Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

cyberspace/cyber-intelligence science fiction novels

Dr. KlunkDr. Klunk0 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2013 in General Discussion #1
ItA’s been a while since IA’ve read any science fiction. Years ago I read AsimovA’s The Robots of Dawn and Robots and Empire. I also read some Heinlein and almost everything that Kurt Vonnegut ever wrote. I read a few Star Trek novels also. Years have passed and IA’ve gotten busy with life, neglecting to read any science fiction. I think IA’d like to get back into it.

In particular, IA’m interested in reading science fiction that deals with cyber-intelligence. For example, at some point in the future we might be able to save a human mind -- it memories, personality, preferences, desires, emotions, etc. into some kind of super computer. With a personA’s mind saved before death, it would be possible to have a Skype-like conference with a dead person. I can see how such a development would be extremely popular. I can also see drawbacks such as perhaps the saving of the mind isnA’t perfect, and would people use it as a crutch, not letting go of a dead loved one.

Other uses would be the saving of a live personA’s mind and then allowing that person to go on a simulated adventure in the super computer as a game, much as we do Internet games today. When his cyber-saved mind is done, itA’s uploaded back into the human physical mind.

IA’m wondering if there are any novels that deal with this kind of subject. If so, could you recommend them to me? I would find them interesting. Thanks.
Post edited by Dr. Klunk on

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    all interesting ideas, i can gurantee that some novels feature them but perhaps the best way to find if there are any you like the look of is to read through the blurbs of the books in the sci fi and fantasy section of your local bookshop/library. i can recommend some sci fi novels BUT they are not relevant to your particular interest.
  • joededmanjoededman0 Posts: 0Member
    The name finally came to me; just about anything by William Gibson. I haven't read to much of his later work but I enjoyed his earlier work. Tends to be fairly dark and depressing in some ways. I guess he could also be considered one of the early writers in the genre of cyberpunk.

Wikipedia page on his first full length novel.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Walter Jon Williams' Hardwire is another one with a disembodied cyber-consciousness. Most of the book is summer popcorn movie fare in literary form, but it does have some moments.

Snow Crash (by Neal Stephenson) is another one dealing with the human/cyber-world connection.

As joededman said, pretty much everything by William Gibson--though Neuromancer sets the bar so high there's almost no comparison.

Graham Watkins' Virus should be avoided, by the way.

That's just a few I can think of.