Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DClassic Space Lego - Galaxy Explorer WIP

1789101113»

• SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Takes me back to a kid.
    I used to have the Lego Explorian Starship. http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/walter-kovacs/Review-6932/img_1.jpg

I loved the main weapon that came out the cargo bay in the back. This is when toys were toys.
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Thanks all!

Wow, the Explorian Starship is pretty intricate! I'm afraid that I didn't do much Lego Space collecting after '79, '80. :( That said, I was able to rediscover Lego through the eyes of my son years later - turns out that I still love it as much as I ever did. :) I swear playing with Lego as a kid still plays a big part in my approach to deconstructive problem solving as an adult.

More to come!
  • uniderthuniderth1 Posts: 0Member
    Your renders are amazing. Are you sure you didn't just break out your old Lego kits and photograph them?
    Haha no, the renders don't have teeth marks. :)

Thank you!
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    Takes me back to a kid.
    I used to have the Lego Explorian Starship. http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/walter-kovacs/Review-6932/img_1.jpg

I loved the main weapon that came out the cargo bay in the back. This is when toys were toys.

Oh man can I be jealous of that set? :) I grew up with a lot of space police, blacktron, and the iceplanet guys. Still love those sets. I like to still buy a lego set once a year or so if I have some spare birthday money or something, but they don't make them like that anymore...
    I don't think that I ever posted the finished version of this one:

mobile_rocket_transport_deployed_WIP.2.jpg
    104563.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Dude, that's freaking sweet. If you put that in a realistic room setting, it could look like a real Lego set sitting on a table or desk, or something. :)
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    oh man that are memories. I had this one und some other LEGO Space packs. Long ago .... long ago :)

great work!
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Holy crap, stonky. That latest render just gave me a massive dose of nostalgia. I didn't even remember owning that set until I looked at your pic, but seeing it again brought back memories of playing with it at least 20 years ago. Amazing stuff. And fantastic modeling mate. :)
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Love it.

When I was a kid, there was nothing more cool than that transparent yellow lego.

Well maybe microanuts figures, but they were transparent too.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    nice!
  • xumucanexumucane0 Posts: 0Member
    I had this set! Wow. Really fantastic job. You even got the background perfect. I would have just assumed this was one of the images from the little fold-out intructions.
    Thanks all, more to come! One of the changes here was that I substituted "medium stone grey" with the original, now defunct, "light grey" color used in the older kits. I want to finally get the baseplates from the Galaxy Explorer set finished this weekend. I have some of the other smaller kits done as well that I'll put together in a wider diorama.

Classic space from the upcoming Lego Movie:

space_lego.jpg

Can't wait! The kit in the background is on my "to do" list. :)
    104598.jpg
    I have the instructions for that kit in the background also. I was going to do it when I was on my Lego kick a while back but I never got around to it. The Lego Movie looks like it's going to be a blast. :D
    Minor update, modeling work on one of the baseplates:

baseplate.jpg
    104607.jpg
    That looks great. :)
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Great progress, as always!
    I've always been more a fan of the "City" line of kits and the "Technic" models, but those images bring back some fond memories!
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic work Stonky, can feel the love in your modeling ;)
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Always loved that moon plate, you have really done it justice.
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    offtopic: anyone else just love how the Classic Space character in the new movie previews has the cracked helmet chinbar? allll my old helmets of that style would break like that :)

ontopic: Stonky, i just love it when this thread pops up again. you know how much i love the lego-modeling!