Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTOS Constitution Reboot (Finished)

• SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Hunter G wrote: »
    I finally finished the grid pattern on the engineering hull. There's not much else to say, so there you have it.

That is the first engineering hull I've ever liked from Reboot Constitution.
    The simplified grid is perfect.
    The neck base appears quite sturdy too.
    I don't agree with the torp launcher in the neck. (Earlier tech would want this is a more volumous location as it was in the original. But at least it looks good.
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    edited July 2021 #123
    Well glad to hear that this design works! I'll get to work adding the phasers and figuring out the shuttle bay.
    Post edited by Hunter G on
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    That's a very pretty piece! Nice job!
    edited May 2020 #125
    Thanks!

Speaking of something I wasn't talking about, is there a way to change the preview of your thread?
    Speaking of something I wasn't talking about, is there a way to change the preview of your thread?
    Change the attached image on the first post of the thread. :D

Since I host all my own images, I only attach one image to the first post in any given thread, which is the one I want to be the thumbnail, and I update it as the project develops.
    That's a good idea, thanks. BTW what image hosting website would you (or anyone else) recommend? I've considered transferring all my images to an external site, but I haven't found one that I like.
    That's a good idea, thanks. BTW what image hosting website would you (or anyone else) recommend? I've considered transferring all my images to an external site, but I haven't found one that I like.
    I host all of mine on my own server, which I think is the best way to go. ;)

But if that's outside your budget or the scope you're looking for, I'm rather fond of Dropbox. 2 GB of free space, with easy ways to upgrade that to 50 GB, all for just hosting images? And the flexibility to host other stuff there too? Hell yeah! YouTube/Vimeo/Dailymotion all make hosting videos easy, too. I've taken to hosting my videos through them, rather than locally on my server, because it's almost easier and vastly more accessible.
    edited May 2020 #129
    McC wrote: »
    I host all of mine on my own server, which I think is the best way to go. ;)

But if that's outside your budget or the scope you're looking for, I'm rather fond of Dropbox. 2 GB of free space, with easy ways to upgrade that to 50 GB, all for just hosting images? And the flexibility to host other stuff there too? Hell yeah! YouTube/Vimeo/Dailymotion all make hosting videos easy, too. I've taken to hosting my videos through them, rather than locally on my server, because it's almost easier and vastly more accessible.

Thanks for the advice. I just switched all of my pics to dropbox.

Speaking of, I modeled the pylons! :)

g1EIg7I.png
    JES
    Thanks for the advice. I just switched all of my pics to dropbox.

Speaking of, I modeled the pylons! :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15846346/pylons.png
    Nice! And very nice render, too!

Try using img instead of url to embed the image into your post.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I love the work on the secondary hull. Something I was wondering...since the saucer pylon looks so much like a ships bow, I wonder if anyone ever thought to place a ships figurehead around the torpedo tubes...
    publiusr wrote: »
    I love the work on the secondary hull. Something I was wondering...since the saucer pylon looks so much like a ships bow, I wonder if anyone ever thought to place a ships figurehead around the torpedo tubes...

Not sure what you mean by that. :| ????
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    He means like old Pirates of the Caribbean-type naval ships, where they usually have a mermaid or skeleton on the front of the ship.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    ^ or a shark face ala old fighter planes. Maybe more appropriate for a Mirror-universe version though...
    Oh ok. I don't think that would work for this, heh heh.
  • SylkRodeSylkRode0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello, Hunter! You may recognize me from deviantART - I had high praise for your model.
    I have input regarding the Bussard arrays. There is a very good reason for them to glow. The scoops operate by inducing intense electromagnetic fields to gather and compress the interstellar medium (hydrogen). This has the added effect of exciting the hydrogen atoms, which in turn generate the red orange glow we're all familiar with.

So, in short, keep the glow. In fact, I'd like to see it get more intense. I'd like to see something more along the lines of what Glenn Shatowski did on the 14th version of the nacelles for his Renegade project.
    SylkRode wrote: »
    Hello, Hunter! You may recognize me from deviantART - I had high praise for your model.
    I have input regarding the Bussard arrays. There is a very good reason for them to glow. The scoops operate by inducing intense electromagnetic fields to gather and compress the interstellar medium (hydrogen). This has the added effect of exciting the hydrogen atoms, which in turn generate the red orange glow we're all familiar with.

