Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Cutting

Robert HarrisonRobert Harrison1 Posts: 16Member
Afternoon, i am trying to cut into a model using 3D studio Max 9. I want to cut into the top and bottom of the model and i am finding that even though i have the 'cutting shape' above and below it is only cutting on the top faces. I have tried spinning the model and replacing the cutting shapes but i still can change it...

Anyone know what i did or pressed to manage this rather annoying stage?

Matthew
Post edited by Robert Harrison on
Tagged:

• RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    If I understand what you're trying to do correctly, then you have two options I'm aware of:

You could use booleans, as shown it this tutorial, though you run the risk of ruining your mesh. Maybe if you isolate only the faces that need to be worked on you can avoid that. That's what I do at least.

The other option is to use the cut tool. The downside here is that you would have to do it one side at the time.
    I use the "Snaps Toggle" tool (the icon on the top bar with the number 3 and a magnet) enabled with vertices, which makes the cursor snap to any vertex (on any mesh) it comes close to. Then use the cut tool on the model from, say, the top view, and you should be able to follow the lines of the shape you need to cut vertex by vertex.

Let me know if that helps! I could add some images if necessary, I know my English skills aren't the best. :p
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio