Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DVir Inter Astrum Reboot

• bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks guys.
    Here is an update on the imperial fighter;

imp1e.jpg
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    love where that design is going
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Glad to see, you are back! Detail level on updated designs is truly on professional level. BTW, how do you create those small ribs on curved surface, where push/pull isn`t working?
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    Great to see you back! It seems it's time to stalk that forum again :)
    I'm amazed by the quality of your new models. Can't wait to see what the new info sheets will look like.
    Thanks for the support guys!
    @ Stonecold; Good to see you are still around! As far as the panel lines, it's too easy; In this one the wing was a group, outside of the group create a very thin rectangle, push/pull it over the wing, cut it, open the wing group, intersect it, and delete the parts you don't need. If it's thin enough it will look like a joint line in a render.
    @ Khay; I'm still trying to get a good layout for the info sheets. I plan on doing 2 per vehicle, one with the 3d model and one with illustrated profiles. Can't figure out if I should put the finished sheets in the 2d or 3d forums as it will be a bit of both.
  • TomboTombo0 Posts: 0Member
    This place soooo needs a "like" button :). Looks good
    bbzwbbzw wrote: »
    @ Khay; I'm still trying to get a good layout for the info sheets. I plan on doing 2 per vehicle, one with the 3d model and one with illustrated profiles. Can't figure out if I should put the finished sheets in the 2d or 3d forums as it will be a bit of both.

Tricky. Maybe in the 3d forums so as to keep them separate from the old thread?
    Thanks for the support guys!
    @ Stonecold; Good to see you are still around! As far as the panel lines, it's too easy; In this one the wing was a group, outside of the group create a very thin rectangle, push/pull it over the wing, cut it, open the wing group, intersect it, and delete the parts you don't need. If it's thin enough it will look like a joint line in a render.
    Yeah, still stalking around, Thou I`m somewhat stalled in modelling. Too much work around.
    No, I`m not talking about pannel lines (I`ve got the same technique, actually). I was talking about ribs on the front edge of the craft, they seems to be extruded from the surface.
    36345_imp1e.jpg
    By the way, do you intend to re-design capitalships too?
    Stonecold wrote: »
    By the way, do you intend to re-design capitalships too?

There is no way these new enormous SuperCorsairs fit inside the old carriers :D
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208171 Posts: 0Member
    These look great guys!

Ive a peculiar set of questions: Have you tried importing these models into other programs? How does the geometry look? How does the geometry look in kerkythea?
    @ Stonecold; I cut the front portion out, made that a seperate component, moved it back into position but nudged it back a bit. Then on the engine group I cut it out of I made a circle and used follow-me around the edge of the cut out section. And yes, all capital ships will be redone, I'm working on the CEGD frigate and USSN carrier. I'm going for a much more real world look for both and the new capital ships will be a much more long range project.

@Khay; I'm trying to keep the carriers under 500m in overall length so I'm rethinking how to pack 36 fighters in it while keeping the overall look of the original. Actually, I'd like to make it more visuall interesting as I think the new one just looks like a giant rectangle.

@alonzo11208; I've tried kerkythea, twilight, vray, and raylection. Personally I like raylection the most as it seems the most user friendly. I haven't tried importing into blender or anything like that.

Oh, as a note, my goddamn ISP is on the fritz so i don't know when I'll be posting the next pic. Very frustrating!
    Overreacted on the connectivity issues. :) Speaking of capital ships, here is a pic of where I am on the imperial patrol frigate;
    impfrig.png
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    ooh, I like the patrol one very much! More please...

Steve
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    very solid looking craft, how does it slow down, retros or turn around?
    Thanks Starrigger, more on the way!

I'm going to pop some retros on the forward hull.
    It's the new version of the Yan class? Looks great. The new engine assembly looks more... improvised, i'd say, with the cable things around. But that's far from a bad thing :D
    Do the old ships still have a place in the VIA-verse, the new ones being new models, of do they replace them?
    500m long for ships is far from abusive imho in terms of plausibility, knowing that the Eugen Maersk and his sister-ships are already almost 400m long and the Knock Nevis amost 460m. (The fact that i love the angry look of the Tian Shang Long has nothing to do with that^^)
    Yep, this is the update on the Yan class. I'd really like to update a lot of the older ones, but I can't say for sure everything will be updated.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    Overreacted on the connectivity issues. :) Speaking of capital ships, here is a pic of where I am on the imperial patrol frigate;
    impfrig.png
    i quite like this, i see you have placed the engine far from the crew section so guess it emits quite a bit of radiation. this is the sort of thing that would appear on the atomic rockets website. also good heat radiators, maybe add some more sensor and some weapons onto the forward section, i think antennas and masts for supporting small sensors could look very effective.
    impfrig.png
    I see a radiator position issue here. Radiators can`t be placed closer then 90 degrees, otherwise they will heat each other instead of cooling. Save for this - very impressive ship. Guess, US and HRE navy should be re-designed from scratch too, since their craft are too "futuristic" for the newer designs.
    Thanks for the tip about the radiators, should be easy to tweak. This one is a ship that's pushing 40 years old, so while I plan on redoing them they will look much more advanced. I'm really debating on including limited anti-gravity on more 'modern' ships, just to allow more design creativity, but I'm wrestling with the idea because it sort of seems like a cop-out.
    Gravity/antigravity devices, are a free ride for reactionless drive. Which is somewhat out of the charts of "science" fiction, IMHO.
    Stonecold wrote: »
    Gravity/antigravity devices, are a free ride for reactionless drive. Which is somewhat out of the charts of "science" fiction, IMHO.
    I kinda agree. It's up to you, of course, but i feel a good part of the VIA-verse "spice" and originality lies in its realistic feeling. The risk is that it breaks the consistency of the setting.
    Have to say I'm not too fond of the idea of artificial gravity in the VIA-Verse. It's a slippery slope, next you'll want to include aliens and before you know it you'll be designing wisecracking robots and introducing child-geniuses :)

