Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUNCF BBY-01 Yamato

nivaonivao0 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2013 in Work in Progress #1
One of my most favorite spaceships of all time, the Space Battleship Yamato or "Argo" in the English dub Star Blazers. I've been working on it for some time and I wanted to wait to post it until I was close enough to finishing it, but with the new Star Blazers 2199 approaching, I decided to do it now (especially since I'd be the first to show a Yamato model, with the exception of maybe two posts long ago).

While the model is based on the version in 2199, I also add in my own designs (which are partially borrowed from both the Resurrection animated and the live-action movie) to increase the amount of detail.

I will gradually add more details to it rather than working on it as much I can. I don't keep working on it every chance I get, instead I work on it a little. This to prevent me from losing interest in modeling it, especially if I encounter a lot of problems.

On a sidenote, this is probably the fifth model, especially concerning the hull, I made simply because of the various problems I encountered, but now it looks right.
102895.jpg
102896.jpg
102897.jpg
102898.jpg
102899.jpg
Post edited by nivao on

• RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I don't think I've seen a Yamato around here before, it's looking very good so far. :thumb:
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    good modelling work but this ship is not something i would want to fight a space battle from. lacks any armament on the underside so an attacker would just shoot at it from below, treating space like an ocean always leads to problems. the thing beneath is interesting, is it a shuttle docked to the battleship or part of the ship itself.
  • nivaonivao0 Posts: 0Member
    While, in the remake, the bottom of the ship has missile silos. And the piece at the bottom is referred to as the "third bridge". The ship has three bridges, the main bridge which is where the ship is controlled from most of the time; the battle bridge where the ship is operated during tactical combat operations and the third bridge which is used when the ship is in "submarine mode" (very ridiculous but very fun, when the ship has landed on an ocean, it can turn upside down to protect the critical areas of the ship and then use the missile silos and the third bridge).

Yes, overall the series is very ridiculous, but that doesn't make it any less one of the biggest, most famous anime ever (for one, it invented the term "anime" even though it wasn't really the first of its kind and second, it was the first English dubbed anime which is what gave us Gundam and Pokemon in the West; you can look it all up).

Also, it is because the franchise treats space as an ocean that the bottom of the ship will never be truly exposed. Almost every battleship lacks guns on the keel. But know that the "mechas", as it is known in Japan, are designed by Leiji Matsumoto who always treats space as an ocean, which doesn't take any fun out of it, after all, it is science fiction where imagination can run free from the clutter we call science and realism (ooh, nice quote).
  • KilminsterKilminster0 Posts: 0Member
    It is the backup bridge.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Battleship_Yamato_%28spaceship%29

Of course the design is a bit silly from a technical standpoint but it originates from an anime series and so most of all it had to look cool. And that it definitely does.

Many ship designs in Science Fiction are based on "looking good". And as long as it doesn't get too rediculous and stays logical within its own system that is fine with me.

Besides, in this universe thelarge ships are'n exactly maneuverig like fighters. So you can role the ship to point the big guns towards the big enemies and leve the small and quick ones to the point defenses. The Yamato is special in this universe because it was built out of the wreck opf the original Yamato from WWII but most Earth Defense Force ships are built according to the big guns on top scheme.

For Example the Andromeda:
    http://www.foundation3d.com/plugins/p13_download_manager/images/85.jpg
    Kilminster wrote: »
    It is the backup bridge.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Battleship_Yamato_%28spaceship%29

Of course the design is a bit silly from a technical standpoint but it originates from an anime series and so most of all it had to look cool. And that it definitely does.

Many ship designs in Science Fiction are based on "looking good". And as long as it doesn't get too rediculous and stays logical within its own system that is fine with me.

Besides, in this universe thelarge ships are'n exactly maneuverig like fighters. So you can role the ship to point the big guns towards the big enemies and leve the small and quick ones to the point defenses. The Yamato is special in this universe because it was built out of the wreck opf the original Yamato from WWII but most Earth Defense Force ships are built according to the big guns on top scheme.

For Example the Andromeda:
    http://www.foundation3d.com/plugins/p13_download_manager/images/85.jpg

That was in the original 1974 series, but since the wreckage of the real Yamato was discovered in a more mangled state, the spaceship could not be build, nor be launched from it. Instead, the new ship is build inside and underneath a camouflage made to resemble the battleship. Originally, the spaceship inherited the length of the Yamate (approx. 285 meters) but the massive interiors made it look like 500. The remake makes it 333 meters so the interiors can be at a realistic size but still big enough for all the systems. And the backup bridge now also functions as a submarine bridge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Battleship_Yamato_2199#Production

BTW, the Andromeda would be my most favorite ship after the Yamato.
    Well I remembered most of it from watching the original cartoon series. The motion picture is quite hard to find in Germany since the cartoon never was on German television and hardly anyone knows the Yamato as a space ship here. I watched the show on the armed forces TV in Bavaria in the 80s. So I'm not quite up to date on all the evolutions the ship made over the years. But is is definitely one of the more fascinating ship designs in science fiction.
  • saulteniansaultenian331 Posts: 0Member
    'Tis a lovely thing you have created there...

