Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

why are star trek federation ships so popular on here?

spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
edited March 2013 in General Discussion #1
no criticism but i find that a rather large proportion of ships modelled/mentioned on this site are star trek ships of federation types, and they all look pretty much the same. a saucer shaped bridge, some form of small body and a pair of nacelles. why is this design so popular?
Post edited by spacefighter on

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Because that's the stock Federation design. It was the first kind of vessel anyone saw from Trek, it's the oldest design made, and it's a fairly distinguishable design....
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    It's a deceptively simple iconic design... Very adaptable - yet rarely done well. It's a challenge.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    rojren wrote: »
    It's a deceptively simple iconic design... Very adaptable - yet rarely done well. It's a challenge.

Eggzactly! :thumb:
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Because it's what people like. Since you're talking about a design that's endured for 46+ years, I think it's safe to say that a lot of people feel that way. Probably the same reason Star Destroyers are such a popular subject matter among Star Wars modelers. When you think about it, they're basically pizza slices. (but really cool pizza slices) Sure, the ST Fed designs are fairly simple, but they're full of subtle nuances and tricky little bits that seem simple until you go to model them. Also, because the Federation is the "hero" faction from the various series, there are more Fed ship designs out there and a lot more references for those than there are for the various alien ships, especially the ones that have only been seen in one or a few episodes. And, as we all know, the more references you have, the better.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    i can see what you mean but personally i always preferred the klingon and romulan designs, i just think they look more interesting.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I love Klingon ships. And don't even get me started on the original Romulan BOP and the Warbirds from TNG. Those are fantastic. :D I eventually need to do some Klingon and Romulan ships. I did a Romulan ship years ago, but I haven't done one since then.
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Why do so many painters paint bowls of fruit?

Trek ships are a common touchstone that many people are familiar with, with the most visible Trek designs being those of the Federation thanks to the shows following Federation crews. These are the designs people fall in love with most often and are thus the ones they are most enthusiastic to model.

I also think there may be an aspect of subculture motivating some of it. Trek has/had a huge roleplaying presence, especially in the late 90s/early 00s, and many of those groups centered on fan-created Federation ships and crews, emulating the shows. That's where I came from, at least. :D It's the reason my Ambassador model is named Trafalgar; I used to run a game of the same name.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    i can see what you mean but personally i always preferred the klingon and romulan designs, i just think they look more interesting.

Those designs are also far more UNrealistic in comparison to their human counterparts. They are more art pieces than ships. The Klingon Bird of Prey was design to look like a line backer. The Dominion attack ship look like an insect. While the Federation ship (at least before the late 24th Century are design as tall ship of Pride and Strength.

Trek has also deduced a lore behind that saucer and nacelle design that justifies it's continuance. Apparently a saucer or round shape conduct fields better than sharper edges which requires more power to stabilize, particularly at high speeds.

Ultimately though it's homage to Matt Jeffereies original design of the USS Enterprise form the original series. A ship that was not designed like a rocket with fins and conventional engines but rather as a starship, a vessel, which was unprecedented at the time taking our story beyond the speed of light. Trek is one of the oldest SCIENCE FICTION GENRES. It hasn't always been handled well but it's impression and it's heart is much respected everywhere and somehow without being quite as popular as others, it has touch generation after generation of all sorts of peoples, Engineers, Scientist, Teachers, and children young and old. Trek has literally been the symbol of imagination and exploration for half a century and it's likely to continue.