Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

thinking of using turbosquid(or equivalents)to sell some models

spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
i was thinking of using turbosquid or an equivalent site to try and sell some 3d models. i was unsure as to what information you need and whether you need a credit card or paypal account to sell models with it, also if anyone knows of better alternatives for selling 3d models please suggest them.
p.s. is it an absolute b****r to set up.
thanks.
Post edited by spacefighter on

• daliadalia0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi spacefighter! I work in CGTrader, we run a 3D model marketplace for artists and designers - and after seeing your question I wanted to invite you to try it out :) Differently from Turbosquid and others, we are a designer friendly marketplace, which provides over 90% royalties to our authors, does not impose predatory exclusivity terms, and allows designers interact directly, so you know who is your buyer. You need to have a Paypal or Skrill / Moneybookers account to start selling. Also, we currently run a 3D printing competition, so if you want to try your hand at 3D printable models, you can win some nice prizes :) Have a look: www.cgtrader.com - and let me know what you think and if you have any questions!
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    dalia wrote: »
    Hi spacefighter! I work in CGTrader, we run a 3D model marketplace for artists and designers - and after seeing your question I wanted to invite you to try it out :) Differently from Turbosquid and others, we are a designer friendly marketplace, which provides over 90% royalties to our authors, does not impose predatory exclusivity terms, and allows designers interact directly, so you know who is your buyer. You need to have a Paypal or Skrill / Moneybookers account to start selling. Also, we currently run a 3D printing competition, so if you want to try your hand at 3D printable models, you can win some nice prizes :) Have a look: www.cgtrader.com - and let me know what you think and if you have any questions!
    so to ask some more details what information must i provide to set one up, what must i already have, what do i need to do? and what sorts/formats/quality of model are acceptable?
  • daliadalia0 Posts: 0Member
    so to ask some more details what information must i provide to set one up, what must i already have, what do i need to do? and what sorts/formats/quality of model are acceptable?

Sure :) The process is very simple. You register on CGTrader and add your Paypal or Skrill / Moneybookers account - and that's all what's needed to become ready to sell.

You will then need to upload the models. In order to sell your models, you need model files (in as many formats as you wish), preview images (ideally both rendered and wireframes, the more the better!), price, title and description. It is up to you as to how much effort you'd like to put into providing these, but the more detailed the descriptions / previews, the better. After you sell a model, you will get the funds directly to your account immediately, and will then have to pay a small fee (usually <10%) to put the model back on sale: http://www.cgtrader.com/sell-3d-models. There are no exclusivities, extra taxes or any other complications :)

We carry various items in all categories, but taking clues from your name, space is quite a popular category as well :) You are welcome to upload the models in any format, majority of items on CGTrader are in .max, but .obj, .fbx, c4d are also quite common.

Please let me know if you have any questions either here or via dalia at cgtrader.com, and hope to see you on CGTrader soon!
    have been looking at both turbosquid, cgtrader and the3dstudio. at present turbosquid looks to be my best bet as it offers payment by check which is probably easiest for me, if any other service should offer this and be as seemingly simple to use i may well decide to sell using them.
    going to probably sell with turbosquid now though i will not be using the name "jagdpanther", "spacefighter" or "send in the jagdpanther" on there. problem is the models i plan to sell include textures derived from the standard textures included in sketchup. they are not the same textures but they were made by photo editing the textures from sketchup and a bit of resizing. can i put these in the zip file of a model i am going to sell or must i use other textures? if i must use other textures then can anyone suggest where i can find equivalents to these textures that CAN be included in a model i am selling. p.s. i already tried cgtextureshttp://cgtextures.com/ but they didn't have some of the sort of textures i needed. thanks.