. The bottom saucer is even harder to fill in the grids, but I'm almost done with it.
    Minor update. Bottom saucer has it's first coat of primer. Unfortunately, the gridlines are still very visible here and there, but covered in other places. I'll have to do a lot of touch up work to get them all gone. Then I'll do the last little bit with high build primer to fill in the small imperfections. The top saucer is fully filled and primed, ready for the paint coats.

McqkZ2o.jpg
    I'm sure you can see them clearly in person, but the lines aren't visible in the photo. (I even enlarged it) You're doing great work on getting rid of them. :thumb:

Incidentally, has anybody ever figured out where that hole in the front of the saucer comes from? I've only ever put it on one of my CGI models and I still don't know why I did. I've watched every episode of TOS (most of them multiple times) and I've never seen a hole there.
    Another small update. These darn gridlines are holding me back from building the rest of the ship. I assume once they are gone, the build will go much more quickly.

Using Perfect Plastic Putty did not work out well for me. After sanding I was left with micro potholes all over the gridlines, and the PPP seemed to not ever get flush with the main hull, even after sanding smooth. The primer coat revealed completely unacceptable visibility of the gridlines still there.

So at the suggestion of Ross W, I believe it was, I tried Acrylic Modeling Paste. Now, this stuff is not intended for model building or filling seams, but it seems to do the job. I found this at Hobby Lobby in the materials for painting canvas and oil painting. It is non toxic and water washup. So far the gridlines seem to be much better filled than the Perfect Plastic Putty gave me. Very easy to sand as well. We'll know for sure when I get it all sanded and hit with another layer of primer.

LkT8crP.jpg
    g4YcGBh.jpg