Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLion Voltron in Blender

Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
edited March 2014 in Work in Progress #1
I've come to realize lately that there's more to life than obsessing over Trek meshes. There's also giant robot meshes, which I have not even started to master! So as a little side project, I thought I would take a stab at making meshes of my favorite giant robot of all time, Lion Voltron. I figured the Lions would be relatively easy to model and animate. And they would be loads of fun to have, so why not give it a try?

Here you can see my efforts so far.

RL2.jpg

RL1.jpg

RL3.jpg

I think I'm getting it, but it's a lot harder than it looks. Right now the mesh looks more like the toys than the animated lion, and eventually I would like her to look more muscular and dynamic, like she did on the show. But I still want her to really function like the Matchbox or Toynami figures do. So there's going to be some balance and trade-offs involved. I don't know how far I will get, but it will be a fun side project when I get tired of federation starships. Also I would like to learn how to animate rigged figures, and this might be a good way to start that as well.

Comments welcome as always.
104157.jpg
Post edited by Polaris 004 on
Tagged:

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Looks good.
    I never heard of the program though.
  • meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    Very interesting,blender brother.The mouth you should try to modify it.It looks to much with a plier.
    Overall a interesting design.;)
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    I was gonna do one of these (a Voltron thread). Still am if I ever get the time. Great start. :thumb:
  • NightShadowNightShadow10 Posts: 0Member
    Very interesting indeed! I definitely remember the show and the toys (I never owned any of the toys but had friends who did and always enjoyed playing with them when I was younger. The vehicle version of Voltron was a beast to mess with and a nightmare to assemble- I hated the toy version of it). I seem to recall the lion's neck being more articulated that what you have here, though I'm sure you're only in the beginning stages of the project. Looks like you've got some segmentation on the shoulders- might wanna fix that before you get much further along.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Looks similar to the machine of the Yellow Power Ranger :D Looking forward to seeing more because, as you said, there's way too much trek over here :p The mesh is looking good so far.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Pfffff...Power Rangers. They just ripped off all the great 80s anime series. They wish they could be this cool:
    ^ Anytime you've got Optimus Prime doing your intro, you've gotto be bad@$$. :p
    And to let you all know, there was a third voltron series we (the U.S.) never got.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eVBHClCcMQ&feature=related
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Awesome, Polaris. I've been rewatching these on Netflix lately. Really looking forward to seeing how this develops. :)
    Oh and there was also another Voltron Series we never got. This one was actually intended to be the third series, rhere were to be four to my knowledge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtDMM2ZmN_s&feature=related

And if you need reference pics, here's a link to a few I've collected in the past: The link is here!

GO LION!
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Wow. Still lots of luv out there for Voltron. I was obsessed with this show when it started running back when I was in the fourth grade.

Anyway, small update. I'm a little freaked out that this is going so well. I had expected to run into a lot of annoying problems and gaps in my knowledge, but it's been pretty straightforward so far. This is by far my most elaborate and complex mesh modeling to date.

RL5.jpg

RL4.jpg

I'm still working on the basic shapes and proportions. On the program, the lion's legs always looked bigger, but I can't make them that big and still function for transformation, unless I cheat, which I don't want to do. I'm still figuring out how to make the neck and waist joint function on multiple axis. The leg shapes are probably not final, but I did fix that segmentation problem, Thanks for seeing that, Nightshadow.

Right now, this lion looks like one of the toys, mostly because I'm using my Toynami figure as a visual reference. But I hope to move it more in the anime model direction, as much as that's possible. I may have to get out the DVDs and so some screencaps...
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    I've been working a bit on these lions, on and off, and have made enough progress to show. I mostly re-used the Red Lion Head for the Green Lion, with minor adjustments, but I had to build an entirely new body. I don't really know how to animate these yet, but it's actually a surprising amount of fun just posing them!

Once I get the Red Lion materials textured a bit, I'm going to move on the the Blue lion.

greenLionfly1_zpsd04ef72c.jpg

redlion3_zps927b4399.jpg

greenLion1_zps558eba40.jpg

greenLionsit_zps1e18f92f.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I didn't know you'd started on this. I was an '80s kid, so I grew up on shows like this. Now I have the Beast King GoLion Voltron (AKA, Voltron Lion Force) on DVD. Great series. I'd heard they were trying to do a live action/CGI movie, but the last I heard there was a big fight over who owns the rights.

Anywho, the lions are looking great so far. I see you started with the arms. :D
  • flazzaflazza0 Posts: 0Member
    I used to have the toys, until I made the mistake of taking it with me to primary school and some kid knicked it, never found out who :(

These models really brings back a lot of good memories
  • DavidChipmanDavidChipman171 Posts: 0Member
    This is aswesome! As another Blender-head who grew up with Lion Voltron, I've wanted to do this for a while. Good to see it!