Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Star Citizen - RSI's Next Great Starship competition!

ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
edited November 2013 in General Discussion #1
Surprised no one is talking about this yet...How would you like to win $30,000 and get your ship featured in the Star Citizen universe? Cloud Imperium Games (Chris Robert's game development company) are running a competition that suits this community down to a T.

[video=vimeo;76645112]

More info:
Creating ultra-detailed spaceships is the heart of Star CitizenA’s development.From concept to final texturing, a ship can take teams of expert designers months to create the level of graphical fidelity and detail that have become hallmarks of the Star Citizen universe. Now Chris Roberts and his team of visual designers are looking to the community for the next great team of ship designs.

16 Finalist teams exit one by one until there is one Grand Prize winner honored with the addition of their spaceship into Chris RobertsA’ new space epic, Star Citizen. Not to mention a $30,000 cash prize, a swag of other goodies and the first winning ships off the production press for each team membersA’ Hangar!
Whether or not you participate, subscribe to RSIA’s YouTube channel to watch the drama unfold and see who can build Star CitizenA’s Next Great Starship.

The weekly webcast show will kick off with sixteen finalist teams at 11am PST on January 31st 2014, which is when the specs will be released to each team for the main challenge; The Next Great Spaceship!
These sixteen teams of finalists will have to conceptualize, design, model, animate and rig their model while submitting their progress for weekly review by a panel of science fictionA’s leading concept artists, designers and celebrities, along with the man himself, Chris Roberts.

Each successful challenge, takes you one step closer to the grand prize. Failure means you go A‘homeA’. In the end, the last two teams will be flown to Los Angeles to compete live in front of the judges and the community on June 8 2014, for the grand prize: $30,000, their ship incorporated into the Star Citizen universe, cool swag, and the title of...
The Next Great Starship.

This sounds like a pretty awesome and totally unique promotion. Especially exciting is the idea of a team of up to three artists working on the project. They're clearly aiming very high quality entries here and I've got no doubt there are a number of members of this community that could challenge for the top job.

So get cracking guys!

Registration opens October 31st and ends on December 31st 2013.
Post edited by Comco on
Tagged:

• GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Very cool. :)

More specific information available here:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/contest/the-next-great-starship

Apparently the first step is to make a weapon and a video about it.
    DETAILS

To join the contest you will need A team of up to 3 citizens including yourself. You will be tested on Concept, Design, 3D realization and Game integration. For that you will need to master CryEngine 3 which you can download for free at CryTek.

Teams will be allowed to register from October 31st to December 31st 2013, and will need to attach a 3-4 minute video to their application before registrations close.

Your video must include about 1 minute of introduction of your team name, team mates names, cities you live in, roles in the team/creation of the weapon and your excitement for this competition. This should then be followed by 30-45 seconds of your modeled weapon of choice (See Specifications below).

Weapon of Choice

The UEE is looking for a few good weapon designers! The Sakura Sun Corporation is preparing to unveil their new line of wave particle cannons and we want you to decide what they look like!

Read the design specifications below and choose 1 weapon from the 3 in the Sakura Sun lineup to prototype. In addition, you should design a logo for the corporation to give us a feel for its place in the Star Citizen universe. Artists should design both the weapon and the ammunition effect. Submit a video showing your workflow (how you went from concept to final design) and be sure to include the finished design as part of your video.

Applicants will be judged for both creativity and the ability to adhere to the required specifications (ie, don’t build a missile instead of a cannon!)

Design Specification

Sakura Sun Corporation

Sakura Sun is an Earth-based corporation. Sakura is a recently incorporated organization with a drive to build weapons that are visually distinct from the more utilitarian fare created by companies like Klaus & Werner and Behring. Sakura has a high-level technology trading agreement with the Xi’an, and incorporates Xi’an technology into their weapons when possible. Sakura Sun weapons have a crafted, elegant quality that counters their destructive nature.

Multi-Particle Wave Cannon (MPWC)

The Multi-Particle Wave Cannon is a Gatling cannon which fires energy bolts from a miniaturized multi-particle accelerator ray. It fires a barrage of bosons at the target in the form of a wave of particles occupying the same quantum state. They collapse into particles on impact with energy shielding to cause significant damage, but are largely ineffective against solid armor. The MPWC is based on alien technology, and the Xi’an influence should be visible! Construction should reflect the high-science nature and multiple accelerator aspect of the weapon.

Size: Available in size 1-5

Hardpoints: Class 1 and 2

Inspiration: the A-10 Warthog’s GAU-8/A Avenger
    Weapon options

1. Breezefire EX: A small (size 1) MPWC; think the “budget” model.

2. Breezefire DX: A larger size 1 weapon with higher quality components.

3. Windfire EX: The larger model of MWPC (size 2.)

Team finalist selection process

The selection process begins after midnight PST December 31st, 2013 (once all the preliminary submissions are in) and ends with the announcement of the 16 team finalists noon PST on January 31st 2014. 15 teams will be selected by the judges and then from 8 pre-vetted teams the backers of the Star Citizen community will be able to vote on the 16th finalist team. (Please note: only backers of Star Citizen can vote although everyone can watch). This will be the ‘Wild Card’ vote and voting for this will begin at noon PST January 24th, 2014. The selection will be based on the video submission from each team including their fully designed ‘Weapon of Choice’. Before the announcement of the 16 finalist teams, extra filming maybe need to be done to polish your video submission. This will be up to one half day requirement in your own city. We will contact your team in which case via the email you provide with your video submission.

Elimination process and selection of the grand prize winner

Finalists will be required to submit WIP on a weekly basis for airing on the weekly show (airing each Friday 11am PST, barring the Grand Final on Sunday evening June 8 2014). Finalists will need to be comfortable on camera to work with the judges and mentors. Filming will be done at a convenient time for camera crew and competition finalists. There will be 19 episodes total with the live Grand Final held on Sunday June 8 2014 in Los Angeles California. The two finalist teams will be flown into Los Angeles for this event.

2014 Dates for the show to air at 11am PST will be;

January 31

Feb 7 14 21 28

Mar 7 14 21 28

Apr 4 11 18 25

May 2 9 16 23 30

Jun 8

Prizes

GRAND PRIZE:

$30,000 in cash for the team members. Your Great Starship is included in Star Citizen and each member of your team receives the first production models off the press! As well as; Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite, Maya Premium and one high-end AMD based system with Radeon R9 290X (for each team member).

SECOND PLACE:

$10,000 in cash for the team members. Alienware laptop, Autodesk Maya 2014, AMD Radeon R9 290X (for each team member).

THIRD PLACE:

$5,000 in cash for the team members. Autodesk Maya LT, AMD Radeon R9 290X (for each team member).

SPECIALTY PRIZE :

(to the most valuable player out of the remaining contestants among the final three teams voted on by the judging panel): One Cintiq Companion, the new Windows 8 “Make the World your Studio” tablet from Wacom.

FINALIST TEAMS 4 THROUGH 16

$250 in RSI Credits (non-transferable/non-refundable)
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Why was my first thought "Coolhand & Howard Day"?
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    I think the universe, real or Chris Roberts', would implode from the sheer coolness of such a collaboration. :D
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    I'm game to throw my hat in this...anyone interested in teaming up with me?
  • LeoCeballosLeoCeballos0 Posts: 0Member
    Sorceress, I *think* I sent you a PM. Possibly two. I mean, I'm pretty sure I pressed the button, but the blasted thing shows my "sent items" folder as being empty. Anyway, if you're still looking for a team and didn't get my message, let me know :)