Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Blu-ray playing issue...

Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
edited May 2013 in General Discussion #1
I just got the TNG Season 3 blu-ray set... well, it will neither play in my standalone blu-ray player or the blu-ray player in my dad's computer... I tried several different discs from the 6 disc set, I'd figure 1 would be a disc error, but none will play, in either player... the set-top player says "Disc Error" and the computer says it can't read the discs...
Post edited by Chris2005 on
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
32 GB RAM
Windows 11 Pro

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Upgrade your firmware.
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    How do I do that, for the computer?

I assume it's not possible on the actual TV blu-ray player...

Update:
    The player in the computer is an ASUS BC-12B1ST...

I looked for it, all I could find on ASUS' website was an update for x86/64 Windows 8...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    It's possible if the player is networked. Mine has WIFI built in, but not all of them do. If it's not, you have to go to the manufacturer's website and download the firmware. Then you can use a flash drive to put it on the player.
    It's possible if the player is networked. Mine has WIFI built in, but not all of them do. If it's not, you have to go to the manufacturer's website and download the firmware. Then you can use a flash drive to put it on the player.

Alright, I'll see what I can do...

As for the computer's player... I can't find anything for it, except some update for Windows 8...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Well, updated the set-top player and it still doesn't work... they haven't updated their firmware since 2009...

The computer loads the discs, but the software won't play them, so I'm think it's a software thing... trying different programs...

Why can't it be simple like DVD's? :rolleyes:

Update:
    I tried ArcSoft's TotalMedia Theater and it worked, pity it's a 14 day trial... $99.99... :o
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Who makes the player? It sounds crappy if the firmware hasn't been updated since 2009.

From what I've read, these problems happen with Blu-Ray players due to new technology used to make discs. The manufacturers of the discs themselves are supposed to include the update on the discs, but that sometimes doesn't happen. Otherwise, it's up to your player's manufacturer to include the update. Either way, you should have the update. If I were you, I'd complain to someone.

Of course, it could just be that these discs use some standard that has been implemented since 2009, not even necessarily a new one. That's some really old firmware.
    Who makes the player? It sounds crappy if the firmware hasn't been updated since 2009.

From what I've read, these problems happen with Blu-Ray players due to new technology used to make discs. The manufacturers of the discs themselves are supposed to include the update on the discs, but that sometimes doesn't happen. Otherwise, it's up to your player's manufacturer to include the update. Either way, you should have the update. If I were you, I'd complain to someone.

Of course, it could just be that these discs use some standard that has been implemented since 2009, not even necessarily a new one. That's some really old firmware.

Magnavox is the player.

Yea, suffice it to say, the discs work in the computer now, no updates to firmware needed, just needed to find another software program, ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater did the trick. :D
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    You probably need a software update for your player too, but I don't know how to get one besides from the manufacturer's site.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    When you put the disks in, did it give you the option to download extra material?

I had some disks that would not play in a different film, and someone told me to always say no when given that option, and from then on I never had a problem playing a bluray again.
    You probably need a software update for your player too, but I don't know how to get one besides from the manufacturer's site.

Yea, I've updated the firmware for the player to it's most recent version, which is from 2009, lol. So I imagine it's pretty much out for playing these blu-rays, but it plays in the computer, so it's fine with me. :D
    biotech wrote: »
    When you put the disks in, did it give you the option to download extra material?

I had some disks that would not play in a different film, and someone told me to always say no when given that option, and from then on I never had a problem playing a bluray again.

I bought Season 3 from Amazon, it unfortunately doesn't come with that extra VAM stuff, I think only Best Buy purchases come with it...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro