Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDark Saber's Jump into 3D

Dark SaberDark Saber1 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2013 in Work in Progress #1
I just downloaded sculptris from http://pixologic.com/sculptris/ the same guys that do Zbrush I believe. This is a free sculpting program. So this is my first stab playing around. I created this in about 30 minutes. I haven't figured out the painting part of the program yet, but from this first jump I think I will like this program.

Sean P. Tourangeau
('3-2-2013

I don't know how much 3D stuff I will get done but wanted to start a new thread with what I come up with. Feel free to give advice.
100431.jpg
Post edited by Dark Saber on

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's pretty cool so far, man. It's nice to see you doing 3D after all of these years of great 2D work. :)

Sculptris started out as an independent project, I believe by an individual programmer. However, since it rivals Zbrush in ability and was getting very popular, they bought the project. I don't know if the same guy still develops it or if they have a team on it now. It's definitely a cool program, though I've never been able to make much with it because I've never taken the proper time to mess with it.
  • Dark SaberDark Saber1 Posts: 0Member
    Here is my second Sculptis Sculpt of today and Alien Mask. Took about 45 minutes, will paint it later.

Sean P. Tourangeau
    3-2-2013
    100436.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Interesting and great. :)
    here are two concepts that I created tonight in sculptris.
    100448.jpg100449.jpg
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    Very interesting work, how steep is the learning curve?
    You're doing some really cool stuff so far. :)
    Here is tonight's Sculptris sculpt. About 2 hrs here on a Hammerhead Shark Man. I will more than likely build this guy further.

Sean P. Tourangeau
    3-4-13
    100458.jpg
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    took some zbrush in school.. not bad at it, just not been doing it for YEARS!.. need to pick it up again!

Its looking great my friend! lots better than my first trys! as for advice.. Practice practice, practice..! plenty of tuts out there to brush up on, just keep goin!
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    looks good for modelling organic objects but i do not know how it would perform when modelling ships. well done.
    No I will do ships in Maya once I start doing playing. I got the free 3 year student version. I may see if lightwave has a student version cheap as well.
    I also download DAZ but haven't touched it yet.
    Dark Saber wrote: »
    I may see if lightwave has a student version cheap as well.

$199, last time I looked (a few months ago.)

Daz isn't really for modeling, it's more for posing and rendering figures. I think you can mod figures with it but not much more. However, Hexagon (by Daz) is only $20 and will serve you better for modeling. We had a user a while back on here who was making some excellent ST ships in Hexagon.
    I have Hexagon from Daz as well I downloaded it last year when they were giving it away for free. I will have to play around and see what program I like the best. I liked Modo but my lic ran out and a new one cost more than I can afford right now since I am still out of work.
    Ah, I wasn't sure if you took advantage of that free Hexagon deal last year. Good deal. Even though it's only $20, that's still $20 you don't have to spend. :D I downloaded it but I never really used it and I think I finally deleted it. I got the full versions of Lightwave 9 & 10 from a dude on eBay really cheap last year, so I'm working on learning that since my old program (trueSpace) went defunct about 4 years ago.
    Here is tonight's Sculptris creation. I call it "Invasion". The creature took me about an hour to create and another 20 minutes in Photoshop making the final composite image.

Sean P. Tourangeau
    3-5-2013
    100479.jpg
    Well the last images were just playing around. This is WIP shot of my first really serious piece I will be doing in Sculptris. I wanted to sculpt a human male Base figure to have on file to adjust and buld when I need it. Right now it is just a torso. I have put maybe an hour into it so far. More to come as I sculpt.

Sean P. Tourangeau
    3-6-2013
    Pixology Sculptris
    100493.jpg
    Here is a crustacean creature scult in Sculptris that I did tonight. Kinda fun exploration

Sean P. Tourangeau
    3-25-13
    100848.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    looks interesting. :)
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Scary and pretty imaginative, too!
  • NarsilNarsil0 Posts: 0Member
    Love your hammerhead shark man!
  • Dark AngelDark Angel331 Posts: 1Member
    Oh my spirits!

I can't believe it!

Dark Saber now in 3D! Dream come true!

You know what that means.... Dark Mirror Universe 3D! Going to be wicked!
    Still just playing around with box modeling in Maya before I start going through some Tutorials that Ellery Connell (Masterjedi) sent me since he teaches Maya for a living. This will be a fun learning experience.

Sean P. Tourangeau
    6-30-2013
    Auto Desk Maya 2013
    102165.jpg
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Can I get some of Tutorials?
    More Playing around with the box model Not sure if I will keep it and finish it but having some fun.

Sean P. Tourangeau
    6-30-2013
    Autodesk Maya 2013
    102171.jpg
    Two Sculptris Aliens from tonight. One is my take on the Green Lantern Kilowog.
    103508.jpg103509.jpg
    Kilowog is cool. :) Great work on both of those. :thumb: