Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DInteractive Concordia Hangar (Wing Commander 2)

Howard DayHoward Day632 Posts: 434Member
edited November 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Hey, guys. I have been inspired by the Star Citizen hangar release, and thought I'd give replicating their scene a shot. And since I have high res versions of the Wing Commander Broadsword and Scimitar, I thought I'd let you guys see what they look like. It's pretty crazy how well they hold up. I still need to add some detail around the cockpit area, and around the landing gear... but it's pretty impressive what unity can do when worked on in an couple of evenings. Here's a link!
http://www.hedfiles.net/ConcordiaHangar/ConcordiaHangar.html
I added fancy glass shaders, and tweaked the paint on the Broadsword.
It's using the default unity character guy - though I do plan on replacing him at a later point.
I'm also working on a new version of the WC2 Ferret, which should be done tonight.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
103806.png
Post edited by Howard Day on
Tagged:

• Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    Loving in Brad. Too bad SC won't work with your texture method. Whatever happened to the pioneer mod, and it's possible WC1/2 remakes?
  • Howard DayHoward Day632 Posts: 434Member
    ..Loving in Brad? :P

Pioneer is dead, at least as far as I know. If I can get some of the models in here to walk around and see, then that's good enough for me. I've never really gotten a feel for how big the Broadsword is... and just how cool it feels to stand next to it.
    Ugh, sorry howie, my brain leaked out my ears today after editing a test plan
    So Tonight I did more work on the Ferret and some work on getting color grading in. I've never had a chance to work with color grading before, and I freaking love it!
    Early Test:
    http://www.hedfiles.net/ColorGrading.PNG
    In engine running:
    Grading_01.png
    Grading_02.png
    Grading_03.png

I've updated the build at:
    Remember, hit "F" for fullscreen!

Enjoy!
  • PipPip171 Posts: 0Member
    That looks really cool - Kinda wish I could jump into the cockpits now. :)
    Not sure why, but the character keeps walking forwards when I'm not hitting any buttons.

Anyway what ships do you have in Star Citizen? I have a Constellation and a 325a myself - But I'm really looking forward to the ability to invite friends on board, since several people in my Star Citizen Guild has Idris corvettes! :D
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    awesome
    Very cool Howie, are you going to give the ferrets InSys schemes, like in the game, or fleet colors? If fleet colors, probably something along the lines of the other Concordia birds would look nice, or have one InSys and the rest fleet.

I will probably get SC when it comes out, if it has a good storyline, but am not going to pay into it right now. Not going to spend hundreds of dollars just to get the cool craft upfront. I guess I am old school that way and have higher priorities, mortgage, private school, day care, etc...
    Okay, I've topped off the initial pass on the Ferret - It's missing its rear landing gear, and a lot of its internal stuff (I need to make new generic textures to support this) I'll also be replacing the current pilot's chair.

Ferret_01.png
    Ferret_02.png
    Ferret_03.png

Ferret_04.png
    Ferret_05.png
    And I also gave a shot at the Concordia Fleet colors. Very, very open to suggestions on this one. Since the additional art pass will have to happen anyway, this will definitely change.
    Ferret_06.png
    Ferret_07.png
    Ferret_08.png

It's in the build, Both Rough Concordia, Bare metal, and preliminary gear raising animations!!

I also quieted down the music. Sorry about that.
    Enjoy!
    can't wait to see this when I get home, can't at work, bugger
    I updated the build with the latest in the Ferret Model! It's got a cockpit now, and functional landing gear.I also replaced all the chairs in the build with new art.

Ferret_10.png

Ferret_11.png
    Ferret_12.png
    Ferret_13.png
    Ferret_14.png
    Ferret_15.png
    Ferret_16.png
    Ferret_17.png
    Ferret_18.png
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    This is all looking fantastic!
    Both you and Unity never cease to amaze me. :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Ok, finish modeling all the fighters, ships, etc... import all the missions from WC1/2 into unity and rip all the cutscenes in as well, and make us a WC1/2 remake already, lol. Great work
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    looks great work, but not so keen on the fighters shown here. they mostly seem to be arrows with large fins at the rear. there is no doubt from those renders that it is very well lit, the engine glow looks great.
    SF learn you freaking history these are from Wing COmmander 2, one of the best space flight shooter/sims ever.
    Slight update - added the InSys Paint scheme to the build, also fiddled with the Concordia scheme a bit.
    I think I'm done fiddling for the time being - I need to work on the hangar itself.

Enjoy!
    103283.jpg103284.jpg103285.jpg103286.jpg
    Added the F-57 Sabre to the Hangar - still texturing it, and adding detail. I hope to finish it today.
    103523.jpg103524.jpg103525.jpg103526.jpg103527.jpg
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    that F 57 is great, nice design ad well textured. will there be any other types of craft in the hangar except for those already shown?
  • ami23neami23ne0 Posts: 0Member
    good job
    Howie, that is just insanely cool, how long before the hanger itself forms around the fighters? I would love to be able to walk in from the launch tube to find all those cool fighters waiting for me, and see the ones up in the racks. Any plans to make the storage/Mx decks below the main hanger?
    Howie-

I was looking at the latest build, and progess on the CIC. What about redesigning the crossbow turret into an unmanned or remotely controlled turret? That way it would be smaller and still fit in the area.
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208171 Posts: 0Member
    This looks really good!

Wing Commander always had some great and simple designs, despite their "simplicity."
    spacefighter: Thanks! No, the ones in the hangar are the only ones I'm going to show. Several are completely unfinished,though!
    Knight26: Thanks! Well, the hangar is starting to form now, but there's still a long way to go, but luckily I figured out some major optimizations I can to to make it easier to put together! I'm not currently looking at doing the storage and maint decks..it's tempting, but I just don't know what I'd do!
    I did manage to make the Crossbow turret a normal man operated turret, it's just 80% the size of the other turrets, which works with the fiction of Hobbes being too big to fit in it!
    alonzo11208: Thanks, I really appreciate it! And that's what I've always said - WC was way ahead of its time, and had iconic designs all over the place!

So update! Started putting markings on the hangar floor! I also completed (mostly) the Crossbow, and painted the Sabre in a new paint scheme!
    Enjoy!
    103801.jpg103802.jpg103803.jpg103804.jpg103805.jpg
  • raytridiraytridi0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice modeling and texturing. Also engines are looks good.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    fantastic, don't know if you've noticed it already but I should mention the AO is messing with the bloom effect of the engines
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    This blows my mind. o_O