Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dbanshee fighter

spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2013 in Finished Work #1
awhile ago i modelled the banshee fighter in my history of space fighters WIP thread, it is now finished. i have uploaded a short animation and also(if you download the plugin) you can tour the model on 3d via at the link on this page.

3d viewing here

a description is included here
Named after the chief engineer involved in it's design the Hurst class, commonly referred to as the Banshee was the primary British Star Fleet laser gun fighter in the years 2105 to 2120. armed with 2 medium laser guns and 1 high power continuous beam laser cannon in a turret below the fuselage it is well protected and capable of dealing heavy damage for a fighter of it's size. it has hyperspace flight capability for FTL travel across interstellar distances, the drive used has a compression factor of 5×10^7 . it is propelled by four Titan Pluto MK II fusion ramjet engines, each with a power of 3.6×10^16 watts allowing the 2500 kg fighter to reach 80% of the speed of light in under 9 minutes(ignoring relativistic corrections). it has full air recycling allowing an breathable atmosphere to be maintained for as long as there is a power supply from the reactors, otherwise however there are no waste or water recycling systems so the banshee is limited to missions a day or two in duration at the absolute maximum. the hurst class also has shielding provided by two generators inside the fuselage. as a wide fighter with no wing folding ability it was limited to operating independently or from large ships( hunter killers, destroyers, batlecruisers, cruisers) but not frigates. as an atmosphere capable craft it was produced in large numbers and some were converted to slightly different roles. The banshee was retired from service due to the Admiral Peck Class(Hellhound) replacing it in almost exactly the same role, unlike the MK I hyperspace fighter (Russell class MK I "phoenix") no civilian version of this hull was ever produced but a few hundred Banshees, smuggled out of scrap yards, are believed to be circulating on the black market.

and the video is below

http://youtu.be/fvLrVUuPTwU

[video=youtube_share;fvLrVUuPTwU]
Attachment not found.

hope you enjoy it/them.
Post edited by spacefighter on
Tagged:

• SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    While this is probably the best one of your fighter designs it suffers from a complete lack of decent textures. Where are the fuselage markings, panel lines, rivets, et cetera? There's no real sense of scale aside from the canopy either. Textures most definitely need work if you're going to call this finished along with better a better lighting setup. I know Sketchup is more than capable of improving your work here.
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    What Juvat said. Sketchup can do a lot more. At least try projection textures or something. There are lots of people here (myself included) who use sketchup and could maybe offer some pointers on getting the most out of it. Your inspiration and motivation is evident, if your technique were to match I'm positive you would see a quantum leap in the end results. The video is a great touch, wish I knew how to do that. I'd suggest limiting the camera movement and reducing the number of cuts though.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I agree with the others. The model is definitely good, I like the design as well. I'll it's missing are some good fighter textures. I'm sure there are tutorials out there on making those.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    thanks everyone, this is the most comments i've ever had on a finished work thread(and also the best comments i've had on a finished work thread). you all mention more/better textures which i agree is a good idea and i have some knowledge of how to do textures in sketchup using the position texture tool but i am unsure of exactly what the textures should look like. i have seen some fantastic examples of skp models(yours included bbzwbbzw) with textures and markings but i m really unsure of what sort of markings to use and how to make them fit well with the model rather than looking like they are slapped on as an afterthought. and bbzwbbzw follow the link in my tutorial to see how i get sketchup models into blender where i animate them, i can explain more about that if you want to know. will have a look for tutorials on ow fighters should be textured but if anyone already knows any(or tutorials about doing really awesome texturing in sketchup) please share the links to them with me. thanks.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Since you're using Blender to render, I can probably offer a bit more advice. While I don't use that software, I know that it has a lot of useful tools and that there are a lot of tutorials for it out there. In order to get the textures to fit the model and look right, you're going to have to learn about UV Mapping, that's the key. I just Googled "UV Mapping in Blender" and I got a lot of results, many of which are video tutorials. So, you should be able to find plenty of help. :)
    There is also tons you can do without using textures that will add realism. Adding panel lines and control surfaces not only increase realism but also give a sense of scale.
    bbzwbbzw wrote: »
    There is also tons you can do without using textures that will add realism. Adding panel lines and control surfaces not only increase realism but also give a sense of scale.
    yes but where should those panel lines go, obviously between parts which would be separate panels but which parts would that be?
    also i like the smooth look of some of my fighters so how do i add panel lines without wrecking that?
    yes but where should those panel lines go, obviously between parts which would be separate panels but which parts would that be?
    also i like the smooth look of some of my fighters so how do i add panel lines without wrecking that?

There are absolutely billions of pictures of fighter jets online. Use those for inspiration and guidance.

For the second part, panel lines will only enhance the curves of a smooth craft if done in moderation.
    sorry have not retextured yet, have however created a new render and this page on my blog.
    http://britishstarfleet.blogspot.co.uk/p/hurst-class-mk-iv-banshee-spaceair.html

Attachment not found.