Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Phishing-claims

AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
edited December 2013 in General Discussion #1
Something most unusual happened the last 2 days.
Starting on 14th, I was unable to reach this site. It was auto-blocked by a service (which was claimed to be free, albeit I've not subscribed to any service at all) called OpenDNS. It was claimed that this site is phishing. I've made a screenshot of this issue.

Did any one else ever experienced something similar?
And in how far is this OpenDNS service actually even trustworthy enough (or eligible to make such claims)?
103780.png
Post edited by Aresius on

• IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    are you actually using open DNS? or did this come up randomly
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    never seen that block screen myself. you might well be infected.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    It came up "randomly"; it was your site alone so far, but up to that point, I've never even heard about them.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9714 Posts: 5,302Member
    I sure hope you did not send a message to them as that image suggests. it could be possible your isp is routing through them or something is. I would not doubt if this sit was sent into a "watchdog group" with the hacks and amounts of spammers. Hell it could even be one of the spammers reporting the site to be vindictive at being banned. Big problem with watchdogs is if they dfo not verify the reports it can easily be abused. I have seen it done to other sites in the past.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • uniderthuniderth1 Posts: 0Member
    I've had this same thing but it is only on my home Internet. It doesn't matter what device I use it's blocked. It started about two day ago as well. I can access the site if I use my Tor browser but then an Admin bans my IP. So basically I can't access this site at home anymore. I have no idea what openDns is or how my home Internet got routed through them.
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Possibly your ISPs are using it?
    My ISP is KabelBW, a substitute of KabelDeutschland who runs all internet and phone over the cable-TV lines. According to some KabelDeutschland forums, a year ago OpenDNS servers (and several other DNS-services) were not even reachable from both providers. Their systems were blocking eachother.
  • Preston NevinsPreston Nevins0 Posts: 0Member
    I've had my router set to use OpenDNS (here: http://www.opendns.com ), along with DNSCrypt, for well over a year, and indeed a few days ago they started blocking Scifi-Meshes as a suspected phishing site. It's still blocked as of today, 2013-11-20.

When I drop back to using my ISP's DNS servers (like I'm doing now to post this) I can access SFM normally. I've never run across OpenDNS blocking a site that I use before.

Could it be related to this recent thread? http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?80468-has-this-site-been-hacked

I wouldn't know why their block would apply to someone who hasn't set things up to use their DNS servers though (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 for the record)...

I sent them feedback, but no reply.
    Since my last post here, it was still accessible for a few hours, but from then onwards, it remains blocked. I'm currently at my gf and it works from her, albeit she uses the same ISP...
    I've a hunch, I'll check that one tomorrow when I return home.
    Okay, hunch checked; wrong one.
    I'm running via a proxy-system to help keep your privacy. I thought that this DNS-stuff tries to inhibit privacy services, so I deactivated it. But it's still blocked... :/
  • Preston NevinsPreston Nevins0 Posts: 0Member
    Anyway I worked around it by making an OpenDNS login (as opposed to just plugging in their DNS server numbers) and setting scifi-meshes.com to "Never block." Shouldn't have to go to all this trouble, but at least it worked...
    :/ Great. Another login to remember...
    And why? Because they supply a service I never asked.