Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

New star trek ships and fan series that follows canon?

vivienneanthonyvivienneanthony0 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2013 in General Discussion #1
Hey,

Could people talk and put together some decent Star Trek short films(thats canon)? I saw the new trailer for Into The Darkness. The new ships are flat out ugly to the fugply JJPrise. I seen better designed ships from fans and it's a disappointment to see Abrams destroy every ship that we grew up on. Additionally, ignoring Gene Rodenberry vision.

Vivienne
Post edited by vivienneanthony on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    How is Abrams destroying anything? He's doing his own thing, it's your decision to watch or not watch it. Personally, I have every classic Trek on DVD and I follow a number of fan film projects, so the Trek I grew up with remains very much alive and not destroyed.

If you want to see some good canon-ish Trek by a dedicated group of fans, I'd suggest trying Phase II.
  • vivienneanthonyvivienneanthony0 Posts: 0Member
    How is Abrams destroying anything? He's doing his own thing, it's your decision to watch or not watch it. Personally, I have every classic Trek on DVD and I follow a number of fan film projects, so the Trek I grew up with remains very much alive and not destroyed.

If you want to see some good canon-ish Trek by a dedicated group of fans, I'd suggest trying Phase II.

I know he is doing his own thing but it seems extremely dark. I actually liked the reboot. The main thing I don't like is his idea of what a federation ship looks like. I saw a good amount of the TOS and almost every DS9 and TNG episode. Every ship thats cannon has been a gradual change but it kept in heart simplicity. It mostly was well designed. It took me a while for the Galaxy class to grow on me. The Defiant was a instant hit.

The main thing I noticed in all the threads. Mostly all the ships thats the fans have been making keeps that same tradition. The new JJprise and the other ship would be great for Star Wars or any other sci fi flick. Since Abrams will be doing Star Wars. I think Star Trek is going lean in the direction of Star Wars.
    How is Abrams destroying anything?

My main point was I like to see some original fan films work using awesome models CGI models (fan made) and near commercial quality acting, sound, and visual effects? In a well constructed and thought out format. JJ Abrams can do whatever he wants but I think there is enough skillset out here to do a great job or project.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    My main point was I like to see some original fan films work using awesome models CGI models (fan made) and near commercial quality acting, sound, and visual effects? In a well constructed and thought out format. JJ Abrams can do whatever he wants but I think there is enough skillset out here to do a great job or project.
    you got the funding for that?
    IRML wrote: »

I wish. I actually some little time trying to get some people who does science fiction writing, voice acting, visual effect/makeup, and music. I personally know people who can do all of the above. It's hard because I have a vision. Due to school and work I can't do it like I want. If I had the team, I would get the funding. Only thing I have to wait I can do is getting Titan video cards on my system for my Blender and video editing that I can do. Also spending the summer learning Sketchup and 3d Max.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The main thing I don't like is his idea of what a federation ship looks like.

On that point, I definitely agree.
    IRML wrote: »

That's the big issue. I'm sure that's the number one reason for fan films folding, followed closely by people not having time to devote to them.

@Vivienne: You may definitely want to look into some fan films. There are various ones doing classic Trek. And, if you want to get involved, many are frequently looking for volunteers. A few are in your area, around NY, etc.