Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Alcubierre Warp Theory

sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
edited August 2013 in General Discussion #1
Further discussion on the topic posed on captain_mills ringship thread:
psCargile wrote: »
Another interesting fact about the Alcubierre warp bubble is that particles and photons impacting the bubble will become trapped on the edge, and when the ship decelerates out of warp, this energy is released and will destroy the planet you are approaching.

Warp Drive May Come With A Killer Downside

The Alcubierre Warp Drive: On the Matter of Matter
which concludes:

Those were interesting reads...but I find such studies to be counter-productive at this stage. Even with the latest revision to Alcubierre warp theory posted by NASA earlier this year making it an attainable technology we have a long way to go. Surely, at least in my mind, if we are actually able to develop the technological know-how and infrastructure required to make this happen we will figure out solutions to the problems noted in the above articles. We are also talking about a pin-point energy wave generated by the field and there is no indication that a warp field wake would result creating a wide area particle wave. As suggested by another poster it seems simple enough to deal with this potentiality with navigation.
Post edited by sorceress21 on

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    as far as i know the largest problem with an alcubierre drive is that you must have pre-built the route as once inside the FTL bubble the ship is absolutely cut off from outside so cannot leave FTL flight. this means alcubierre drives could be used as an FTL rail network but STL ships would need to lay the "track". as far as i know there are other proposals for FTL travel but as yet we have no idea of if any are truly possible.