If you are a fan of "StarBlazers", you should check out this YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_8Tf9vRXkU

"Space Battleship Yamato 2010 (FULL MOVIE WITH SUBTITLES) "

Really awesome Japanese Movie with subtitles, they got the cast right as well, the Captain and Wildstar are particularly good....

Enjoy.
    The live-action movie was the first thing I saw. I liked it up until the end when almost all main characters die (but it's Japanese). But to be honest, after I started watching the original series, I saw major flaws in the live-action movie. I even started to dislike the ship as opposed to the primitive drawn version in the '74 anime.

In my opinion, the movie makes the same mistakes as "The Last Airbender", trying to put in a 26-episode season in a two hour film and changing character backgrounds and plot a little too much. They even added scenes from the second anime film "Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato" which is what made that film a flop (such as killing almost all main characters).
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208171 Posts: 0Member
    Great model!

And the new remake of SBY, 2199 I think is really really great. I think it excelled pass the original, in that its not as campy, and you get a feeling of both sides of the board so to speak, seeing loyalty, bonding, treachery, ruthlessness, etc.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    They REALLY went all in by getting Aerosmith to do the song in the flick.
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Great project! The Yamato star ship has always been one of those ships I love despite the show failing to understand the true nature of spaceflight or 3 dimensional space. IE which was is up?
    Yet still you've gotta love this ship and the wave motion gun.
    With the clean looking lower hull the Yamato is the least logical of the designs. Placing all big guns on one side and plastering the rest with point defenses might still be sensible when the ships operate within a formation.
    Big ships don't swirl around like fighters (ignoring for now that the movements of spaceships in movies are not according to the laws of phisics anyway in 99% of the examples. You usually do not fly in the direction your bow is pointing when you change direction undless you have a drive system that does not rely on creating thrust but simply moves you in a certain direction (usually by "handmovium" :lol:)) and big ships do not attack out of the blue so there should be time to roll the big guns in the right direction and with 3 ships forming a triangle you don't really have a weak underbelly.
    So the other ships of the EDF are more logical than the Yamato but she is still the coolest looking ship.

And while it is stoopid according to tactics, damage control and everything else, ships with a shiplike superstructure (Star destroyers, the EDF ships and quite a few of the self invented universes here in the forums) are simply beautiful designs.

And since this is mostly about fantasy design matters a bit more than if one was to design an actual fighting ship for space.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Just finished watching Space Battleship Yamato, thanks for the youtube link. :) They really changed the storyline for that movie, I like the original 1974 cartoon better. Is the English dub of the 2199 remake available?

Regarding your 3D model, it looks great! Looking forward to your texturing of the model. Are you going to do an Andromeda as well?
    Mikey-B wrote: »
    Just finished watching Space Battleship Yamato, thanks for the youtube link. :) They really changed the storyline for that movie, I like the original 1974 cartoon better. Is the English dub of the 2199 remake available?

Regarding your 3D model, it looks great! Looking forward to your texturing of the model. Are you going to do an Andromeda as well?

Dont know about a Dub yet, as they are still being released in Japan theaters.

But a HD subbed version is available here: http://www.pinoyanime.tv/space-battleship-yamato-2199-ova/

I just love the new refreshing feel of it and everything. Its sort of like nuBSG where it fits with the times.

Dont know about a Dub yet, as they are still being released in Japan theaters.

But a HD subbed version is available here: http://www.pinoyanime.tv/space-battleship-yamato-2199-ova/

I just love the new refreshing feel of it and everything. Its sort of like nuBSG where it fits with the times.

Well, texturing (or specifically unwrapping) isn't my strongest suit just yet. That's why I'm doing it slowly to get a feel of the workflow and see where I end up. But the Andromeda is definitely next in line (maybe doing Gatlantis first but that depends on how well I can sculpt the lower part).

BTW, Star Blazers 2199 was screened at Comic Con so there isn't any news just yet. I follow "Comso DNA" which is an unofficial website created after the official Star Blazers website was shut down and focuses on Yamato and Star Blazers so they would know first about any SB 2199 episodes.
    So, after some time, I've added a few more details and a basic material. I've added the Pulse Cannons on the sides of the superstructure.

The last image shows the ship in submarine mode (upside down in the water). I assume this is to protect the top side of the ship which is now under water so that there is little hull surface visible for orbital weapons (such as the Gamillan Reflex Gun on Pluto) to target.
    103290.jpg103291.jpg103292.jpg103293.jpg103294.jpg103295.jpg
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Awesome! I love the Yamato!
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    those images of the gun turrets clearly show how this is based on the real yamato. you ought to start greebling up the plain surfaces and detailing the sides and underside of her hull. considering space is 3 dimensional with no directional preferences it makes sense to arm her below as well. maybe have some points from which heat radiators can extend.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work! :)