Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DPen and ink ships since I can't model

• TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, reminds me a little of the Star Wars EU old Dreadnoughts.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    interesting, some f the curves on the nose look like the new style battlestar galactica, the model looks like a cargo craft but also a bit like some sort of dropship.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Oh my gosh, that is sort of what was in my head! It's probably only about three decks high at the most, the top level, which has that curved front, is the "crew" deck, pilot seats in front, locker, old sofa and hammock, maybe the size of a caravan, the nose bearing a little similarity to the Serenity. I'm definitely liking the sleekness of it in the render, I did think that Peter David was thinking a little of the Millennium Falcon when he was coming up with it.

Next time I draw it I might design something for those side boosters so they have a little more range of motion. And some hatches, one big one for cargo (I JUST now realized I designed a bit of a cargo space years ago for an unconnected project) and one for the crew, I was actually thinking there might even be a ladder or something for the guy to disembark (when I read it, I imagined him having to go up a flight of stairs to board the ship again).
    Okay, here's something that came to me yesterday, it feels like the sort of spaceship that I'd see in comic books when I was a kid. I don't know what the girl will be called yet, though.

80s-ship.jpg

And I'm still thinking about the Seeker, I need to give it a new silhouette since the original was a little too Delta Flyer. The kicker though is that it has to be simple enough because in my head, I always pictured Hunter having a small version of it on his wrist, the remote control for the ship, as it were. But the style of the ship also follows through to its' suits and gear, I found my old designs for the backpacks and retranslated them, the Seeker itself would have this same sort of smooth compartmentalized design to it (I always pictured the Seeker being the VW Beetle of space).

seeker-packs.jpg
    your latest drawing has real potential if done well. something tells me it might be a bad guys ship...
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    edited June 2022 #157
    Added the bridge structure:

exbym9i2xqib.jpg
    jiq52rsqfq71.jpg
    xbfdlcav2yuo.jpg
    Post edited by Starrigger on
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    Ooh, that's cute, I think I have some ideas for that now, actually... for some reason, once the nose got on there I started thinking of the Sea Duck from "Tale Spin," it's not what I originally intended but now I can see what it is, it's a greasy, patched together tanker thing, I can hear old rotating mechanisms and so forth, bumper stickers on the thing, smoke coming out of it... maybe there's a hatch from a different spaceship on there (maybe that's what's going on with the wings).

I just saw "Into Darkness" and you would THINK I'd want to incorporate the Miniship into this with how it works inside and out but you're wrong, this is more like an old Thunderbird model or something from the forties, when the rich had zepplin-like glass spaceships and the working slobs had these death traps. You know that there's canvas hand-clutches hanging from the ceiling, nixie tube displays, voice pipes... they can't have holographic displays because they'd keep flickering out and they're so low res you can't read 'em!

Maybe that whole gray part is just HUGGING the cargo part, it looks like it's a huge part of the ship but it's just protecting that big hold. I like that. Maybe I can put some big clutchy things or bolts to show it actually attaching physically.

And part of me is SO expecting to see rearview mirrors on that bridge. Maybe just a nice Citroen logo on the grill underneath, there's something old car-y about the design that I didn't intend that I quite like.

Meanwhile, I think I'll take the Miniship from "Into Darkness" and mix THAT with the Black Boa and Copperhead from "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" and see what that brings me.
    Okay, here's one crummy little ship that my Final Fantasy/Into Darkness mash-up produced. I mostly like it because I think the engines at the back could look like the coolant vents from the Back To The Future Deloreon, and when do we ever get to see that?

bttf-saucership.jpg

But I have another design I'm much more excited about, this hit my head the second of the Vengeance reveal in into Darkness.

vengeance-megazord-one.jpg
    Rowr, right? Power Rangers Into Darkness...

This is my first blush with it, looking just at the Vengeance QFX model and trying to put it into a robot shape. I reeeeally like it, though I want to change the legs. Let's consider this a first draft, cause I think I can change the chest a little as well. I'll look at some Iron Man, Transformers, and sentai zord reference to get it a little more "proper" but I like that this is sort of instinctual, since I'm pretty familiar with those designs already (I DID have to look up the VRV Launcher for the head design, though, just cause I knew that's what I wanted).

And of course, it was only AFTER I got excited for this idea that I realize that something like this was already IN Power Rangers (Serpenterra), but also I think I can steal a lot of this design for one of my mechs in B [ ] X, which has the coincidental name of Vanquisher (though it has no crew).
    edited June 2022 #160
    Some more shots of the Lyla:

igmzka9yppss.jpg
    bx96vprvvtpx.jpg
    spj3o3ianwqa.jpg
    Whoo! She's really coming along, got some muscle to her now.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Loving what you're doing with that design Starrigger, feels a little Alien-esque. Like the configuration you've used for the bridge viewport.
    edited June 2022 #163
    Thanks Guys, Here are a couple more. Checking out skinning..

ttibumxgzz94.jpg
    5q2aqv9pau3t.jpg
    sckv54mj5dax.jpg
    Blue love skinning. (that was meant to come off like the "Family Love Michael"/"Look at banner, Michael!" from Arrested Development, but instead it sounds like I'm into something horribly cruel).

Definitely like that texture. Actually got some nostalgia going on now.

And I love that I can see the seats through the windows!

I'm about to do this five-day purge thing, sort of like the Iron Man version of spring cleaning so no new art for a week or so, but I finally re-found that big picture of the Vengeance so I'm gonna take another crack at that robot and make it look like it's made from those parts (and of course, I AM planning a ship-version that looks more like a battleship than a Fed ship-- and I'm poking around ideas for its' evil superhero pilot (presumably if it's a Ranger-style zord, Benedict Cumberbatch would transform too-- the Master of Vengeance!) and I gotta think of a head design for it, give it a old-school naval hat or something, I'm not sure yet.
    edited June 2022 #165
    testing HDRI backgrounds

i7zqzuxzpmiw.jpg
    w7tq68we2vbj.jpg
    l3ycuuj4gmsk.jpg

Enjoy,
    Steve
    Whoa ho ho!