Seriously though I prefer the hard sci-fi style.
    OK, you convinced me!
    Tombo wrote: »
    next you'll want to include aliens and before you know it you'll be designing wisecracking robots and introducing child-geniuses :)
    hmmm, I do like the idea of every culture having a single outfit that all members of said culture wear and each culture is defined by a single overriding sterreotype...Thanks for the idea Tombo! :p
    Tombo wrote: »
    Have to say I'm not too fond of the idea of artificial gravity in the VIA-Verse. It's a slippery slope, next you'll want to include aliens and before you know it you'll be designing wisecracking robots and introducing child-geniuses :)

Seriously though I prefer the hard sci-fi style.
    As for "child-geniuses" - it was allready used in HRE. Sort of. "Calcium hack" - genetic fix, to reduce zero-gravity effect.
    Well, your level of artificial gravity does necessarily break things, spin gravity, thrust gravity, definitely don't, gravito-magnetic (see the show defying gravity for an example).
    Defying gravity`s "gravitomagnetic" approach is completely fictional and non-functional. There is nothing common between gravity and magnetism. Main problem of zero-g, is that astronaut`s bones loose calcium. In a long run, it will ruin whole bone structure. Magnetism can do nothing to help in this case.
    OK, you convinced me!

hmmm, I do like the idea of every culture having a single outfit that all members of said culture wear and each culture is defined by a single overriding sterreotype...Thanks for the idea Tombo! :p

Oh god what have I done :(....

:p
    Sorry I wrote that in the middle of the night after two nights without sleep. Basically I was talking the concept wherein you have ferous plates in the major joints of your suit, i.e. ankles, knees, hips, shoulders, down the back, elbow and wrists, then a magnetic field in the floor pulls you down simulating gravity. It creates some of the stress and strain on your bones and joints that traditional gravity would offer. Of course anything else you want to have "Gravity" would have to have metal plates in them too, and liquid would be unaffected, but it would assist with bone wear, though everything would have to be EM shielded too.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    means of generating gravity:

realistic
    1. rotating section(like an omega class in babylon 5)
    2.constant acceleration at 9.8 ms^-1
    3.spin the whole spacecraft(such as a tumbling pigeon design)
    4. carry a colossal mass under the deck(not advisable due to effect on accelerations)
    5. diamagnetic levitation may be able to produce a similar effect to gravity on objects containing water if applied in the right wayhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation#Diamagnetism

possible or not yet completely disproved
    6. harness gravitons/produce gravitons if such particles exist
    7. generate gravitational fields without large masses(answers as to whether this is possible will probably be found in a theory of everything)

gravity like forces but not with a unit force per unit mass
    8. magnetic or electrically charged objects attached to astronauts and objects

any of these helpful?
    Knight26 wrote: »
    Sorry I wrote that in the middle of the night after two nights without sleep. Basically I was talking the concept wherein you have ferous plates in the major joints of your suit, i.e. ankles, knees, hips, shoulders, down the back, elbow and wrists, then a magnetic field in the floor pulls you down simulating gravity. It creates some of the stress and strain on your bones and joints that traditional gravity would offer. Of course anything else you want to have "Gravity" would have to have metal plates in them too, and liquid would be unaffected, but it would assist with bone wear, though everything would have to be EM shielded too.
    Just explain, how it would assist with calcium loss? You see, even if you manage to stick the crew to the walls, their bodies will still be in zero-g. Biological processes are different in zero-g and normal gravity. If you want to create some sort of stress for pilots body - there is much simpler way, like training equipment onboard of modern space stations. However, it is still just partially solve the problem. So, spin-gravity or thrust-gravity are the only way out, if you don`t use "magitech".
    4. carry a colossal mass under the deck(not advisable due to effect on accelerations)
    5. diamagnetic levitation may be able to produce a similar effect to gravity on objects containing water if applied in the right wayhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magneti...n#Diamagnetism

possible or not yet completely disproved
    6. harness gravitons/produce gravitons if such particles exist
    7. generate gravitational fields without large masses(answers as to whether this is possible will probably be found in a theory of everything)

gravity like forces but not with a unit force per unit mass

Place the gravity sourse in front of your craft, and you`ve got a reactionless engine. It will move the ship as long, as there is energy, used to create a singularity, no reaction mass used. That is actually, what I would try to avoid in VIA-verse, if I can.