Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PhotographyMy Tilt-Shift Images

BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,564Member
edited March 2013 in Finished Work #1
Recently, I've become interested in the tilt-shift technique, where everything is made to look as if it is in miniature form. So, I decided to give it a go of my own, using Photoshop CS2. Below is one image to start with. IDK who took the original photo, but it was found via Google.

F35tiltshift_CR.jpg
100380.jpg
Post edited by BolianAdmiral on

• ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Pretty cool shot. Nicely done. :)

When done right, it's a pretty amazing effect. It's all the more stunning in video, I find, as you get the scale model look, but with all the comings and goings of real life. :cool:
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Great photo, but I thought tilt-shifting was done in-camera with a tilt-shift lens. Did Photoshop come up with a tilt-shift filter or effect? Some cameras also have a 'toy' effect built in.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Very impressive.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Great photo, but I thought tilt-shifting was done in-camera with a tilt-shift lens. Did Photoshop come up with a tilt-shift filter or effect? Some cameras also have a 'toy' effect built in.
    you basically take an in-focus image and do a post processes depth blur using a gradient as the depth matte, it gives you similar results
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Interesting, and turned out nicely
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    very interesting image.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,564Member
    IRML wrote: »
    you basically take an in-focus image and do a post processes depth blur using a gradient as the depth matte, it gives you similar results

Thanks, all... glad you like it! IRML is right, you can do it all in post via Photoshop, using a reflected gradient and lens blur. After that, all you do is adjust the contrast and saturation. There are tilt-shift lenses for both digital and analog cameras, but they are very expensive, so Photoshop is an easy and cheap way to do it without one of those lenses.
    Here's one for tonight... photo by Airliners.net.

777fact_CR.jpg
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow that is one interesting technique. It is quite fun to see that this is possible
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Or, you can just use this website and point it at a photo. :)
    http://tiltshiftmaker.com/

Here's one I just did in a few seconds flat. :)

times-square-by-australian-photo-tiltshift.jpg

Quality of the bokeh is horrible - there's lots of settings you can play with on the site if you spend more time. :)
    100403.jpg
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    IRML wrote: »

Thanks for the info.
    Comco, that's pretty nice... thanks for the info! I kind of like the challenge of doing it myself, though... it allows me to learn. NYC images always seem to look best in tilt-shift, and I think I know why... it's because the reflections from all those Midtown lights on the cars produce a "super-glossy" effect that when coupled with the increased contrast and saturation, really helps sell the idea of the cars as small toys.
    Here's a new one for tonight. IDK who took the photo... again found via Google.

GLts_CR.jpg
    One more for the night... original photo by Airliners.net.

DMABcr.jpg