Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DANH Star Destroyer (Devastator)

• anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    lol, i have only one thing to say!

A star destroyer race to the death for both of you. GOGOGO!!!! :D

seriously though, thats a great start, gonna keep an eye out for that thread too :)
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    anystar wrote: »
    could you imagine modeling all the greebles on the Avenger though??? sometimes i like to poke through this thread and pretend i could ever do them all:
    http://www.therpf.com/f10/building-8-star-destroyer-superstructures-done-68377/
    Now you've made me spend several hours of my day looking at that thread in its entirety. Thank you (I really enjoyed it :D)

And Jedilaw was working on that too! Here's the link to his thread: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?79185-Star-Destroyer-Avenger-(Greeble-for-Greeble)-YES-IT-S-BACK

I'd love to see some winners in this race :thumb:
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Thanks all! Yeah, LOTS to do, I'll keep chipping away. The ANH Star Destroyer is NOTHING compared to it's TESB counterpart, and to those undertaking that beast, I say good luck! :) That thing is a monster to be sure, I'll stick to it's little brother - way less detailed and a lot of the parts make multiple appearances which should speed things up a bit. And when I say speed things up, it'll allow me to just catch up to a snail's pace - I'd put my money on ChrisGFX and Jedilaw to beat me to the finish line. :)
    NiceA… It's gonna be VERY cool to see this finished. This one will have all those turrets that we see in the Incredible Cross-Sections book, right?
    Thank you! If it's on the studio model, I'll include it, hopefully part for part, and I'm going to try to stay true to the shooting model. Here's the state of the three similar turrets at the moment (framed with the bridge in the BG for context):

turrets_closeup.jpg

That said, I think that I'm going to deviate and mirror some of the superstructure so that my model doesn't have the huge gaping hole on the starboard side for the mounting support. :)
    Wiz wrote: »
    You are a very brave man Stonky or crazy as a bag of frozen jelly, either way great work :)
    Maybe both - thank you!
    could you imagine modeling all the greebles on the Avenger though??? sometimes i like to poke through this thread and pretend i could ever do them all:
    http://www.therpf.com/f10/building-8-star-destroyer-superstructures-done-68377/
    One of my all time favorite RPF threads! Julian is a CRAZY talented scratchbuilder. Modelling the Avenger in 3D makes me sweat just thinking about it. :)
    ChrisGFX wrote: »
    I don't want to hiJack this thred but I'm working on exact this Avenger. Made from 3D replicas of the existing Kitparts. Not much there so I havn't start a thread here. Will come when I have more to show.

Attachment not found.

back to the Devastator ... ;) Your doing a great job there, Terry :)

Chris
    Thanks Chris, great stuff as usual, I can't wait to see more! The Avenger, wow - Godspeed. :lol:
    lol, i have only one thing to say!

A star destroyer race to the death for both of you. GOGOGO!!!! :D

seriously though, thats a great start, gonna keep an eye out for that thread too :)
    If it's a race, it's a marathon. I can see someone up ahead, way up front in the distance, I can just make out the name on the back of his jersey - F-R-A-C-T-A-L... :lol: :notworthy:
    Now you've made me spend several hours of my day looking at that thread in its entirety. Thank you (I really enjoyed it :D)

And Jedilaw was working on that too! Here's the link to his thread: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?79185-Star-Destroyer-Avenger-(Greeble-for-Greeble)-YES-IT-S-BACK

I'd love to see some winners in this race :thumb:
    Me too!
    102193.jpg
    A little more progress:

rear_detail2.jpg
    102343.jpg
    Double post.
    Very cool… :):)
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    great progress!
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    I can only imagine the amount of hours you spent getting reference together for this beast, and all worth it, doing a great job! :)
    Thank you!

A little more work:

rear_detail3.jpg

Hours, days, weeks, months, ... :) Knowing how slow this is going, I can't even imaging the 8 footer - it just boogles my mind. :o :lol:
    102371.jpg
    great work! can't wait to see more :)
    Coming along nicely!
    Thanks all, much appreciated! :)

More details (Iowa bridge and neck parts, etc.):
    bridge_WIP_4.jpg

Wider view, for context:
    bridge_WIP_5.jpg

More to come.
    102446.jpg102447.jpg
    looks great! can't wait for more :)
    It's gonna be awesome when it's done :thumb:
  • greeblegreeble174 Posts: 0Member
    very nice work.
    looking great!
    lol: this and all the other greebelicious SW stuff going on right now has inspired me to finally do some Interceptor wings for my tie fighter :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    She's looking great so far. :D
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    This is going to look very nice when it's all done.
    for quite a while i've been trying to get a set of 2d blueprints done of all the models from the first film together at the same scale, and i never really looked closely at the isd's before. i'm finding it maddeningly deceptive to get a bearing on just what size/shape it really is??? the main hull i have at just about 53" long, and cresting at the engines at about 9.5" tall.

is that anywhere close to what you have?
  • BigTBigT77 Posts: 95Member
    Wow, my deepest respect for you and everyone who's working on that type of ship class! :thumb:
    It must be a hell of workload... but surely big fun and satisfaction at the end.
    Thank you, it's been a lot of fun. :)
    for quite a while i've been trying to get a set of 2d blueprints done of all the models from the first film together at the same scale, and i never really looked closely at the isd's before. i'm finding it maddeningly deceptive to get a bearing on just what size/shape it really is??? the main hull i have at just about 53" long, and cresting at the engines at about 9.5" tall.

is that anywhere close to what you have?

That's what I'm in the process of nailing down now using some of the the photographs that I was able to take of the studio model a couple of weeks ago. I know that there was a lot of talk of putting the length at over 50" on the RPF, but right now mine is at an even 48", with the hull height at the engines at just over 7". Once I'm happy with the photogrammetry results I'll put it all out there for everyone to see in the interests of transparency and further input - I want to get it right, just like everyone else and I know that there is a lot of expertise out there. That said, I've built my CG model so that the overall size and shape of the hull is an easy fix without two much throw away work - I knew that the hull was going to be adjusted and re-adjusted a hundred times before I was happy with it. :)
    i saw one of your posts over there in Juliens thread, its what got me curious to ask :)
    i saw one of your posts over there in Juliens thread, its what got me curious to ask :)

Gotcha. ;)
    Work inches forward, literally. :)

turrets_WIP.jpg
    104205.jpg
    JES
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Yeeeeeeesssss. :D

Lovely, just lovely. Glad this is still proceeding!
    very cool stuff!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Great work on those bits. It always amazes me how much detail is in even the smallest bit on these Star Wars ships. :) (and you're not even doing the really detailed one ;))
    Thanks all! More to come (obviously :) ).

@evil_genius_180: it's true, some of the details on this model are fractions of a millimeter, amazing stuff. Each of the 3 main turrets in the render are only an inch or so wide. And i still have a bunch of stuff to add to them. :) I couldn't even begin to think about doing the larger, more detailed one! Props to fractalsponge for his take on it.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    ^ Now that's what I'm talking about. Nice work, buddy.:)
  • Greeble_GremlinGreeble_Gremlin331 Posts: 0Member
    wow .
    I've been away too long.
    Very nice build Stonky!
    I was just over at a friend of mine''s hous -who's building this for real (in the "analog" world) a very exact Studio Scale replica (sans holes/pipe on starboard side for mounting)

Virtual or Real it's quite an undertaking!
    ...never mind that you haven't even gotten to the Panel-Lines yet!
    Forgive me for being daft but I assume you have amassed all the donor kits from which to base your nurnies/greebles?
    You'll have quite a library built up by the time you're done ...good for future studio scale projects

I'm keeping an eye on this thread!