Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTMP Helios refit

David LindsayDavid Lindsay1 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2013 in Work in Progress #1
I haven't done any modeling for a long time, but thought I'd get back in to it again with a refit of one of the few models I've actually finished!

The Helios was a TOS era ship that I've wanted to refit in the TMP style. Just started it, I've got the saucer shaped and the secondary hull placed. Not quite sure at the moment where I'm going to put the impulse engines and the shuttle bay. Kinda want to put both at the back of the secondary hull but theres not going to be enough room back there. Could put the impulse engines on the back of the saucer on either side of the secondary hull kinda like the Enterprise D had on its saucer, but not sure if thats in keeping with the TMP era style. Any ideas?
99682.jpg
99683.jpg
99684.jpg
Post edited by David Lindsay on
Tagged:

• sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    Take an Excelsior Primary hull, add nacelles to the impulse housing, done.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,564Member
    I like this little ship! Nice work!
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I like the original design, so it'll be interesting to see the TMP refit.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • Soran77Soran770 Posts: 0Member
    That is an awesome design! I look forward to seeing the refit! :thumb:
  • David LindsayDavid Lindsay1 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks Guys! Spent some time merging the two parts of the hull and smothing a pile of edges. Took ages but doing it now should make it easier later. I hope.

Make the temporary nacelles more TMP like as well.

HeliosV2.004.jpg
    99728.jpg
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    For a TOS design remember that TOS ships often had a dish antenna like the enterprise had. It was in the TMP version we got the glowing light array.

I'd put a radar dish type deflector/sensor under it.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Nice ship! Curious to see how the upgrade turns out! :)
    I've done some work on a bridge for her, with some temporary colours to help get an idea of the shapes. Not sure if I'll add any model any more detail to it or leave any more for the textures.

HeliosV2.005.jpgHeliosV2.006.jpg
    99769.jpg99770.jpg
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    I'd say that looks decent enough depending on how much detail overall you are going to go for and whether you are happy to come back to bits later. What is the little bobble on the back? jars the image for me a little. That's an entirely personal taste opinion comment mind... :D
    Dont really want to go crazy on the detail, small details can be covered in the textures when I get the modeling finished. The bobble is a navigation light, you can see it on the enterprise a studio model, but its a bulb so its transparent. Have to think about if its worth having it modeled like this.

Added the bit bellow the bridge tonight and started work on a shuttle bay.
    99813.jpg99814.jpg99815.jpg
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Looking good, I like the position of the shuttlebay.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    This is looking good so far. :)
    No big changes today, just some simple trek style grebbles. I'm still undecided if I should model the shuttle properly while I'm doing this ship, looks like an awkward shape to get right.
    99870.jpg99871.jpg
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Nice work. I like the shuttlebay area and I think you should model the interior at some point, but for now I'd say to just press on with the exterior. :thumb:
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Nice!!
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Looking at your scale "people" I'm not so sure the size of the bridge module will work. Based on my own limited research and McC's workings in post #180 of this thread suggesting a size of 2.4-2.5m it looks like your airlock and, therefore, your bridge module should be increased in size. Maybe 115-125% of the current size? Still great modeling though. :thumb:
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    As I said you over m-cgi forums, the refit is looking very good. Go ahead, donA’t stop now ;)
    Juvat wrote: »
    Looking at your scale "people" I'm not so sure the size of the bridge module will work. Based on my own limited research and McC's workings in post #180 of this thread suggesting a size of 2.4-2.5m it looks like your airlock and, therefore, your bridge module should be increased in size. Maybe 115-125% of the current size? Still great modeling though. :thumb:

I think you might be right, that port has been anoying me for a while as it looked a bit too small. Will come back to it and have a play around with bridge sizes later. Leaning towards just increasing the size of the bridge as it looks a bit small in general where it is at the moment.

Tonight was spend playing with some impulse engines (and some go-faster fins). Next will be doing some of the details on and around the engines.
    100001.jpg100002.jpg
  • ttabascottabasco0 Posts: 0Member
    The shape of the ship reminds me of the 'mystery' ship crashing into SF bay in the Star Trek Into Darnkess trailers. Maybe try a JJ-variant as well.