Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DClassic Space Lego - Galaxy Explorer WIP

• colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    3d lego models are actually rather commonly built its a neat project to do and so what if its a model of a model maybe hes doing a scene of a kids room and he wants some legos on a shelf or somthin?
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Anyone ever 3D printed their lego models? I wonder how successful that would be.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    I don't know what would be more expensive, the printing, or the copyright infringement lawsuit.
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    I know a lot of guys who model their lego designs in 3-D first just to see what will be required parts wise, and then they build it after ordering the requisite bricks.
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    stonky wrote: »
    Something I've been tinkering with recently (not done obviously, still lots to do):

excuse me please ... does someone talked about 3D printing or such? ... didn't found it

Stonky showed us a Slave 1 made from 3D Legos ... no more no less ... so close your heads ...

Enjoy the great modeling here!

Chris
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    No worries, thanks all for the positive feedback! More to come.
    no offence but... why model a model?

Good question - I think that colbmista put it perfectly:
    colbmista wrote: »
    cuz its fun

:)
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice Stonky mate, great work! :) looking forward to more!
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    here's why i personally love modeling legos.

because if my wife or kids were to walk into a room full of legos on the floor with me sitting crosslegged in the only 2 square feet of floor not covered in bricks building... well, you know...

but if they walk into the room and see me on the 'puter, well everythings normal! :lol:

btw, love the slave-1
    Thank you, more coming soon! I'd like to eventually build a cloud city landing platform for it as we'll.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    This is looking great.

You got to do the Death Star as well, that is a great model.
    Just goofing off:

linear.jpg
    103669.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks really good. The materials look about spot-on. :D
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Wow. Life-like! The only giveaway is the reversed LEGO on the wheel on the complete right...
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    Wow! That looks real! Gorgeous!
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • LeoCeballosLeoCeballos0 Posts: 0Member
    BorgMan wrote: »
    Wow. Life-like! The only giveaway is the reversed LEGO on the wheel on the complete right...

These are amazing! Man I loved the old Classic/Futuron era space Legos. This is a *long* thread so I haven't had time to look through it all, but have you seen this thing? NeoClassic Galaxy Explorer

Y'know, I made a little legodude a while back. I think you've inspired me to dig him up and update him a bit. My materials are nowhere near as good as yours, but now I really feel like making a Futuron dude.

AH! Found it as I was typing this. This is my old Lego SW alter-ego (alter-lego?).

leolego.jpg
    103670.jpg
    that image is so good i cant tell it isnt real!!!

These are amazing! Man I loved the old Classic/Futuron era space Legos. This is a *long* thread so I haven't had time to look through it all, but have you seen this thing? NeoClassic Galaxy Explorer

Y'know, I made a little legodude a while back. I think you've inspired me to dig him up and update him a bit. My materials are nowhere near as good as yours, but now I really feel like making a Futuron dude.

AH! Found it as I was typing this. This is my old Lego SW alter-ego (alter-lego?).

leolego.jpg

wow, thats some really cool stuff!
    that image is so good i cant tell it isnt real!!! except for the fact that the Lego-logo is perfectly level on the wheels, but thats the only red-flag! :D

leolego.jpg

wow, thats some really cool stuff!
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    stonky wrote: »
    Just goofing off:

linear.jpg

Holy ****!

I read it very often in here that something is looking photo-realistic and I always think: No it doesn't! It's just the standard phrase to say that you like it, as if photrealism would be the only criterion for being good.

But this time I have to say it by my selfe: this is Realy looking like a photo! I'm absolutely thrilled.

Oh and LeoCeballos how old is your SW alter-lego? Did you do this before or after LEGO started its Star Wars Line?
  • LeoCeballosLeoCeballos0 Posts: 0Member
    wibble wrote: »
    Holy ****!

Oh and LeoCeballos how old is your SW alter-lego? Did you do this before or after LEGO started its Star Wars Line?

Oh, long after (otherwise I'd be suing! ;) ) . The Lego Star Wars line started in 1997. Back then their SW guys had yellow heads like all the other Lego people. I bought a bunch of them back then and that's what I based mine on, but this isn't nearly that old either. I think that pic is about what, 4 years old? I started by making replicas of the normal Lego pilots and Luke, and then I changed the helmet color and gave him a custom face so he'd be Lego "me".

I think this is when I was switching from Lightwave to Modo and I picked an quick/fun project to learn the modeller/renderer on.

legopilots_final.jpg

Stonky's stuff blows mine out of the water, and its particularly the lighting/materials. It does look like you could reach out and pick them up! And I was on a Lego nostalgia trip earlier this year, too. I started collecting in the mid 80s so I have like three Classic Space figures; pretty beat up, though. So last time I was at my parents', I went through all my other legos and stole parts as best I could to get them to look good. What I do have is a TON of Futuron (stole backpacks, hands, and legs from them to remake the Classics) and I consider those to be the ones I really became a huge fan off.

EDIT: Hey Stony, what IS that renderer? One of the crazy high-end physics based ones? Or are you really just that damn good? (Again, I apologize if its been answered! Ginormous thread!).
    103671.jpg
    Love it!
    Thanks all!

@evil_genius_180: cheers, thank you!

@BorgMan: thank you! Hehe, yeah, good eye, the jig is up on some of the reversed logo on the studs - that's what I get for being lazy and mirroring parts. :) I'll have to check it in the future.

@Tallguy: thanks!

@LeoCeballos: thank you! I like your Lego Star Wars likeness, very nice, especially the air bubble in the lightsaber. :) I like the Lego Star Wars stuff as much as I like the Classic Space stuff, a lot of fun! Yeah, I've seen that re-imagined MOC Galaxy Explorer before, I like it, a great take on an old classic.
    I'm still using houdini's native physically based renderer, just made a few tweaks to materials, workflow, etc. There are still some things that bug me that I'd like to improve on, not to mention the fact that the blue sloped piece under the clear plastic cockpit windows is missing the logo, oops. :)

@wibble: thank you, you're too kind. :)

@biotech: glad you like it!

More to come!
  • Ha! I forgot all about that ship. This was one of my favorites.
    Ha! I forgot all about that ship. This was one of my favorites.

Thanks, yes, me too - loved the Galaxy Explorer!

Here's another view (forgive the crappy quantization, I saved it as a .jpg :) ):

linear2_comp.jpg

You can see that there are underside details that I haven't gotten around to adding/fixing yet, and I haven't redone some of the shaders (ie. transparent red) and other textured parts yet - eventually. But, you know, there are stars, so there's that. :)
    103673.jpg
    Its beautiful.

Have you seen the new trailer to the lego movie?
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks great too. :D
  • maranmaran178 Posts: 39Member
    Damn that's looking nice! :)

Now I need to find my lego model somewhere on my drive and finish it.
    @biotech: thank you! Yes, I've seen it - looks funny. I like the 80s space guy, but I never had any blue ones - I think that the blue ones showed up in the line afterwards, I think that I was mostly collecting early on in the line.

@evil_genius_180: thanks!

@maran: thank you! Yes, you should finish the lego V-Wing! Other than the canopy, what else would you like to do to it?

More to come. :)
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    great work! I had all this Space LEGO stuff when I was much younger :)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    This is looking great.
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Yep sweet work :)