Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Shandor AKA Spook Central

stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
edited June 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Here is my attempt at the apartment building in Ghostbusters. Ever since I First saw the movie in 1986 I have always been fascinated with this building. I have made it a little taller. It was kind of stubby in my opinion. Here is what I started so far.
106016.JPG
Post edited by stfanboy on
Tagged:

• ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Will be watching this one.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice work so far. The shots for the film were done by using a matte painting artist to add creepy stuff to a real building, so they were probably limited by the actual building's height. Though, I think the artist did make it quite a bit taller.
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    A great subject matter, and a cool start, looking forward to this one :) (you should be able to use streetview to get a great look at the actual building - well the base anyway as evil said the top was a matter painting).
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    cant wait to see it covered in a layer of creme... :)
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Thank you. :)

Update:
    Sides finished on the main body and added the first terraces. I need to adjust the spires. Some are sticking out more then others.
    103070.jpg103071.jpg
    It looks great. Did you actually model the bricks or is that a bump map?
    It looks great. Did you actually model the bricks or is that a bump map?

Thank you. Yes those are bump maps. I hope they look alright. I will be adding the different shades when I get done with the modeling. The bricks start out as a dark purple at the bottom to a light tan at the top. Speaking about the bottom. I haven't started on the first floor yet. I want to give it multiple entrances. Original entrance and my entrance.
    Yeah, the bump maps look good. I was just hoping you didn't model all of that. That would have been enough to make you go crazy. ;)
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Have you not seen the stuff this guy is crazy enough to model? :p Great work on the building so far. :thumb:
    Yeah, the bump maps look good. I was just hoping you didn't model all of that. That would have been enough to make you go crazy. ;)

Hehehe, yeah I know better then that. I thought about it for a minute or so but I didn't want to spend extra money on booze. Plus I am bald so no hair to pull out.
    Juvat wrote: »
    Have you not seen the stuff this guy is crazy enough to model? :p Great work on the building so far. :thumb:

Thank you Juvat. Not crazy like that anymore. Other projects are on limbo until I figure out how to work on them correctly. Hell I don't even think I'm doing this one correctly, LOL
    Juvat wrote: »
    Have you not seen the stuff this guy is crazy enough to model? :p

Can't say that I have. Though, there's a good possibility I saw it and just don't remember. :lol:
    Can't say that I have. Though, there's a good possibility I saw it and just don't remember. :lol:

Your not missing much Evil. Just stuff that I was working on that is way over my head.:argh:
    Got a couple more stories finished. Also finished the front of the water tank housing. It's weird because it is now a office on the top penthouse in the real building. BTW that renovated penthouse went for $35 million. YIKES!!!:o I could never live in NYC. The view is to die for though. Next finish up the top stories then the entrance. Then COLOR! :)
    103270.jpg103271.jpg103272.jpg
    That's looking fantastic. :D

Yeah, you pay a lot for space in NY, especially if you want to be high above the city noise.
  • SakuraTakedaSakuraTakeda1 Posts: 0Member
    Wow! I love it! I'm a big Ghostbusters fan myself. After seeing this I want to go back and watch it now. thanks. :P
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    thats looking really good, i think im going to dig out my dvds today... :)
    Thank You. I have 3 copies of Ghostbusters. DVD, Blu-Ray and Laserdisc.:D Got most of the top floors done. Just have to add a couple of small obelisks and quickly model the 2 fins(?). Also add some more railings.
    103400.jpg103401.jpg
    That's looking great. :)

I used to have the film on VHS, but I traded up to the DVD. Does the Blu-Ray have a large enough picture improvement to make it worth buying?
    That's looking great. :)

I used to have the film on VHS, but I traded up to the DVD. Does the Blu-Ray have a large enough picture improvement to make it worth buying?

Thanks Evil. The blu-ray looks pretty good for how old this movie is. It's almost 30 years old. There are some details I haven't seen on the DVD and can see in the blu-ray. The only bad thing about it is the film grain. Like the library scene. A dark scene with a bunch of film grain is no bueno. The sound is also pretty good. Always shakes my place when I crank up the volume when they cross the streams.:thumb: All in all its worth buying. Heck I only payed $10 for my copy at Half Price Books.
    That's my worry about older films on Blu-Ray, that the picture won't really be any better due to the age.
    The older Star Trek movies look pretty good but sometimes it's hard to get rid of the age. Still a lot better then DVD.

