Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DENTERPRISE...a 50's take on her.

2»

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    never liked the enterprise but the curves on this are rather elegant, the nacelles also look clean and streamlined with that very nice grating below. i like that shape of the bridge when seen from the side, i can see how it looks 50s perhaps try some other ships( hint,hint...klingon bird of prey, romulan valdore,earthforce starfury/thunderbolt,naboo royal cruiser(yes this is a list of designs i like but i cannot think of many ships that would not look interesting remodelled like this.)) or your own designs in that same elegant and curved style.

perspective render looks better than any of the other views, sometimes it can be hard to design a ship to look good from all angles and you might just base the design around one view, it seems as though you have avoided this trap.
  • wjasperswjaspers332 Posts: 0Member
    Really nice to see you modeling again, and the design looks really good.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Heh heh, loving this, you've really nailed that 50's American automobile aesthetic, most original take on an Enterprise type ship I've seen in a long while. Great work.

:thumb:
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    I don't know if this is something you'll do, but as a 50's reff one of the big thing was the atomic symbol, you know the black and yellow circle with the wedges and the dot in the middle. Something like this.

stock-vector-vector-nuclear-symbols-75328051.jpg

Another popular symbol from the 50's was this one:
    button-atomic-nuclear-symbol-thumb9122718.jpg

So, if you really want to drive home (no pun intended, honestly.) the 50's meme maybe you could work something like these in somewhere. I kind of like the hexagonal one myself.
    100632.jpg100633.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    al3d wrote: »
    Ask and you shall receive..:)

Sweet. Thanks a lot. It looks really cool from that angle. :D
  • Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    It puts me in mind of Forbidden Planet and cruiser C-45J(?). Me really likey.
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
    Forbidden planet vessel was the C-57-D. Later ripped off in LiS. Just like Robby was.
    Technically, Star Trek "ripped off" (borrowed) a lot from Forbidden Planet. In Forbidden Planet, the ship decelerates at 17:01 and the crew steps into a dematerializer to do it, which looks a lot like a transporter. The overall colors of the interior are similar and the "contact" party that goes to Dr. Morpheus' home consists of the Commander, First Officer and Doctor, the same trio that would later be on nearly every away team on Star Trek. There are other things, but it's late and I don't remember them all.

As for Lost in Space, the Jupiter 2 doesn't look that much like the C-57D and the robot looks nothing like Robby the Robot, so to say they "ripped off" anything is a dubious statement at best.
    The Jupiter 2 was a clear take on the C57D, right down to the astrogation dome with the model ship inside. They added a lot of blinky lights to make it appeal to kids. Also both ships had the light ring engine effect near the base.

So many people thought the b9 robot was robby that they had to put robby in an episode.

I suppose you could say the phasers in star trek were inspired by the blasters in FP as they both vaporized targets.

ANd I wasn't attacking anyone, just stating facts, hollywood lives on cannibalizing itself.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    ..and it's the future...so materials are strong..i could make them 50% smaller and they still could work..:)

ItA’s a possibility. :)
    I think that the structural systems on starships like this are not just materials, some of them might be forcefields in conduits that have strength no material object could have.
    ANd I wasn't attacking anyone, just stating facts, hollywood lives on cannibalizing itself.

Trust me, I certainly didn't see it as an attack, even though you are Judge Death. ;) (love the avatar, BTW) I was just stating some fun facts about the origins of things in ST and my opinions on the stuff in LiS. But, I also never watched LiS on TV, so I only know what I could find images of on Google. ;) Though, I did used to have a keychain LiS robot that talked when you pressed on his head. He still looks nothing like Robby to me, but I also have resources with which to verify that that weren't available in the '60s.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    the thinness is the best part. Really gives it a futuristic "impossible" look that speaks of a technoogy far in advance of our own.
    no they don't really...50's design is all about style and none symertric design and proportion..and it's the future...so materials are stong..i could make them 50% smaller and they still could work..:)

If I were you guys I would think of this as an art project, not a construction project. It's a premise not a theory.
  • Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    Saquist, I'd like your post if the software permitted it. 1950s was all about future science solving pesky little things like materials strengths and power to breach the light speed barrier without warping space lol. Looking forward to seeing more of al3d's beautiful 50s Enterprise
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
  • VK08VK083 Posts: 0Member
    Al,

You already know what I think of this one ;) But I'll say it publicly, it's looks great, can't wait to see her with the paintjob finished..