Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Milan Maru (Ebon Hawk Redesign)

wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
edited February 15 in Work in Progress #1
After Years of watching all the incredible Stuff posted on this Forum, I finally decided to build my own Spaceship.
It's just a bunch of placeholders at the moment, but the basic shape is recognizable, I hope.
It's the Ebon Hawk from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, a little bit redesigned. So maybe its a later Version of the same Ship type.

3o7lzqfecbb5.png

1rrrewgk4nth.png

qc4z55kuc8us.png
Post edited by wibble on
Tagged:

• anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    Welcome to the looney-bin! heh...

it looks like you're off to a great start, good luck in your endeavors!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice start. :thumb:
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I really like that ship, bring backs lots of memories of my brief time with KotOR.
    You seem to be doing a great job with it so far.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    While the design never thrilled me (to be honest, most of the Star Wars freighter designs don't; capital ships, on the other hand...!), you're doing an awesome job on the model so far! :thumb:

Always nice to see another Blender user, too. :D
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    i like mandalorian style vessels and speeders and fighters
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    Well, i can't tell you why, but i loved this ship from the very first moment. The only thing that disturb me on star wars frighters is that they have almost no space to carry cargo. I mean thy have cargo rooms but the amount of cargo they can carry with is not worth the flight. Nevermind, Star Wars has always been more the style over logic type of movie and i like it that way.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Not bad modeling. There's a mesh error on the fourth pic by the way.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    wibble wrote: »
    Well, i can't tell you why, but i loved this ship from the very first moment.

I know what you mean. I first played that game back in '03 or '04 on the XBOX and I love the ship from the first time I saw it. In fact, I've been thinking of building one for quite some time, I just haven't done it yet.

BTW, ships like this and the Falcon are classed as light freighters, so they're not designed to carry large cargo. Whatever they can fit in the cargo holds and a few passengers are what they're designed to carry.
  • cuyacuya174 Posts: 55Member
    NICE.
    This is the ship that I first modeled properly way back when, but yours is 10 times better so far than my finished attempt
    oldmangreg: which error do you mean?
    Ok, here is some ... well i wouldn't call it progress ... just a little piece of detail work
    Here is an update on the airlock. The dorsal, external part is done so far. I'm thinking about to add a computerterminal somewhere, so that it can be opend from the outside, but I'm not sure about that now. Of course the doors are still missing and I also want to add some lamps and a ladder to the inner tube, but one step after the other.
    I also tried to do a shaded render, but as you can see, there are some errors. I modelled it in parts with surface curves, converted it into a mesh and connected the vertices in edit mode. I'm sure there is a faster and more efficient way to do that but until now this is the method I achieved the best results with. Anyway, the errors appeared on the places where I connected the vertices, so obviously I did something wrong on that step. (But they do not appear in every place)
    Somehow I do have the sense that this is a stupid rookie mistake, but I think I made clear before that I am a rookie, so I do not feel ashamed. If somebody has a tipp how to fix it, i would appreciate it (also I would prefer any tipp that do not include remoddeling)
    The Problem is that the faces I added by hand appear in a different color than the rest of the mesh, I modelled with surface curves. There are no faces overlaying, I tried recalculate the normals and partly remodelled with bigger faces and more tidy, but it makes no difference. So it may have something to do with the material or render settings but I didnt change the default settings (except of the color) I really do not know what I did wrong. Does somebody of the other blender users has some suggestion? I would really appreciate it (even if it includes remodelling)
    By the way, does somebody know if the Ebon Hawk appears in the old republic? I never played it since I don't have the money nor the time.
    It's free now, but I get that you don't have the time. I have played through parts of the game and I've never seen the ship. I won't say it doesn't appear because there are 8 different story lines in that game, but I don't think it does. It takes place 300 years after the original game, so everything is newer. Revan gets various mentions throughout the game, but I don't know if the ship is even mentioned. I searched for "Ebon Hawk" on the game's wiki and all I got was the server with the same name.
    Of course I didn't rely expectet it, but I have seen trailers and screencaps on which revan and HK-47 appeard, so I thought maybe, just maybe. It would have been a new resource for reference material, but you can't get all you want, I guess.
    Revan appears throughout the stories in different forms, due to his importance in the first game and how its story affects the story of this game. HK-51 (a newer model than HK-47) is a more recent addition. There's a quest to find parts and rebuild him.
  • jessepitcherjessepitcher0 Posts: 0Member
    As a new builder on here myself I have to say that I'm really digging the detailing you're achieving on this bad boy. I have very fond memories of the KOTOR's so this is a very cool trip down memory lane. Keep it up!

I'm also a blender user and I know it can be a bit random with the materials it assigns to faces created from the fill/face command or even extruding edges sometimes. The only thing I've found helpful is keeping a close eye on the materials tab and using placeholder materials with wildly varying and obviously different diffuse colours while you're modelling to make any mat switches blender throws at you stand out straight away. Hope that helps.
    Ok, first of all, thank you (and every one else) for your compliments.
    I guess I will see if your advise is helpful, but at least its calming me a bit down that you say its up on the moody character of Blender and not on my modelling technique.

