Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Obliivion

JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2013 in General Discussion #1
I checked out "Oblivion" the other night, mostly because I like what Kosinski did with Tron: Legacy. In IMAX, the visuals were truly awesome. The design team came up some really nice stuff, particularly the flying house that Cruise and his wife lived in and the ship that Cruise flew around in.

Storywise? Good, not amazing. Sufficient to make it worth seeing for the VFX work.

The music? Very...meh. Daft Punk did much better for Tron than M83 did for Oblivion.

Anyone else seen it?
Post edited by Jedilaw on

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I'm waiting for the DVD, I rarely go to the theater anymore.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    i saw it, it was alright but not fantastic. the plot was kind of weird with the "truth" not remaining the same for more than 15 minutes at a time. the VFX were good and i liked some of the ideas.
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm waiting for the DVD, I rarely go to the theater anymore.
    Neither do I. But I'm in the midst of a really unpleasant divorce (like there are fun ones), and I had the choice to either go home and fight with my imminent ex or go to a movie. I chose the movie. Plus, after I saw Oblivion I was a very naughty boy and snuck into Evil Dead.

Truthfully, the only stuff I go see on the big screen these days is stuff with really killer visuals that will put me someplace other than this mundane, effed-up world of ours. And even those I don't always see. I somehow managed to miss The Hobbit in theaters, though I did snag the Blu-Ray when it came out.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I'm sorry to hear about the divorce. Like you say, there are not fun ones, but some are amicable. I'm assuming yours isn't. I can't blame you for wanting to get away from that for a while.

I did see The Hobbit in the theater, it was really friggin' cool. Until last year, I hadn't even set foot in a movie theater in years. I started going on a limited basis to a few movies, starting when my niece was visiting and wanted to go see Brave. (great flick)
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    I have to agree. Visually pleasing, some nice action here and there, good story, the music was not too memorable, and a decent ending. But I don't see a sequel, or even a prequel.

The one thing that really did stand out to me were the drones, and the human military gear. And the stasis pods were cool, but if you seen one scifi stasis pod, you've seen then all.

Still, no regrets.
    Also, the ship he had reminded me of the Red Tail from Cowboy Bebop for some reason.
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Saw it this weekend and

****SPOILER ALERT****

'Moon', which is basically the same minus the 'splosions is much better. Oblivion would have been better is it was anyone but Tom Cruise, he simply cannot emote human emotions.
  • latchlatch0 Posts: 0Member
    Oblivion was like a checklist. They made sure they crammed everything in that movie.
  • sivaspacemparabellumsivaspacemparabellum331 Posts: 4Member
    Saw the movie. Sweet. The plot is simple, but it is visually stunning. Apparently the director himself is an architect or had some training on industrial design or other. Loved the Bubbleship. I just wish they come with a kit or a model.
    Loved the Bubbleship. I just wish they come with a kit or a model.

I second that.