Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNostromo

• TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good, really loving your work on the Nostromo, the detail and accuracy appear spot on, a fave ship of mine this.
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Thank you very much Talon.
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    edited June 2022 #34
    Some more images as I slowly add more detail...

cghyuef7sj6d.jpg
    0x4z82rwhoso.jpg
    ahx4igcqe3ub.jpg
    Post edited by Starrigger on
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Cool cool cool cool.
  • -=sAs=--=sAs=-336 Posts: 0Member
    Cant wait to see more details,last image like very
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    awesome
    edited June 2022 #38
    Almost finished with the detail above the bridge...

hmnlrrne3vnj.jpg
    edited June 2022 #39
    Thanks for all the great comments. Added to the skin detail:

ahe47laxqwv0.jpg

Steve
    This is ALL sorts of awesome, my friend.
    edited June 2022 #41
    Reworked the antenna and the Landing gear paint job...

dkkeorui58is.jpg
    19kp38xvdy49.jpg
    ufrm3ns3wwn3.jpg

And with a whole lot of post work...

lhykitbnme4x.jpg

Steve
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Looks terrific! You really did it justice. Will you be doing the funky yellow version of it?
    Still got a lot of work to do, but I thought I might Try the Yellow.
    Starrigger wrote: »

nost13.jpg

nost14.jpg

nost15.jpg

nost16.jpg

those are some awesome images of what looks like an amazing model,
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    POV on the landing gear is, again, exceptional :) I still have not been able to figure out Blender which sucks. I would love to import my models into it so I can rig and animate. That is why I love looking at your work. I know you did it and am completely envious! :flippy::thumb:
    edited June 2022 #46
    Um, Thanks CB... :p Actually these are direct exports from Sketchup to Octane, I only used Blender because I wanted to animate the landing gear.. It's a pretty tedious process.

1. draw all moving parts individually in sketchup.
    2. export each part separately as .obj files (there is a great obj exporter available if you use the free sketchup version) OBJ Exporter
    3. import each part into Blender
    4. rig parts.
    5. set key frames
    6. test, repeat 5,6
    7. render (after applying skins...)

In a world dominated by Star Trek, I feel I need to keep my end of the universe up.. :lol: So here is some more progress on the Nostromo:

agg26m7zzt2j.jpg

Steve
    nostromo is wicked but in my experience that sketchup to obj exporter does not always work, it takes too long and crashes too easily on slowish computers. the method in my tutorial may help you if obj exporter(easier but less reliable) fails. always like the nostromo glad to see it done so well here, i'm guessing you're the same starrigger who posted the nostromo on the 3d warehouse?
    nostromo is wicked but in my experience that sketchup to obj exporter does not always work, it takes too long and crashes too easily on slowish computers. the method in my tutorial may help you if obj exporter(easier but less reliable) fails. always like the nostromo glad to see it done so well here, i'm guessing you're the same starrigger who posted the nostromo on the 3d warehouse?

Thanks, Yes I've found it to be somewhat flaky as well, If you keep the files small though its seems to work ok.

I was exporting files using the exporter for Kerk and then converting the resulting xml files into obj files using a converter I found, but again if the files get too big it starts flaking...

Tig actually did a sketchup to Octane exporter that works very well.
  • -=sAs=--=sAs=-336 Posts: 0Member
    I really like this!
    Great model job from a epic spaceship :thumb:
    edited June 2022 #50
    Yesterday, A massive, as of yet unidentified craft was seen over Midwest United States. More news when it becomes available...

kjutfoh6jwvc.jpg

Steve
    nice but there are some problems with the lighting matching the background. excellent model.
    Welcome back, man!

Cool pic... you taking those background pictures yourself?
    also can i ask, starrigger were you the guy who modelled that more streamlined alternative nostromo on here or was it someone else? i already commented on it when it was first posted but is that streamlined nostromo ever going to be available for download?
    Welcome back, man!

Cool pic... you taking those background pictures yourself?

Thank You! Been working on a children's book. Just took a break and ran this off.

Nope not my pictures, just Google for free HDRI images and plug them in to your fav render if it accepts them.
    edited June 2022 #55
    also can i ask, starrigger were you the guy who modelled that more streamlined alternative nostromo on here or was it someone else? i already commented on it when it was first posted but is that streamlined nostromo ever going to be available for download?

Yes I am, and since I may never get back to it to finish it, by all means enjoy it:

Here is the Warehouse link:

Removed -

Steve
    Thank You! Been working on a children's book. Just took a break and ran this off.

Cool cool. Been writing a spec myself. But I read an Alastair Reynolds story that inspired me, so you may be seeing a Swallowship and the Bitterstar in my thread in a day or two.
    nice but there are some problems with the lighting matching the background. excellent model.

Actually I am using an HDRI image so the lighting is set by that, but issues with Kerkythea added some hot spots...
    ... But I read an Alastair Reynolds story that inspired me, so you may be seeing a Swallowship and the Bitterstar in my thread in a day or two.

Great!, I always enjoy your stuff.
    Great!, I always enjoy your stuff.

Right back at ya, man.
    Yes I am, and since I may never get back to it to finish it, by all means enjoy it:

Here is the Warehouse link:

Promostromo

Steve
    thanks, downloading now. it looks a bit different in the 3d warehouse renders, is that because all your image were rendered in an external program(kerkythea?).
    thanks, downloading now. it looks a bit different in the 3d warehouse renders, is that because all your image were rendered in an external program(kerkythea?).

That's correct, I usually just use reference materials in Sketchup, and then tweak or change them completely when I move them to the renderer.