Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Technical Issue: Automatic Boot, Shutdown, Video start

psychopsycho0 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2013 in General Discussion #1
Hey guys, long time no see!

I have a little problem, but i'm sure, someone here can help:

For an exhibition i need my computer to boot automatically every morning and start a video loop in full screen. Every evening it should also shut down automatically.

I need this, because i have a special industrial screen which won't work with any dvd-player (although i have some players with vga) and i can't let the computer run over night because of fire safety reasons.

I have both a macbook with 10.4.11 and a win7-laptop, i could also install linux on the laptop, whatever works...

any ideas?
Post edited by psycho on

• CoolhandCoolhand286 Mountain LairPosts: 1,295Member
    I'm sure there's lots of ways you could do it

http://lifehacker.com/5831504/how-can-i-start-and-shut-down-my-computer-automatically-every-morning

if its actually got to be properly off, like as opposed to sleep mode, ie not having any power running through it at all, you'll need to use an AC outlet timer switch - the type you use to turn lights on and off automatically to put off burglars when you're on holiday.

Then you need to make your video player start up on boot, again i'm sure there's lots of ways to do that if you google it, you should be able to easily tell windows to run whatever app you want on startup.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,867Administrator
    It's been a while, hasn't it. :)

You can use Task Scheduler in Windows to shut down the computer at a certain time each day. Probably works for playing the video as soon as it boots up as well. For turning on each morning, most computers probably have a BIOS setting in the Power options for turning on at a certain time. It's usually called turn on/resume by alarm or something similar.

[edit]: Pretty sure you can schedule OSX to start and shut down at a certain time using Energy Saver in the Preferences. Not sure how to play a video automatically though, but can't imagine it would be too difficult to set up.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • psychopsycho0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks guys, was pretty easy on both mac and windows, but still there's a problem which i can't solve on the windows laptop and where i'll need a 3rd party program on the mac: i need it to start up and shut down at different times for each day. Theres an app for mac that makes this possible (the dssw power manager), but it's a bit too expensive for my use... gotta take a look for something cheaper (i would pay for it, but not 50 bucks).