Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDark Knight

japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
edited October 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Started a new project a few weeks ago modeling Nolan's Batman from The Dark Knight series. Not setting out to do it totally perfectly, but just to mostly make an awesome Batman. He's my favorite super hero and I grew up drawing him all the time. I'm really liking things for the most part. I plan on working on his mask and face a bit more, other things I feel are more final. I hope to pose him in ZBrush and place him against some moody city stuff, but we'll see how far this gets. It's going surprisingly quickly so we'll see. Enjoy!

batsuit_08.jpg
107154.jpg
Post edited by japetus on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Sweet. He's my favorite too. That's looking really good so far.
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Messed with some of the shaders a bit, added beveling to the leg pads. Some of it is going through the body mesh, will have to fix that, but less blobby now I think. I have to line up the panels a bit better as well. I had forgotten about the Shell modifier's Bevel profile option, so it was very easy to add that beveling into the mesh and now it's easily modifiable as well. One of the next big challenges for me is getting the nested circle cloth texturing looking better. I've work on this before with athletic shoes and it's one of the most annoying cloth patterns out there I think.

batsuit_09.jpg
    Looking great. :thumb:

Is that cloth texture you're talking about for his gloves? That's the only thing I can think of where that might be applicable.
    Looking great. :thumb:

Is that cloth texture you're talking about for his gloves? That's the only thing I can think of where that might be applicable.
    I was referring to the body suit under the armor that you can see. I have some good zbrush tests going with teh noise maker, so I'll probably just end up using that in the end.
    Ah, that makes sense. I forgot they made it more like plates over a mesh suit, as opposed to the more or less "solid" armor they had in the first film. Though, I'd imagine the gloves use the same material. ;)
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    That's nice, dude! I just watched the first part of "The Dark Knight Returns" so I've got batsuits on the brain.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Very awesome work... the Nolan Batman is my favorite.
    Did some pose tests in ZBRush with a human rig I made. Things turned out pretty well, a few panels that bent wrong, but overall I'm happy...
    batsuit_zgrab1.jpg

ZGrab01.jpg
    ZGrab06.jpg
    ZGrab07.jpg
    ZGrab08.jpg
    Very cool.. though I'm hearing Genesis' "I Can't Dance" in my head when I see those poses.
    He's just practicing his lunges.... ;)
    Here's the latest! Been trying to make his head a bit better. Hard to really get it right with the short spurts I get to work on this but it's getting close. Really need to make a texture for the mouth. The eyes are a bit sad too, want to make them more scowly!
    batsuit_11.jpg
    It looks like somebody just told him his pet bat died. :lol:

Seriously, you're doing great work. I'm sure you'll get that look you want with the facial features. Also, that mesh body suit texture really came out great. :thumb:
    http://youtu.be/01vWvocMc6M

Been cracking up with these batman videos. They are really well done parodies

Edit: wrong link!
    That was pretty damn funny. :lol: Wrong costume, but hilarious. :p
    batsuit_12.jpg
    The latest..worked on the head a bit
    Been practicing my zbrush hard surface modeling by making Batman's grappler gun. It's amazing how different all the "replicas" are on the internet, hard to find the real thing. I think I got pretty close, not too concerned about being exact, but wanted at least the right shapes and forms and of course good geometry. This is my first real hard surface object in ZBrush. I've been messing with ZBrush for a number of years now but I never quite figured it out until the last couple weeks when I was finally able to buckle down and devote some good time to it. I'll probably end up polypainting this and decimation master it into max for the final, whatever that will be. Just realized I have phillips head screws on the gun, might have to replace them with flathead. The pistols I'm looking at seem to use them but I don't know much about guns... ;)
    gunGrab.jpg
    I don't think I ever knew that there was something stuck on those grappling hook handles... I just remember the shot of them in the case thinking they looked a little small.
    Great work. :thumb:
    Worked on the head in zbrush using some of the new techniques I've learned and did some polypainting on his mouth. I think he's a lot closer looking to the real thing now!

bathead.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Cracking work on this. Is coming on great. Z-Brush is one of those things I've been meaning to have a dabble with too. Must get round to it soon. This is looking great if it is your first serious go at working in the software.
    Ive had to use zbrush in the past for work stuff so its definitely not the first time, but I fee like this time Ive been able to spend enough time doing tutorials and figuring things out so that its finally coming together in my brain. Its like drawing though, I just have to pratice using the tools!
    Yeah, he's definitely looking more realistic with some colors added.
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    Very nice :thumb:
    I think he's coming along well now! I got the head about as close as it's going to get I think. I added some panel lines in his chest and pelvic area. Also modeled some attachments for the utility belt.

batsuit_15.jpg
    It's interesting when you view Batman in the Nolan movies, especially Dark Knight and DKR, how often they shield Batman's eyes or somehow light them so you can't even see his eyes, just tiny points which I think is really cool. I feel like they must have come in and graded the light on his eyes down to get that effect too. You can see a lot of it in the joker interrogation scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDbINMm-d60

I might do that same effect on mine, maybe forgoing an eye texture completely for just shiny black eye balls, we'll see. Will come down to what I want my final image to be.
    Finally got Batman into ZBrush to pose him. Learning how to use the Transpose Master plugin to make my life easier. I think I have the process down so I'll start posing him and probably bring him BACK into Max and reapply the shaders and textures. Although some of my UVMapping seems to have been blown away in the transfer..hmmm. Maybe I'll end up doing it all in ZBrush, I dunno! It's great to be able to incorporate ZBrush and really have a lot more options now, so I have to do more thinking on it. Here's a screenshot from ZBrush of a pose with the newest meshes. No texture or polypaint, and there is some penetrating of straps and panels, but not too bad really...

ZGrab03.jpg
    I think he almost looks better rendered in Zbrush than Max and you haven't even reapplied the textures or a smoother or anything.
    I agree...I'm checking out ZBrushes rendering capabilities...would be nice to not have to bring it back and forth and lose detail in the model.
    Yeah, that would be a real pill. Hopefully, Zbrush can do everything you need it to do.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    This is beautiful... I can almost hear his raspy voice asking if Harvey Dent can be trusted. :p