Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAnother bunch of Trek interiors

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That sucks about the computer. :( Yeah, those blurred reflections will add to render times on any system. But, they look fantastic, that looks just like the shiny black surfaces from the movies and TNG, DS9, VOY. :)
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Thanks!

My biggest problem right now is that I haven't had a chance to do this stuff for such a long time that I actually have to re-learn a lot of stuff (e.g., mental ray settings).
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    (This is not a criticism of your work)

After Mass Effect...every time I see Trek interiors they are down right primitive in comparison. I was hoping the movie would do something about this but Trek really needs a upgrade of it's style of User interface...even Minority report had truly futuristic interfaces That was 2002...

I hope the artist here can take it further with the incredible tallent I see in threads like this.
    Maybe, but that's a different franchise and what I want is to create something in the same vein as the sets seen in the shows and movies (except for that lensflare diarrhea).
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    ItA’s good to see some new renderings coming from you old buddy! ;) Yeah, freetime is a thing that I donA’t have that much these days too...
    Sorry to hear about your notebook. My pc is dying too... first, I replaced an internal fan of the font, and now, IA’ll have to replace the motherboard. Maybe itA’s time for a new pc (when I have money for it, of course :D).
    Thanks.
    Yes, I know what you mean. Though in my case it's almost entirely work instead of family obligations.
    I wasn't happy to part with 1600 bucks for a new desktop on such short notice, but it was worth it (i7 3770k, 16 GB DDR3-1600 RAM, GTX 680, decent SSD & HDD, lots of cooling equipment, all components for 24/7 operation).

The producer also wanted to try a red color scheme, similar to the bridge. Here's a quick test with and without post processing:
    tmppotemkinsickbay0041.th.jpg tmppotemkinsickbay0041r.th.jpg
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Very sweet details! I do see a number of blotchies still (and blurry reflection can sometimes look like blotchies too, to be annoying hehe). Glad to hear your back up and running, those computer issues sound suck!

Looking forward to seeing more!

(edit)

OOh a red colour scheme, I wonder if someone's been peeking at my stuff, even if it is a classic colour combo for sickbay :)
    Thanks, mate!

Sorry to disappoint you, but the red one was requested by the fanfilm's producer. My personal favorite was the orange theme for the science deck, because it's much closer to the late 70's / early 80's setting. For similar reasons, the hangar deck was supposed to receive a mix of pastel green and one of my favorite blues (pseudo-VR Flash sequence): http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1363604350

The blotchiness will probably remain until I ramp up the settings for the final images. I'm certainly not in the mood to wait more than two hours for a mere test render.
    I wasn't accusing you :D and 2 hours for a test render... Wimp! :P

Cool VR, needs something in the back :D
    Not everyone needs his test renders crisp enough to make out some dust bunnies five miles away. :p

Right now, the shuttlebay isn't much more than a shell for future work.
    Apart from the current differences she'll also receive a movable tractor emitter on those ceiling rails, similar to the cargo cranes in a Star Wars hangar (little nod to ILM's work, which made most of the best Trek movies possible in the first place).
    cargoshuttle.th.jpg containers.th.jpg

BTW: One of these days I really need to finish that old Saber Class sickbay as well, along with this companion piece.
    voysaberbridge3bcomposi.th.jpg
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work. Nice to see you back on task. Loving your sickbay work. :D
    Thanks.
    Great to hear that from someone whose interiors are as awesome as yours (same goes for tehbian and the other usual suspects).

[edit]
    Don't think I've posted it in this thread, but this is the sickbay to go with that Saber bridge:
    sabersickbay.th.jpg
    [/edit]

[edit2]
    Number cruncher is once again back at work. Guys, it's great to be back!!!
    tmppotemkinsickbay0042r.th.jpg
    [/edit2]

[edit3]
    Apparently this section of sickbay isn't as complex to calculate as the surgical section. This was finished in a mere 31 minutes:
    tmppotemkinsickbay0042.th.jpg
    [/edit3]
    Let the system do a batch render over night, so I only first saw these a few minutes ago myself.
    Updated cameras with the new color scheme:
    cam6w.th.jpg cam5ltv.th.jpg cam4q.th.jpg
    cam3z.th.jpg cam2s.th.jpg cam1yz.th.jpg

And yes, I know that the render settings seem too low for some areas.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    nice sir! some excellent interiors your rocking there!
    Lovelly stuff. I love the warm even lighting from ceiling and the colour scheme works really well. The only real crit is the chairs look a little to harsh, and the beds need a bit more softness. Fabric is really tricky to pull off! :-)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice, you have any top-don views of that sickbay? Looks sweet anyway.
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    Those renders look very good. Very nice work. :)
    Thanks, guys!

Currently working on the labels for those shelves in the surgical area.
    The glass plates were a translucent in TMP, but someone requested the colored opaque plates from TWOK (link) and it's almost impossible to make sense of those graphics next to the numbers.

@tobian: Not sure whether I'll adjust the fabric on those beds any further (already have an order for three more sets), but those leather eyesores are only still around because I haven't yet found a better replacement design that fits the late 70's style I'm aiming for.

@ST-One: Thanks, old pal! Nice to see you around these parts again. You wouldn't happen to feel any urge to fire up LightWave again? ;)
    lennier1 wrote: »
    I wasn't happy to part with 1600 bucks for a new desktop on such short notice, but it was worth it (i7 3770k, 16 GB DDR3-1600 RAM, GTX 680, decent SSD & HDD, lots of cooling equipment, all components for 24/7 operation).

Ouch!!! Here in Brazil, a machine with this configuration can cost twice and a half more!! :o
    ^^ And that's 1600 Euros, not some weaker currency like US dollar. ;)
    lennier1 wrote: »
    ^^ And that's 1600 Euros, not some weaker currency like US dollar. ;)

Ouch!!! I forgot youA’re in Germany... IA’m afraid the cost can be higher then... :o
    *looks at the Cyprus financial crisis* Yeah, weak currency...
    Aresius wrote: »
    *looks at the Cyprus financial crisis* Yeah, weak currency...
    That's more like one state going broke from its own stupidity. Without all the stuff surrounding it the whole thing would barely make a dent.
    Found a better alternative for those chairs. They were a free download at some site, but did not contain any author information.
    The main carpet will be fixed in the next version. Some noise map or modifier must've been liked with something else (probably the same thing that screwed up the dsplays on those biobeds).
    cam1gx.th.jpg cam2me.th.jpg
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    You know... it just now dawned on me... why didn't any Trek sickbay ever have partitions between the biobeds for privacy? It doesn't have to be curtains... it could be something "futuristic" like smoked plexiglass or something. It just always kind of bugged me that sickbay never had that much privacy for the patients, lol.
    Don't know. Guess the script never really required anything like that.

cam5p.th.jpg
    Not quite there. I want the carpet to look like it's old enough to need to be replaced, but something's still not right.
    100823.jpg
    @Lennier: Look at it from a bigger point of view: The Euro is weakening as well.

@Bolian: Well, we're on a military vessel where most injuries are either very minimal so that patients barely stay in the sickbay for more than a few hours, or so critical that the chances of survival are slim to none. So essentially, you don't need that much privacy for a few hours, and you definitely wont need it when you're dead. At least that's how they think (I don't, but that's just me).
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Those new plastic-backed chairs work well IMO... they look familiar though, did Kirk have something similar in his TWOK apartment?
    Thanks!
    Not exactly, but if you look at the second screenshot, you'll see why the general style feels familiar:
    http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/3012/twokhd0100.jpg
    http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3105/twokhd0110.jpg