You know, that jutting out lip is making me think of the Planet Express ship.
    Been a while! New art, inspired by "Higher Education" by Pournelle and Sheffield. Since it was written in the late 90s, that aesthetic stuck in my head, I'm thinking these looks more like slick, cool aircraft bodies (since they never have to go into orbit). Of course, they look horizontal on the outside, but they're vertical inside.

white-liner.jpg
    sleek-rockets-2.jpg
    Some more stuff!

First is a bit of a step back, another shuttle in the style of the N1 Amphibious shuttlecraft.

barclay-shuttle.jpg

Now here's something I'd been thinking of for a month or so, I saw it in my head but couldn't get it looking right until now (and even then, it does seem a little feminine instead of slick and high-tech): the new Starfleet Captain Jackets from Starfleet: Year One. There's sort of an anime element to it that I couldn't escape, but I like the idea of the insignia being steel (and I know I stole the rank design from Mass Effect, it's my imagination, it can do whatever it wants!)

year-one-capt-jacket.jpg

But what I REALLY like is this: the OLD Earthfleet Captain Jackets. They're meant to look more World War II-ish but with some high-tech touches (like the autofit and touch zip). The name tag and Earthforce insignia I also pictured as steel, and I wanted to make the Fleet Insignia as streamlined and sleek as possible, in part to suggest its' whole "future jiggy" but also to suggest they simplified the form because they had to make so many of them: few cuts, few wasted scraps. Efficient design.

earthfleet-capt-jacket.jpg
    earthfleet-pins.jpg

Now these... maybe you'll like 'em, maybe you won't, but there's sort of a little sci-fi bent to them: Power Rangers! Well, inspired by the new Figarts toys on display at Comic-Con (why didn't toys look that good when *I* was a kid) and with my intent to give them a little high tech-y sci-fi overhaul to see what comes out. Just a change of pace from what we normally have going on here.

super-and-hexa-red-helmets.jpg
    yellow-figarts-style.jpg
    New ship! Inspired by a short I read the other day. Enjoy.

long-term-colont-ship-web-res.jpg
    edited June 2022 #170
    Hey Blue, Revisiting the Cruiser:

xsd87esdticu.jpg
    bvp9haasu4br.jpg
    hlbtp8cplcfg.jpg
    hcdmiip4fcvd.jpg
    tx8q6zuo0p8l.jpg
    hmnb629xx17l.jpg
    vl68xcbw9aoj.jpg
    lynnsrc9cljn.jpg
    wokrsgspywy7.jpg
    sk8pkwfkebvj.jpg
    skj79vyw87lr.jpg

Enjoy
    Steve
    Oh my goodness, awesome! Cooler than I expected! I gotta download these pics and start playing with 'em! I love that the extrusions at the front look like skyscrapers sticking out the front. Reminds me of the Sulaco in a wonderful way.

Now, are those scoops at the front like ramjets, is that whole underpart of the ship for taking in materials and throwing them into the engine? Cause now I have an idea of what to do with that lower part. Or are they twin deflector dishes? I zoomed in and they looked like little dishes... either way, I'm getting ideas.

Since I doodled these ages ago, I finally got an idea of what the uniforms look like (I posted the Captain's jackets earlier, but there's some cool blue uniforms that came into my head for the first Starfleet outfits).

Thanks for keepin' hope alive, man. I keep thinking I need to put up new stuff on this thread.
    ages since i've seen anything on this thread.
    great work on the new ship, nice overall shape and a cool bridge. i also like the look of your engine nozzles, think there is some nostromo influence in them. cool trusswork on the bow and an interesting turret at the back. i guess those big structures to either side are some sort of FTL nacelles, the blue tip and "romanesque window" arrangement on the rear doesn't really fit with the rest of your design. would suggest you greeble up the large surfaces somewhat more and add more visible panel lines, consider some more turrets which also rotate about the z(up down) axis. anyway, great work, look forward to seeing it fully complete.
    The blue tips seem a bit strange to me as well but I think I can figure out a way to marry them to the design. I'm definitely going to try and design a bridge tower that fits more into the aesthetics of the ship and figure out something to do with that flat space.
    The blue tips seem a bit strange to me as well but I think I can figure out a way to marry them to the design. I'm definitely going to try and design a bridge tower that fits more into the aesthetics of the ship and figure out something to do with that flat space.

i don't think the bridge tower is a problem actually, i'd say it fits in fine.
    Blue, Don't know why I didn't think of this before. Install Sketchup on your system, then PM me and I will send you a link to the ship files so you can at least see these in 3D and move around them.

Steve
    I gotta find Sketchup-- I installed it once and couldn't figure it out. Though I did give up pretty quick.

Evidently, I still have it on my computer.
    I gotta find Sketchup-- I installed it once and couldn't figure it out. Though I did give up pretty quick.

Evidently, I still have it on my computer.
    you may have it but in some cases newer skp files won't open in older versions of the program.
    you may have it but in some cases newer skp files won't open in older versions of the program.

Yep, that's what happened. And I downloaded the new Sketchup and it wouldn't work with my OS. I don't know why I didn't think that would happen. It's little complications like that which keep me loyal to pencil, pen and paper.
    which version and system are you using?
    Mac 10.6.8. Though I honestly want to answer like Orson Welles, "the right system for what I've been doing is what I'm using."
    hmm, which version of sketchup?