Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DOptimus Prime:He's still here.

SakuraTakedaSakuraTakeda1 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2014 in Work in Progress #1
I couldn't find my old thread so I started this one. I just wanted to show you I have not given up on Prime, he's still being worked on. I've had to overhaul a couple of things I wasn't happy with and there's still some things I want to overhaul but it will take some time. And it can wait until the physical modeling is complete.
103308.jpg
103309.jpg
103310.jpg
Post edited by SakuraTakeda on
Tagged:

• stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    HOLY CRAP!! That is one sexy big rig. Great job.:thumb: Can you do a Goliath or the FLAG Mobile Unit from Knight Rider?
  • SakuraTakedaSakuraTakeda1 Posts: 0Member
    Possibly. They might be easier actually because they are black and grey. ^_^

Here is a close-up on some of the detailing I'm putting in to the model. there's rivets on the hood, screws with the light bezels.
    103315.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    stfanboy wrote: »
    HOLY CRAP!! That is one sexy big rig. Great job.:thumb:

I've gotta agree with that. :thumb:

I especially like the materials, they really make it pop.
    Thank you. ^_^
    A little more detail..
    103342.jpg
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    looks great.

so shiny :)
    dont you love how the robot forms were always beat up and dusty, but they turn into vehicles and were magically smooth, waxed, and polished again??? heehee
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Rivets!
    Great touch adding them. Lends a lot to the "real" look of the model.
    I've seen a couple of builds if this model, but not as detailed. I want it to be the best it can be. I've searched the internet for custom parts used on the actual truck. The headlights are correct and have the hex screws, though I need to add the cable, the marker lights have the right bezels and screw heads modeled.The drive tires are even correct, right down to the tread pattern.
  • Lord OvermindLord Overmind0 Posts: 5Member
    After reading that, I immediately thought "OCDimus Prime!"

Very nice model by the way. Crapton of detail so far.
    After reading that, I immediately thought "OCDimus Prime!"

Very nice model by the way. Crapton of detail so far.

Thank you. And yes, I suppose it is overkill. But, I don't build computer models often and I want what I do build to be pretty detailed. Here's a close-up of the marker lights by the air filter can. I'm rendering the tool box at the back between the rear fenders and the sleeper right now. You can see the mesh screen from the air filter and the screws on the marker light bezels. And it looks like I need to fix the hood geometry a little as well for the rivets to line up properly.
    103370.jpg
    I fixed the hood geometry issue that was hiding some of my rivets and then I added more panels that I had missed before. I also added the handle and lock for the battery box. Working as a break-down coordinator for a trucking company has come in handy as far as detailing and terminology. :P
    I think next I will add the chains to the back board
    103386.jpg
    Looking great. Does he transform, or are you getting the truck all done before you work on that part? (sorry if you already answered that)
    We will see once the truck is done. If I do it's going to be a pretty mammoth task. After all, I haven't gone quick and easy with truck mode. :P
    103390.jpg103391.jpg
    Yeah, he's a beast. I think the one for the movies has over 1,000 animated parts used for the transform cycle. (I saw that on a featurette somewhere) Making a truck certainly isn't a small task, but you're doing a fantastic job on that. :D
  • Lord OvermindLord Overmind0 Posts: 5Member
    10,108 parts to be exact.
    10,108 parts to be exact.

Wow, even more than I remembered. I don't like animating one part. ;)
    See? that's a lot of parts. But, ILM kind of cheated too. they wrote software that allowed them to basically tell the computer to transform from point A to point B and the computer would move all of those parts.
    103397.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    This is cracking looking work. One thing I would suggest though is to maybe tone down the chrome elements in some way, perhaps add a little subtle noise or something, as with chrome that shiny it comes across looking more like a toy or highly detailed model of the truck rather than the real thing. I think with that one tweak you'd be onto a winner. Fantastic looking work either way.
    Thank you. :)

If you look at the steps by the battery box, you can see I've started to add some dirt texture. I'm going to dirty it down a little more actually and make it look bit weathered. I don't know if it seems that way to anyone else but does the paint come across as too shiny as well?
    As long as you have your joints and whatnot properly set up, you should be able to animate the transformation that way in most software.

That latest render of the truck is sweet.
    Thank you. Anyway, enough pretty stuff, back to getting into some dirty work. Some of you I'm sure have done car rebuilds. Well, here's is my frame restoration. :P
    103398.png103399.jpg
    Still plugging away on him ^_^
    105917.jpg105918.jpg
    Great work. I like the steering wheel, even if it is a bit unrealistic. The photo is really nice. I especially like the reflections on the puddle and wet pavement.
    the steering wheel is based on an actual wheel someone has for their semi truck. ^_^
    0808dp_11_z+custom_big_rig_truck_show+2007_peterbilt_steering_wheel.jpg
    Yes, but that steering wheel doesn't have the flames connecting with the outer part of the wheel right where a person would put their hands on it, like yours does. That's what I meant about yours being unrealistic. There's not really a good place for a person to grip the thing.

I know, yours is a robot and not a real truck, but the Autobots do try to blend in.
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Just don't have long hair and have to make a crazy bunch of revolutions on that wheel!
    The vehicle just keeps getting sexier as the build goes on!