Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

STO and Cryptic Studios looking for Ship design artist

jgreer721jgreer7210 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2013 in General Discussion #1
Here is a link to the Job posting.
http://crypticstudios.com/node/104

Design Star Trek ships for a living. Not a bad job if you ask me.
Post edited by jgreer721 on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Too bad they use Max and not Lightwave, otherwise I may have applied.
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    I'd love to see more Denebulan, & other Federation-member vessels, stations, transports, freighters, drydocks, buildings, etc. But that's just me.
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Too bad they use Max and not Lightwave, otherwise I may have applied.

Yeah totally
  • backsteptbackstept2017 Posts: 918Member
    Is it just me, or do their ship textures look like something from 1996?
    sorry . . . off topic micro-rant, but yeah . . .
    If you think their ship textures are bad, you should see some of the planet textures. I was playing one of the Romulan missions the other night and the planet I was going to had dreadful textures, not high rez at all. It reminded me of how bad some of the planets were when they first started doing CGI planets on TNG.

Though, in their defense, a lot of these online games don't have really great textures because they're trying to keep the number of ultra high detail objects down, especially when you have multiple users in an area. You could easily have 200 or more people online in the same instance, and their characters or ships have to be loaded on the machines of everyone who is online there, not to mention other things in the area. So, they can't have them too high detail or they'd melt some peoples' GPUs. ;)
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    That's really no excuse.
    If the game is properly optimized, then the hardware shouldn't struggle with the game.
    My problem with their textures is that they are not representative of ships how we saw them in the show.
    They either look too cartoony or too customized to the point where they simply look ridiculous.
    Actually, the ship textures are one of the things I dislike most about the game (besides the bugs. :p) Most of the ships are well modeled, but the textures are just wrong. They don't look like they did in the shows and movies. The low rez planets I actually don't get. Though, STO isn't the only game to do that. All of the planet texures in Star Wars: The Old Republic are really low rez. Only some of them in STO are.
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    Anyway... I wanted to ask about that job designing ships for ST:Online.
    Does it apply globally or is it only for Americans and specific nations?
    I doubt they would be bothering with non-USA residents.
    Their headquarters is in LA after all, and the amount of peddling we're talking about with the embassy, etc...
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9708 Posts: 5,302Member
    I would be very interested since I fit everything, but that 4 year uni/exp thing. And I have years of exp doing graphic arts development and all that stuff, but likely not in the fields they are demanding it for. IE game modeling etc.

eh guess it couldn't hurt to slap a folio together online and see.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    I thought of you as soon as I saw the specs.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I would be very interested since I fit everything, but that 4 year uni/exp thing. And I have years of exp doing graphic arts development and all that stuff, but likely not in the fields they are demanding it for. IE game modeling etc.

All they need to do is look at your body of work. You've got all of the skills they need and then some. :)
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    exactly, go for it