Here is a quick update before I start digging into the base. Tall spires and obelisks finished.
    103410.jpg103411.jpg
    That's looking great. :D

The movie's digital quality will vary based on how good of shape the original was in before it was remastered and on who is doing the remastering. Whoever did the remastering for a lot of the Star Trek DVDs did a great job and they may have had a better film master to work from. So, it's not surprising their Blu-Rays look good too. Some movies aren't preserved well enough and whoever does the remastering does what they can with them.
    Well this is a little set back. I was going to use Google Street View since there are HD pictures taken everywhere. Would of been a great idea until this. LOL Scaffolding happened. :lol:
    103423.jpg
    Not quite what I was planning on but it will do for now. Maybe it would look better when I give it some color in the next update.
    103475.jpg103476.jpg
    It looks good to me. You did the best you could, since the building is being worked on. Though, I don't know why they didn't clear it with you first. :lol:
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    That's my worry about older films on Blu-Ray, that the picture won't really be any better due to the age.

You couldn't be more wrong. Older films, when properly mastered, benefit more from Blu Ray resolution and colour reproduction than most new movies do. The older Ghostbusters blu ray release was a bit hit and miss, but even at its worst it is many times clearer, sharper and deeper than any previous release. The newly remastered edition, struck from the original negative at 4k res, apparently looks nearly flawless. I haven't watched this disc though but it has got very good reviews for image quality.
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    That's looking great. :D

The movie's digital quality will vary based on how good of shape the original was in before it was remastered and on who is doing the remastering. Whoever did the remastering for a lot of the Star Trek DVDs did a great job and they may have had a better film master to work from. So, it's not surprising their Blu-Rays look good too.

ST:TMP blu ray looks very good, so does Trek II. But all the films have had digital noise reduction applied to some degree or another. Star Trek III is passable but it has heavy digital noise reduction which makes faces look waxy. In the case of Trek III at least the detail levels haven't been that badly affected by noise reduction. But the rest of the films look terrible. Star Trek IV and VI look like they've had a photoshop paint filter applied - most fine detail is totally wiped away, faces even lose mouths and eyes at times! V is marginally better but then again, who wants to watch it anyway? The classic Trek movie blu rays were done on the cheap.

Only the first two recieved new hi definition transfers, the rest used existing high-def masters that were prepared for the DVD releases. These were done with a view to downscaling to standard definition so not much attention was paid to removing small pieces of film damage as these wouldn't be readily visible on a standard def display. Similarly they had a lot of artificial sharpening and edge enhancement applied as this gives the picture the illusion of greater clarity when seen on a standard def display.

Ironically, the best looking Trek material on blu ray is the oldest. The original series' original film elements were obviously quite well preserved and clearly, a lot of effort was spent on erasing film damage, because they look fantastic. They also show the benefit of an entirely film-based production pipeline, unlike TNG which though shot on film, was entirely post-produced on video at standard def res, which meant many effects shots have had to be redone for the blu rays - with extremely variable results in terms of quality. I personally don't care for the CGI effects that were done on TOS HD however but at least on the blu ray releases you can choose which version to watch.
    It looks good to me. You did the best you could, since the building is being worked on. Though, I don't know why they didn't clear it with you first. :lol:

LOL well I still had pictures off the net but Google has some nice HD pictures. Really wanted to use those in Street View. My biggest problem was the large brick work. Some how they didn't come out right compared to the smaller bricks. Besides that's not the interesting part. The temple and the weird thingy (roof cap?) on top is.. I can't wait to start on that bad boy. ;)
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Late to the party as usual!
    Get the devil dogs up on the roof stat!
    Great work!
    mikala wrote: »
    Late to the party as usual!
    Get the devil dogs up on the roof stat!
    Great work!

It's about time you showed up! :lol: Yeah I know I really want to start on those terror dogs. I'm actually kind of scared of doing them. I never attempted to model something organic.