So, in short, keep the glow. In fact, I'd like to see it get more intense. I'd like to see something more along the lines of what Glenn Shatowski did on the 14th version of the nacelles for his Renegade project.

That's interesting considering that I'm turning the glow down because at the moment they are too bright IMO.
    I like them a lot, myself, but I'll hold off judgment 'till I see the results of your adjustment. But overall those Bussards are kickin'.
    I'll keep that in mind when I get to the bussards. I'll post two different renders so I can see which ones people like.
    edited May 2020 #140
    Ok, done with the basic shape of the nacelle. No details besides the bussards yet, so the renders are strictly the bussards. I got those out of the way before anything else. I rendered an image of them off , and one when they're on.

Off: Uc8Nzkb.png
    On: hMaC5pn.png
    JES
    That's a very sexy bussard
    Those are some sexy bussards
    Nice, very nice.
    Nice! I'd suggest it should be colourless when lacking the glow however. :)
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    Those are some sexy bussards
    SylkRode wrote: »
    Nice, very nice.
    Thanks again guys.
    Starscream wrote: »
    Nice! I'd suggest it should be colourless when lacking the glow however. :)
    Good point, I'll do that.

Meanwhile, I managed to get this render out of my computer. Sorry for the bad quality. I had to apply a noise reducer in photoshop, since I'm still trying to figure out a way to reduce noise in cycle, without increasing render time or the amount of samples. :argh:
    This one was rendered at 1000 and is still noisy with the photoshop filter! :help:

1.jpg
    Nah, it's spiffy. :)

I love that you don't go overboard with "warp field glows" "force field projectors" or other over-saturated coloured lighting nonsense. Certain other modellers round here (who shall go unnamed) seem to think the best approach is to light up their Trek ships like a bloody Christmas tree... :rolleyes:
    edited May 2020 #147
    Ok, it's been a while since my last update. Basically all I've got left is some minor details, the windows, and textures. :)

53f7lHc.png
    JES
    That's looking really nice, Hunter G!

I still think you should embed the image in the post with img tags rather than linking to the URL, though. :p
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Looks very nice! I also like a lot the quality of your renders.
    McC wrote: »
    I still think you should embed the image in the post with img tags rather than linking to the URL, though. :p
    I have to agree there.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio

I finally figured out what you meant by that. Thanks for the advice, it will make this thread more enjoyable! :)

Alrighty then, I have a few updates to post. First of all, I completely redid all the materials, to make the work flow a lot easier for stuff in the future, especially for animations. I also scrapped the torpedo launcher in the neck. I don't agree with the torpedo launcher in the neck.
    (Earlier tech would want this is a more volumous location as it was in the original. But at least it looks good.
    I agree with that point, so I stuck two tube in the general location that you see torpedoes come from in the original series.
    fore%20topedo%20launchers.png
    As for an aft launcher, well you know:
    aft%20topedo%20launchers.png
    I'm tempted to put another set of launchers on top of the saucer, and a pair on the bottom aft section of the engineering hull, since the current locations don't give much coverage. But I also don't want to turn the Connie into a warship. Your thoughts?
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    So good it makes me weep in envy...

As to photon torpedoes, the original design had them below the bridge. The movie version made sense in moving them to the engineering hull since photon torpedoes use anti matter and the AM is stored in the engineering hull. In the event of separation the tubes in the saucer would be useless wastes of space mostly.

I don't know if the ship needs to bristle with weapons, as apparently a TOS connie could devastate a planet with her 'mere' 6 phasers and 4 torpedo tubes, the weapons could be so powerful you don't need a lot. (Operation annihilate and a taste of armageddon both stated a connie could pretty much take out a world in terms of cities, installations or even all life if need be.)

I would remount the tubes into the rear hull unless you say they double as probe launchers or something similar.

The original design lacked rearward firepower, but realistically in space no one can really 'sneak up on you from behind' at least until the cloaking device was invented. The enterprise had pretty awesome sensors, it may have been felt rear firepower was not needed due to sensors keeping things from sneaking up on you from behind. After the cloak was developed they may have added some rear weapons. Hence the reliant, rear tubes on klingon battlecruisers, etc.