Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DJJEnterprise based on Tobias Richter's work

123457»

• PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Well one thing I did notice is the lip of your secondary hull is far too thin in the area I have circled here. Again, reference al3d's model. It's almost perfectly accurate to the ILM model in every way. Tobias' is also fantastic, but al3d's shape is more accurate.

5WuyutI.jpg
  • x2egox2ego0 Posts: 0Member
    That's actually an artistic license I took on purpose. I knew all the other references had thicker edges, but I put myself in an engineers viewpoint and asked myself: "Would the hull wall or the edges have any reason to be between 10 and 15 feet thick in those areas?" The answer was off course not, they wouldn't be that thick anywhere on the ship. Ergo, artistic license :thumb:
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    ILM's model is amazingly slapdash but I guess it got the job done on-screen. But its really not hard to improve on in terms of structural logic and aesthetics.
    ILM's model is amazingly slapdash but I guess it got the job done on-screen. But its really not hard to improve on in terms of structural logic and aesthetics.

I would not know, since I have no experience with the original ILM model other than seeing it in the movie. Do you know of or have other sources we might be privy to?
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    x2ego wrote: »
    I would not know, since I have no experience with the original ILM model other than seeing it in the movie. Do you know of or have other sources we might be privy to?

Well, having looked at it carefully in the movie and in promotional materials I can see its just not up the the same standard of finish and detailing as the Kelvin.
  • gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    How so? I'm just curious.
    In case anyone is still interested in my version of the Enterprise, it's coming along nicely. Using Al's model as a reference, I am almost done reshaping the primary hull. The only problem with that is the fact that everything else associated with the hull no also needs to be reshaped, eg, the hangar bay, the photon canons, etc. Good thing I'm not on any time crunch and this is basically my way of keeping out of trouble :devil:
    Cool. When do we get to see a render?
    I'll post some progress pics later on tonight

Edit:

Haven't forgotten, just saw so many things I had to "fix" before I felt comfortable posting any more renders. Still fixing, will post when ready.
    It doesn't seem like much of an update, but a major portion of the main hull was reworked, the dish section was re-done, the tricky intersection between hull and dish section was worked on, it's the two pronged fork part just behind the dish, etc. As you can see, the detail part on the side of the hull is now partially buried in the hull because of the refit. Still lot's to be played with. Anyway, I just wanted to post this little bit to show a sign of life :D

Clay1.jpg
    100917.jpg
    I've tried modeling that secondary hull a couple of times and just gave up in frustration. I got the saucer and nacelles though. So you're doing way better than me!
    Thanks for the encouragement PM - a little bit goes a long way. Modeling something organic is easy. Modeling a purely mechanical object is pretty straight forward too, but modeling a shape that is both mechanical and somewhat organic is a b!@#$!
    Small grille just below the dish, detail on side of hull completely redone with big reduction in polys, reshaped nacelle struts and detail piece running on leading edge. Also used skylight and AO for what I think is a nice looking outside render. Front of primary hull and dish section pretty close to being done. I'm gonna rework the grille piece in the neck section and rework the greeble in the Photon bay.

Clay3AO.jpg
    100936.jpg