Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D[WIP] System Patrol Frigate - Rapier Class

Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Hi all, been awhile since I've actively added a WIP on here for ages. Recently started dabbling again into 3d and thought I'd post something I've been working on for the last couple of days when I get the chance.

It's based off the Anaconda from Elite Dangerous, but I'll be adding my own 'flare' to it.
100930.jpg
Post edited by Sly Assassin on
Tagged:

• Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    I like the torpedo tubes (?) in the front part, neatly cut.
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    I like the torpedo tubes (?) in the front part, neatly cut.

Yup they're going to be Torp tubes. They're the only fixed weapon that will be on the Frigate, where the missile pods are on the main deck is a modular weapons system where the gunnery crew can lower the weapons module into the hull of the ship and swap it for another module such as a main cannon module or an advanced sensor module.
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    Agree with Judge, loving the tubes. And for a small ship, I think the shape is quite perfect. Interested to see more/other details.

And I love the idea of modularity with ships. The way I see it, thats a great way to go; building several different frames for your ship classes and then creating dozens of base modules for different configs. Which brings up something else, will you actually be completing other modules to show different configs for the frigate?
    Agree with Judge, loving the tubes. And for a small ship, I think the shape is quite perfect. Interested to see more/other details.

And I love the idea of modularity with ships. The way I see it, thats a great way to go; building several different frames for your ship classes and then creating dozens of base modules for different configs. Which brings up something else, will you actually be completing other modules to show different configs for the frigate?

Yup I will be doing different weapon modules for the ship at some stage. Possibly even a different engine module as well. Most of the hull etc will stay the same but I am considering a version for Stealth atmosphere drop-pod inserts for covert op's teams.
    If you don't mind some tactical design advice from ahn old guard wargamer and RPG player, I'd say that if torpedoes are a staple armament in the universe this ships operates in, then I'd say that some type of missile defense systems would be in order. Now you said the torpedo tubes are the only standard weapons, and if you define them as the only offensive weapons you could then mount defensive weapons, or systems, like point defense turrets to shoot down incoming ordnance, anti missile missiles in cluster launchers, etc.

As for offensive weapons, the last battlestar galactica project, "Blood and chrome" had a small colonial vessel that was armed with a lot of missiles in small, box like launchers mounted on turrets. You could use something similar, with various tyupes of launchers for various types of missiles. Some launchers might hold one really honking missile, a ship killer type, or could hold a couple dozen anti fighter missiles meant to kill fighters if you have any.

A ship like that is also a 'hit and run' type vessel as it can quickly deliver one hell of a punch, but one she empties her tubes she has to withdraw.

This is how PT boats operated in ww2 mostly, so it has a precedent in reality.

Also, the ship could be configured for a defensive or offensive role, as it carrying a small number of powerful ship killer missiles for offensive work or a large number of interceptor type missiles to defend other targets from incoming ordnance.

I'd suggest checking out the scene in battlestar galactica blood and chrome where the colonial vessel fights the cylon basestar for some ideas on missile pod armament.

Other systems could be laser turrets meant to shoot down incoming weapons as a system that doesn't run out of ammo so fast, rail guns that fire self guiding projectiles, etc.
    Sorry for the late reply, been busying packing and shifting for a new job I started yesterday. Managed to get some time last night to dabble and did a render tonight.

@ Judge Death: Good ideas, I was basically thinking along the lines of PT boat when I started on this. Will semi stolen look from the Anaconda. I'm going to be working on some Point Defense Weapon Systems in the next few days. I'm thinking of placing two PDWS behind the missile launchers and one or two back behind the Bridge to cover the engines and rear shuttle bay.

Overall the ship will be offensive in nature. The Torps and Missile racks will give it punch against both Capital class vessels and small ships like Hunter Killers and Fighters.
    100849.jpg
    Afternoon all, so today I've started making some Anti-Missile Defensive weapons for the Frigate. About half way through how I want them to look. So far there are five AMDW emplacements on the ship, one on the bow, two midships and one in the aft.

Also removed the large deck doors I had in the bow area. Originally they where going to be for ejecting the torpedo magazine but I didn't like the look in the end. Plus did some other bits and pieces that aren't noticeable in the renders.
    100923.jpeg
    Another update for tonight, got the AMDW's in the places I want them and ended up recessing them into the hull plating a bit more.

Also added some access hatches in the bow and along the center of the deck, along with some vent shafts in case of radiation leaks/fires etc onboard.
    100930.jpg
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    nice detailing but for a space craft it looks awfully like a sea going ship,(the ddx cruiser). nice missile batteries and a good low profile(even if that is not needed).
    nice detailing but for a space craft it looks awfully like a sea going ship,(the ddx cruiser). nice missile batteries and a good low profile(even if that is not needed).

It's meant to look very 'Sea going', it's part of the appeal of the ship. Will be doing some more work on it today. And a render I did late last night.
    100935.jpg
    Again I redcomm3end you watch the ship battle scene in "Battlestar galactica blood and chrome" as it had a ship armed mostly with missile boxes and it might give you some ideas.
    Downloading it now, will take a look :)
    Did some more work on the Bridge of the ship, added some blocked in parts which I'll start adding details to shortly.
    100941.jpg