Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DVir Inter Astrum Reboot

bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2015 in Work in Progress #1
After a looong break and hardcore burnout, I'm getting back into the hobby. I've decided to go back and redo everything with, what I hope, is much better models and artwork. Here are a couple things I'm working on.

supercorsaircolor.th.png
impfrig1.th.jpg
wc1s.th.jpg
Here is a comparison of the original model I did a few years ago and the new one. I'll be spending much less time in photoshop now.
comp1.th.png
It's good to be back!
109277.jpg
Post edited by bbzwbbzw on
Tagged:

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Very nice... I love the Jolly Rogers color scheme.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    nice craft, the skull and crossbones on the tail reminds me of the colour scheme on some f 14s .
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    nice craft, the skull and crossbones on the tail reminds me of the colour scheme on some f 14s .
    Yeah, all the markings are cold war era squadrons. here is a quickie render of the finished corsair in a vf-213 color scheme;

vf213.th.png
    The skull and crossbones, as well as the yellow/black colors are specific to the Jolly Rogers squadron, AFAIK, although variations of those patterns are also used on other squadrons.

F-14-006-A2.jpg
    Different squadrons have inherited the name Jolly Rogers over the years. It was originally VF-17 in WWII, flying corsairs in the pacific. When that squadron was deactivated the identity was adopted by VF-61, and so on to VF-84 and currently it is VF-103.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    It's really nice to see you back :thumb::D:thumb:. Hope your batteries are recharged! Are you still using SU for the models or have you upgraded?
    Hey cavebear, it's good to be back, and yes, fully recharged. Still using sketchup, I think I'm getting better with it and having a computer that's not from the 20th century helps too! Here is an update on the corsair;

sctf.png
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    bbzwbbzw wrote: »
    Hey cavebear, it's good to be back, and yes, fully recharged. Still using sketchup, I think I'm getting better with it and having a computer that's not from the 20th century helps too! Here is an update on the corsair;

sctf.png

Great to hear! So what program are you using for the renders now that you are trying to do more of it outside of Photoshop?
    BTW, the corsair is HOT!:D It does look better than the original :thumb:
    sctf.png
    very nice,how did you do that, what software are you using.
  • TomboTombo0 Posts: 0Member
    Welcome back. Looks good so far :thumb:
    Glad you like old friend!
    And in answer to starfighter I use ketchup for the model and raylection for the render.
    Update on another one;
    wc1z.png
    Ah, the Wildcat. My favourite US fighter. Looks like you're mixing the later style fuselage with an older style engine pod. Looks good.
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member

sctf.png

you actually *can* make nice models with sketchup, i can hardly believe it.;) Awesome looking fighter... only thing I don't like is the transition from the square-ish nacelle to the round nozzle.
    Update on another one;
    wc1z.png
    i think it looks too much like an aeroplane, well atleast it has not got tail planes. the wing shape is nice though. being a sketchup user myself i am forced to agree with coolhand that nice models *can* be made with sketchup.
    I've just noticed over at Wolf's Shipyard that you're thinking of making the Wildcat the USSN primary strike fighter, giving the Crusader to the USASF and designing a totally new multi-role fighter for the USSN. If you tweaked the scaling you could increase the Wildcat to around 15m (instead of 9.7m) and even possibly make it a 3-seater (pilot, WSO, EWO) (or a 2-seater with plenty of leg room :p)
    Thanks for the comments!

@Coolhand; Looking at it I can see what you mean.
    @starfighter; Well, it's supposed to be transatmospheric, so that makes sense. I know the aerodynamics are probably farcical, but it looks like it could fly in air to a layman.
    @Tombo; That's pretty much what I was thinking! It's right at 14m and I tried it with a third crewmember but it looked a little too much like a WWII torpedo bomber to me.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    any shape or form can fly nowadays as long as its computer assisted honestly
    Here is an update;
    wildcatcolor.pngUploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    Wow I can't believe that's done in sketchup, almost makes me consider switching over from ACAD.
    I do love your designs, very nice, consistent style, and just the right amount of transatmo design elements, especially the big engines, almost sort of retro future 60/70s feel to them.
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    These are crazy awesome! They have that so-ugly-it's-beautiful look that so many 70's fighters have. The pait schemes especially are pure win!
    I cannot believe this is done in Sketchup... now I'm REALLY impressed.
  • wminsingwminsing171 Posts: 0Member
    huzzah, bbzwbbzw and VIA are back! And the models are better than ever. This made my morning. :)

Now where did I put the link for that wiki....

Re: giving the Crusader to the USASF, my only *very minor* objection is that the Crusader is not a traditional air force name, though the fighter could always be renamed. :)

The Wildcat as a strike fighter makes sense, it definitely already has a bit of 'bomb truck' look to it already! You could always design a bigger 3-seat craft for EWACS/deep space rescue/etc work.

-Will
    wminsing wrote: »
    Now where did I put the link for that wiki....
    -Will

http://via.wikia.com/wiki/Vir_Inter_Astrum_Wiki :p
    Here is an update;
    wildcatcolor.pngUploaded with ImageShack.us
    not keen on the shape(as i said too much like a normal aircrfat) but the quality of the model and the render look excellent. how did you manage that sort of panel lines effect, did you use textures and then carefully position them?

maybe ad some forefins(canards) and add some pipework and "stuff" around the engines such as thrust vectoring nozzles on the back.
    It looks like an ordinary aircraft because it's a trans-atmospheric fighter. The wings are needed for lift and for fuel storage (the fuselage is mostly weapons bays).
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    It looks that way because it is a retro-future styling, almost a what if we kept going at the 60s space race pace, where would be now, kind of look. It really works for that, and while not 100% realistic it is a dang sight better then some peoples work on here where even when people offer sound design insight they continue to ignore it, lambaste it, use bad design elements. At least the Vir-Inter-Astrum--verse stuff looks plausible, and cool.
    how did you manage that sort of panel lines effect, did you use textures and then carefully position them?.

Once the shape of the fuselage is done, you make a rectangle, push/pull it out a bit (it's going to represent the panel line), move the rectangle over the fuselage and intersect it. Erase the rectangle and you should have the panel line on the fuselage.
    Here is an update on an imperial fighter, I like the more angular look on it than the original;

imp1w.jpg
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    I like where this is going