Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Experiences with 3D printing payment

japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
I've recently been contacted to have one of my models 3D printed in order to make a kit for sale. The type of payment I would like has come up in the conversation. I haven't dealt with this type of transaction before, the closest I have had is selling things on turbosquid. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? Is it usually a flat fee or a royalty? I tried googling some terms but I didn't come up with much. Places like Shapeways it seems you decide how much you want to add on top of their price to manufacture. I haven't asked the person directly yet as I don't want to get myself into a corner before I know a bit more. Thanks in advance guys!
Post edited by japetus on

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    i have had some experiences with 3d printing services, but they were with instructables when they ran a free 3d printing offer(wish they would run it again). they managed to print my model fairly(very) well even though it was modelled by me for the purpose of rendering and animation rather than designed to be printed. as a thought you could always 3d print the model kit file with shapeways or another equivalent service then get people to contact you directly to buy the kits which you could then send to them, it may make your selling prices higher that way though. and as a word of warning the plastic used in 3d printing may be unsuitable for a model kit if it does not react with modelling glue in the same way that injection moulded plastic in airfix kits would.
  • HawkManHawkMan0 Posts: 0Member
    You could try a site like this
    http://www.shapeways.com/

upload your design and create your own shop,. they do the pritnign and shipping and you get paid. There's some other similar sites like 3dlt as well.