Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNatasha - Mk2

CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
edited November 2013 in Work in Progress #1
I think I started this model off in '05, and last worked on it a few years ago - I think i built her a new hand toward the end of the decade. Recently, a client wanted a historical clothing demo (its usually spandex, spacesuits and power armor:D), so I started building her this sort of renaissance fair, vaguely wench-ish outfit, (yes, I'm an old perv, whatever, at least she now has some clothes:lol:) which has a nice mix of loose and puffy, and tight, stretchy clothing effects. presently the clothing uses a different rig, running in parallel with the body rig - probably clothing and skin should use the same rig but this offers more flexibility.

Hopefully, I can get her finished some time in this decade, and now I have the RAM etc, to allow a much better simulation of things like hair and some other technical issues that I couldn't overcome at the time, short of hooking up the doll and hacking a defense mainframe, I just didn't have the power.
103782.jpg
103783.jpg
Post edited by Coolhand on

• MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    I am immediately drawn to say she is looking very perky today!
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Nice start on the clothes so far. Are modeling or simulating the folds? Id check out her hand, I think her fingers are too spread out. At least MY hands cant go that wide...
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    Some people can spread their hands far wider than that, certain musicians for example, but here the fingers are spread wide to enable easier envelope control for the rigging, same reason why you don't model legs close together or arms straight down if you're using envelopes - you don't want the envelope from one finger influencing another, but you do want it influencing the hand to some extent, so the further apart the better.

Even so, I'm actually surprised you say you couldn't match that span.

everything here is hand poly-modelled.

here's a close up for martok and the other sailors.
    103787.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I find it impressive that you've stuck with this project for eight years. (I couldn't do that) You're doing excellent work, as usual. The hair and clothing are really well done. Also, I noticed the skin wrinkles and whatnot from where her fingers and other joints bend. It's all looking nice and realistic.
    Thanks EG, always nice to know its appreciated, beyond the tits;) getting everything to both look and function as it should is a huge challenge, I haven't even opened the file in three years so I haven't really stuck with it, but its something you can keep coming back to, because really it'll never be finished, just pass through varying stages of presentability, she's not far from the point where i'd be happy to start making some artwork featuring her tho.
    I want her to live. I want her to breathe. I want her to aerobicize.
    ;)
    Coolhand wrote: »
    I want her to live. I want her to breathe. I want her to aerobicize.

OK, I think my weird science quote may fall on deaf ears... perhaps aerobicising is a bit much for her atm, she could just about manage to look at the camera and give a spreaded-fingers wave to the folks at home though.;)
    103788.jpg
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Nice model. The spread seems good, the fingers look rather long, though.
    yes i'm wondering if the hands aren't just a bit too big overall, and sure maybe the fingers are a bit too thin/long. possibly I could just bring the fingers in a bit by scaling the bones that they follow.
    If you either fatten the fingers or thin down the main part of the hand, I think it will be OK. I have long skinny fingers, but they're not that skinny in relation to my hands.

I've never seen Weird Science . (Besides, I wasn't online between those replies, even if I had recognized it.;))
  • ZeropointZeropoint0 Posts: 0Member
    Somehow, "historical clothing" doesn't say to me "a skirt so short you can see her underwear on both ends." :p

However, the modeling is good and she's quite the attractive woman. It's a hot outfit, too!
    At least MY hands cant go that wide...

I just checked and mine go a little wider. <shrug>
    I think whats happening here is the hand is becoming stretched out when its raised like that, the forearm has an envelope thats influencing the vertexes in the hand, it should only influence as far as the end of the wrist.

hmm, after some further investigation, I'm sure the second and third bone of every finger shouldn't be this long, I don't think I modelled it like this.

really everyone modelling a 3D female, or if you're a socially awkward teenager, should watch Weird Science. Srsly, i've referenced it twice already and no ones noticed.
    103789.jpg
    Zeropoint wrote: »
    Somehow, "historical clothing" doesn't say to me "a skirt so short you can see her underwear on both ends." :p

However, the modeling is good and she's quite the attractive woman. It's a hot outfit, too!

Now, I didn't say, 'historically accurate';)
    The stretching issue explains a lot.
    Zeropoint wrote: »

It does if it's Steampunk. ;)
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    The stretching issue explains a lot.

It does if it's Steampunk. ;)

Haha! Nice job Steve.:)