Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Avengers 2012 - HELICARRIER

• DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Armondikov wrote: »
    The film has a man turning into a giant raging green missile-proof id monster and it's the physics of the helicarrier that are objectionable?
    When they're finally trying to keep as many details physically accurate or at least consistent within the same universe, and starting to succeed in it? Yes :D
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    So remind me, how does an Arc reactor work again? :D
    tobian wrote: »
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/what-is-the-theoryconcept_b_3456241.html :D
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Cause I'm jealously pickin on you and your damn talent!

I agree the fans have to be necessarily visible therefore creating a plot device, but instead of fans the designers could have used rotating coils of some super-tech type...

As Tobian mentions, the anti-grav units need not be visible. It seems most likely that the Helicarrier uses the massive turbines in conjunction with some form of anti-grav system located within the hull, with the turbines being used partially for thrust and lift. Though in the plot of the movie taking out the turbines did cause the thing to drop like a brick, so I guess we're talking interdependent systems or something.
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    As Tobian mentions, the anti-grav units need not be visible. It seems most likely that the Helicarrier uses the massive turbines in conjunction with some form of anti-grav system located within the hull, with the turbines being used partially for thrust or something. Though in the plot of the movie taking out the turbines did cause the thing to drop like a brick, so I guess we're talking interdependent systems or something.
    I actually just rewatched the movie last night and noticed some interesting stuff along these lines. When the turbine goes out, so too do the glowing orange forward-propulsion thrusters on that side sort of fade out. When Tony restarts the turbine, the thrusters go back to full strength. The implication there is that the turbines are at least partially connected to forward thrust. Perhaps some of the air is siphoned through an intake that is then treated to typical jet-engine air-intake processes and vented out the back for forward thrust?

This Wired article actually looks at some of the physics involved. TL;DR: it's implausible, but not entirely outside the realm of possible. Since this is a world that also boasts the Tesseract, Stark Repulsors (don't tell me Fury can't get ahold of some and reverse engineer them! ;) ), and other super-tech, I don't think it's all that unreasonable to posit that the means exist to make a Helicarrier reasonably fly.
    Yeah that article is cool, but it notes several times 'with a bit of comic book physics' :)

Well bottom line is we know Stark has been working as a consultant to shield, and that he had just recently been working on his prototype new Arc reactor to power a city block (as of the film). The last few films have created a number of precedents, such as Stark Repulsor technology, a MASSIVELY powerful Arc reactor (if you recall no one could figure out how to power war machine without the technology), the prototype Antigrav units (which may have lacked a sufficient power supply to work properly) From Howard Stark, and the fact that until quite recently they had used an oversized plane to do what the helecarrier does now. So really it all points to a synergy of recently acquired assets. Without all of those precedents, it's pretty impossible to make it, but with them, it's possible. It's also likely that one of the reasons they worked with the Tesseract is because the Arc reactor lacked the oomph to do a fully fledged pure antigravity system.

Anyway we probably shouldn't be spamming this thread with these musings :D
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    tobian wrote: »

Very efficiently, thank you.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    You're doing some really nice work on this thing so far, Binkerman. I don't know why I've never looked in on this thread before now. (I feel so lazy sometimes. :shiner:)
    Binkerman wrote: »

I do have some good news, that my Helicarrier will be released as a kit, (in two different sizes) ... the larger version will be over 3 feet in length (approx 38 - 40 Inches) ... with a tentative release date being the end of this year / early next year ....

Cheers !

Jas

DCB wrote: »
    Ooooh, I missed that bit. Official licensing I'm assuming? That's a pretty sweet deal. Do we get to hear how that came about?

How'd you like it? Now there's that modified C-17 Globemaster to add to your modelling list (not to mention Lola).

Indeed, did we ever get an answer regarding this? Inquiring minds want to know.

:p

:thumb:
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Update time ! .... Currently working on the Quinjet Interior .... pic below showing some progress ....

@ ChrisGFX:

Thanks Chris, ... just got a lot going on at the moment ... but will get back to it for sure, as I will be returning to Star Wars related stuff sometime next year ....

@ Armondikov:

Thanks mate, ...