The easy parts are done, now I'm on to figuere out the best way how to modell the slightly curved Parts on the Bow. This will be a slow process since I'm still learning and do not understand the half of all the terms used in Blender. At least I found out how to boolean-cut shapes without chrashing my PC. :)
  • jessepitcherjessepitcher0 Posts: 0Member
    There's a series on blendercookie that I found really helpful in getting me familiar with a bunch of modeling techniques in blender. It was for sale as a DVD for $30 when I got it but when I went back just now to get the link for it I saw its just been released as a member tutorial on the site itself and membership is pretty cheap. Anyway this is the link if you want to check it out

http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-series/modeling-sci-fi-vehicle/
    Wow, thank you, that seems to be a very helpful tutorial. Unfortunately I cannot afford anything that cost money for the moment, even if it is as cheap as that. To be honest the only reason I'm using Blender is that it is Freeware. But those times will change soon (so I hope) and until then it is good to know that it is there.

Just in case you haven't already noticed this on your own, there is a Thread running at the moment by "McC" and "JudgeDeath" where they are discussing pretty basic modelling techniques for Blender. I found it to be very enlightening. Of course your modell seems like you wouldn't need that anymore but it can't harm to have a look. This is the Link, just in case: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?79844-Blender-starship-modelling-techniques-Especially-enterprise-variants
    After reading the thread I recommended to jessepitcher by my own, I'm pretty sure that my problem only can be solved by remodeling. This will need a while, but hopefully it will avoid futer problems of the same kind.
    Every time I'm working on a mesh Blender is placing the vertics on rendom positions. Why is that so? For example I'm placing a vertic on X: 62.3 and after I connected it with a second it is placed on 62.30001. It seems like it is no big deal five digits behind the point but it is frustrating that Blender doesn't do what I tell him to do. I mean it's a computer programm it shouldn't have a free will. And it continues to replace the vertics every time I dublicate or mirror the mesh and as a result I get a very unclean mesh if I'm not controling the position of every vertic after every step. Thats not how it is supposed to be. It slowes down the process so much. Also I think that the render errors I was speaking of earlier are caused by that weird behavior 'cause in the end planar faces aren't as planar as they should be.
    Can somebody explain it to me? Or even better: tell me how to avoid it?
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    wibble wrote: »
    Every time I'm working on a mesh Blender is placing the vertics on rendom positions. Why is that so? For example I'm placing a vertic on X: 62.3 and after I connected it with a second it is placed on 62.30001. It seems like it is no big deal five digits behind the point but it is frustrating that Blender doesn't do what I tell him to do. I mean it's a computer programm it shouldn't have a free will. And it continues to replace the vertics every time I dublicate or mirror the mesh and as a result I get a very unclean mesh if I'm not controling the position of every vertic after every step. Thats not how it is supposed to be. It slowes down the process so much. Also I think that the render errors I was speaking of earlier are caused by that weird behavior 'cause in the end planar faces aren't as planar as they should be.
    Can somebody explain it to me? Or even better: tell me how to avoid it?

i am not very familiar with MODELLING in blender(i use it for animation and rendering only) but have you tried using snap to tools to get objects in the right place. right click on where you want a vertex to go, choose the option "snap cursor to selected", select the vertex you want to move, choose option "snap selection to cursor". if this fails i have no clue what is wrong, perhaps post some screenshots so anyone with MODELLING experience in blender can help you.
    Well ... new problem!
    I modeled this object.
    It is very small and very poly intensive. So I tried to delete some Edge-Loops but I got this:
    If I continue to delete Edge-Loops it destroyes the whole mesh. What is that? I did this a thousend times and never had such problems. So maybe its just because it's that small and the vertices are too close together. I set the double treshhold to zero and also tried to scale it up before deleting the Edge-Loops but it makes no difference. Or maybe I changed some settings accidentally.
    Any Idea what it could be and how it could be avoided?
  • CowardCoward519 Posts: 34Member
    I think your right about it being a scale issue. Unfortunately the double threshold doesn't seem to effect delete edge loops.

Two possibly solutions are;
    First option is to apply the scale to the object after scaling up; use alt-a to do this.

Second option is to go into vertex mode and select the edge loop you want to delete, then use limited dissolve to remove the edge loop and then use dissolve to remove any remaining vertexes.
    Thanks a lot Coward. The first option it is. Its awesome how the simplest problems can drive you crazy.
    I wanted to wait with new posts until I have to show serious progress. But now I have the feeling that I need to prove that I'm still on it.
    I know it seems like there hasn't change that much, but I assure you that there is almost everything new about that model.
    Hope you like it, even if there's not much to see.
    Critic and suggestions are welcome.
    Everything looks good and clean. It's nice to see that you're still working on this. :)
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Looking pretty solid, wibble.

Don't know if they'll be of use to you, but I just saw your earlier posts from May/July and I have a handful of Blender tutorials in my sig that you may glean something from.