Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCalpurnius' WIP

CalpurniusCalpurnius171 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Freighter MkIII.jpg

New to the boards.

This is a test fit of a WIP star freighter.

Purple is a place-holding color for potential ports. I have already laid out some ports on the front starboard side.

The cargo bay opens across the ship. There is internal detail not visible in this angle.
95589.jpg
Post edited by Calpurnius on
Tagged:

• DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    Intriguing, certainly. Don't often see a vertical alignment for cargo bays, so that's already a plus point. Only potential issue is that it looks very 'flying box', some sort of appendages or outriggers could well help that.
  • CalpurniusCalpurnius171 Posts: 0Member
    Freighter Test II.jpg

Fleshing out the forward decks.
    95620.jpg
    Fleshing out the rear decks and adding engines. This was a modeling session I did just after waking up. I found I was far more ambitious with my detailing than I had been in the forward section. What I really like in the engines is the "exhaust cage."

Freighter MkIII (Test 3, Rear).jpg

Also reworked the front decks. In the previous edit the sections leading down to the bridge area were more complex, though awkward from a polygon stance. I removed edges and reworked the angles. The angles, I hope, are a natural draw for the eye to the bridge area.

I like the idea of the bridge area being off center-line. This is obviously not a Star Trek Federation ship. It's more Star Wars or Galactica, if anything. I didn't feel bound by the convention of center-lines and symmetry. What it reminds me of is a concrete hauler whose cab is small and off center-line.

Freighter MkIII (Test 3, Front).jpg

Next, I'll either detail the forward decks more or try a UV unwrap and texture the "cargo hull." Honestly, UV mapping is new to me, so I'm excited to try that out. I built that hull as a separate file and kept the shape fairly simple so that it would unwrap well.
    95629.jpg95630.jpg
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    The shape is pretty interesting. It makes me think a bit of the robots in Silent Running, and the Star Wars Jawa sandcrawler.

It looks like a cargo hauler. That's for sure.
    Freighter MkIII (Test 4, Early UV Map).jpg

Created an Aztec Brush in PS, then used it to create test texturing in a UV map.

For the final model, I will be creating additional aztec brushes and depth in texturing. I'm just happy to get the UV map to work this well this time. It's been a bit of learning curve for me.

Also tried some griming here. The blurring looks right on one side, but not the other. I'm wondering if it shouldn't be done in separate layers and then joined.
    95640.jpg
    rojren wrote: »
    The shape is pretty interesting. It makes me think a bit of the robots in Silent Running, and the Star Wars Jawa sandcrawler.

It looks like a cargo hauler. That's for sure.

Rojren, if I had to claim any influence, it would be the Jawa Sandcrawler. Always did like that shape.
    Freighter MkIII (Test 5).jpg

Added greebling on the forward decks and along the side.

I've set up separate files for greebles and panels, and I've been appending them onto the deck model. I find this to give me more control over the detail and to be a remarkable time saver.

The only issue I have with it is that the most forward panel section on the starboard side bumps up against the ports. I may try to reconfigure that.

It may have been easier to texture the panels in their file than texturing them on the completed model.

BTW, in the ship's "plans" most of the crew and limited passenger space is in that forward starboard section. I don't think this is any more unusual than an oil tanker's crew space being mostly limited to the superstructure.
    95676.jpg
    Lander.jpg

It's missing its lander legs and engines because they have no color or textures yet.
    • If I was going to redo this, I would have done the cage with cylinder shapes. I don't mind the flats here, but the rounds with flat connectors would have been more interesting as well as realistic, I think.

Any thoughts?
    95722.jpg
    Dragon.png

Quick, dirty build of the SpaceX Dragon.
    95798.png
    Long time, no post.

Experimenting with mix of organic and non-organic shapes.

New Ship.png
    101711.png
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    it's interesting but the organic shapes remind me of a white star from babylon 5.