@ DCB & TALON_UK:

Basically just contacted after seeing my work online, ... was also contacted recently by a member of 'Agents of Shield' production team, though can't say any details about that .... but was a nice surprise ! ;)

@ sorceress21:

The main point is to build an accurate model of what is seen in the movie, though what you mention has already been done for the upcoming sequel to Captain America >> The Winter Soldier, ... The Helicarrier & Quinjet have been modified, ... and will also be doing those variants once I'm done with the Avengers versions. So I'm going to be working solely on Helicarriers & Quinjets for a while .... Check out the official trailer to The Winter Soldier if you've not seen it ....

@ evil_genius_180:

Cheers mate !, ... Probably because I don't always post an update every few days, so the thread can be missed ... but I prefer to wait until there's something worth showing ...

Though I will update this render soon, ....

Jas

*EDIT - Pic updated - Post #138
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    wow just wow *jawdroping*
    Basically just contacted after seeing my work online, ... was also contacted recently by a member of 'Agents of Shield' production team, though can't say any details about that .... but was a nice surprise ! ;)

Wow, congratulations!! :) :)

And awesome modeling, as always! :thumb:
    :O

Hope you have plenty of memory and access to proxy technology :)

Looks awesome!
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    my heck, all that detail on such a small part of your design. extraordinary
    Wow, congratulations!! :) :)

And awesome modeling, as always! :thumb:

Seconded, great to see talent getting such high recognition.

Thanks Guys ! :thumb:

Small update on that Interior pic I posted couple of days ago, ... It might look the same, but quite a few subtle things have been done. The material elements (Seat Padding, Cargo Nets, Seat Belts etc), will be finished off with ZBrush, to make those parts look less rigid later.

The next update will show more of the Interior ....

@ tobian:

When it comes to hardware, .... I'll be using R.F.T for the final renders, to ensure that everything will be ok, ..... >>>>> Rabbit Foot Technology ....

Jas

*EDIT* - Pic Updated - Post # 146
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    I'll be using R.F.T for the final renders, to ensure that everything will be ok, ..... >>>>> Rabbit Foot Technology

can you explain? I was unsuccessful in my online search on the topic
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    ucTmSAZ.jpg
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    DCB wrote: »
    ucTmSAZ.jpg

???
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    A symbol of luck
  • MaxxRushMaxxRush180 Posts: 168Member
    Elowan wrote: »
    A symbol of luck

Although, as is often said, it wasn't so lucky for the rabbit.

For those that still might not get it, just google lucky rabbit's foot.
    The image is linked to the Wikipedia page....
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    Sorry, it seems like I have missed that link.
    In the first moment it seemd somehow misplaced to me, but now it makes perfect sense.
    Can you forgive me my ignorance?
    Also:
    Great work Jas, and Congratulations on the luck you had. With or without the use of that poor bunnys foot.
    Thanks wibble ! ;) .....

It's been a while ... but here's an update on the Quinjet ...

Jas

Click on Links to view Full Size - 1440 x 900

QUINJET INTERIOR WIP 001

q9n2.jpg Full Size Pic

QUINJET INTERIOR WIP 002

zv9l.jpg Full Size Pic

QUINJET INTERIOR WIP 003

tu5k.jpg Full Size Pic

QUINJET INTERIOR WIP 004

50ki.jpg Full Size Pic

QUINJET INTERIOR WIP 005

t2jx.jpg Full Size Pic

QUINJET INTERIOR WIP 006

p4nr.jpg Full Size Pic
    Was just feeling good about the modelling I did, BLEH! :) Looks outstanding, can't wait to see it with shaders and lighting!
    Looking all kinds of awesome. Great work.

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    will that same extraordinary detail level extend across the whole carrier? great work, looks like you might have a new carrier type to model thanks to the latest captain america film.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    If you look at the tread from page one spacefighter you would see the detail of the whole thing
    Looking good Binkerman. Given the earlier talk of official model kits, I assume you have transitioned from looking at Blu Ray screencaps to something more official? Either way, looks like there will be plenty more reference material in Winter Soldier. Seems like they have half a dozen or more helicarriers in that.