Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTOS Constitution Reboot (Finished)

• Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    Thanks guys! Unfortunately I don't have the best graphics card. I took my computer an hour to render each image at 600 samples. I did solve my overheating problem though. It just needed to clean it out. So now I can actually do it with my computer, it just takes time. :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Be happy you have a computer. I bought my first one when I was 19. :p It was a Pentium II equivalent with 64MB RAM and a 4MB non-3D GPU and Windows 98. I freakin' loved that thing. ;)
    Ok, I need some opinions. Should I cut a grid into the saucer or no? I personally think it would look cool.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Depends on the desired effect.

Some of the best ones I've seen over the years are the ones that will only be identifiable if a specular reflection hits the surface at the right angle.
    Remember, most of the detailing on the original model was so faint, it won't even register on a conscious level unless you decide to mess with the image adjustment settings: http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?p=3850314
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Were it merely a question of, "Should I add grids to indicate the ship is made of multiple components?" I would say no. You can do that much more readily with texturing, shown to great effect on the original studio model of the refit Enterprise. Through paint alone, we got a clear sense of a large structure comprised of many smaller pieces of metal (or more exotic material).

However, the grids in Federation ship hulls actually serve a purpose: they're part of the shield projection mechanism. If you care about adhering to that fictional design element, then yes, you should add them. :D If you don't, it becomes a purely aesthetic question.
    Thanks for the opinions. I think I am going to model the grids.
    I've decided that I'm not going to cut in the grid lines, seeing as they will be the shield emitters, they don't really have to be indentations in the hull. (reference: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Deflector_shield).
    edited May 2020 #99
    Ok, so I modeled the grids. After I started rendering it, I thought that some of the lines stuck out more than others, but when I checked the model I realized that it just had to do with the light direction. Anyway, here's that render.

5xQdH6F.png
    Post edited by Hunter G on
    JES
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    That, sir, is a damned cool saucer!
    Raised shield grids, eh? Interesting!
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Interesting grid alignment, I like it.
    And like McC said, you don't see raised shield grids every day. :lol:
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    What's funny is that it was more of a hassle then the teqnique I use for cutting them in. Heh heh.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    But they might make more sense for Early Trek ship before truly integrating forcefield tech into a single hull ship was possible.
    edited May 2020 #105
    Saquist wrote: »
    But they might make more sense for Early Trek ship before truly integrating forcefield tech into a single hull ship was possible.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. And to explain NX-01 not having protruding grids, they didn't have shields back then ;)

Anyway, I finished the bottom lines. I won't be cutting the windows or airlocks until I finish the interconnect and the secondary hull BTW

MEqtPOq.jpg
    JES
    edited May 2020 #106
    I added some very basic materials to get a better idea of what the finished product will look like.

6vlDdoD.jpg
    JES
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    You're rather good at the modeling, sir. Impressive results.
    edited May 2020 #108
    Thank you !

I started on the secondary hull:

9jQTB6D.png

BTW, the site says that there are over 200 active users online right now. No wonder it's so slow! I wonder what the occasion is.
    JES
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    Hunter G wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Unfortunately I don't have the best graphics card. I took my computer an hour to render each image at 600 samples. I did solve my overheating problem though. It just needed to clean it out. So now I can actually do it with my computer, it just takes time. :)

I can personally recommend this one as a fairly low cost one that will solve your problems. It's good AND relatively cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00942TJXY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01

I got it fr christmas and it let me render a cycles scene that took well over an hour previously in about 7 minutes.
    I can personally recommend this one as a fairly low cost one that will solve your problems. It's good AND relatively cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00942TJXY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01

I got it fr christmas and it let me render a cycles scene that took well over an hour previously in about 7 minutes.

Wow, that looks awesome! I've put it on the list of things to save up for. :)
    Secondary hull is coming together very nicely. Is that all subsurf? The lines are delightfully clean! Would love to see a wire of the Optimized Display version, if you're amenable.
    edited May 2020 #112
    McC wrote: »
    Secondary hull is coming together very nicely. Is that all subsurf? The lines are delightfully clean! Would love to see a wire of the Optimized Display version, if you're amenable.

Yes it is a subsurf, what makes my whole model possible. Without it, the model look hideous. ;)

here's some screenshots:

cdIzlgf.jpg
    uHBJhjJ.jpg
    13M4h2r.jpg
    FccGVnc.jpg
    JES
  • saulteniansaultenian331 Posts: 0Member
    I added some very basic materials to get a better idea of what the finished product will look like.

Beware the recessed phaser banks sizzling your beautiful hull...:)
    saultenian wrote: »
    Beware the recessed phaser banks sizzling your beautiful hull...:)

I'll make sure that doesn't happen! :)

BTW, I have a question for anyone who can answer. How exactly to the original Enterprise shuttlebay doors open? I don't want to start modeling them until I know.
    Yes it is a subsurf, what makes my whole model possible. Without it, the model look hideous. ;)
    Well, yes, I knew that a lot of it was subsurf. ;) I wasn't certain whether the whole thing was still subsurf, or if you had already applied the subsurf and done manual polygon detailing for some of those bits. Some things are substantially easier that way. But it looks like your whole mesh is still subsurf, so I'm quite impressed you've managed to keep it so clean!
    BTW, I have a question for anyone who can answer. How exactly to the original Enterprise shuttlebay doors open? I don't want to start modeling them until I know.
    The original Constitution uses an almost-perfect hemispherical door shape. The outer-most segment slides over the next segment, as in the refit opening sequence in Star Trek 5, and the beacon light above the shuttlebay also serves as its axis of rotation.
    Detail I do model after the subsurf are the windows as well as any miniature details that I see fit to model. That's why I make sure to model everything else before I apply the modifier.
    Now as far as the shuttle doors go, I now have a good picture in my head of how they work. After McC's description I did some more research. I'm going to make the doors look like one smooth piece, but when they open, the first segment will slide out, and then rotate, followed by the rest. If that doesn't make sense, it will once you see it.
    Detail I do model after the subsurf are the windows as well as any miniature details that I see fit to model. That's why I make sure to model everything else before I apply the modifier.
    I commend your patience and your smooth subsurf lines! :D
    Now as far as the shuttle doors go, I now have a good picture in my head of how they work. After McC's description I did some more research. I'm going to make the doors look like one smooth piece, but when they open, the first segment will slide out, and then rotate, followed by the rest. If that doesn't make sense, it will once you see it.
    That does indeed make sense! Good luck! :thumb: Clamshell doors are hard!
    I started on the engineering hull shield grids. It's going to take a while, but in a WIP I'm supposed to post my progress right?

Well, since this is kind of a pointless post, I'm going to change topics a little bit:

Once I finish the modeling and texturing, I'm going to need some major help. I will be doing lots of animations with this and other Star Trek models I finish later. I won't know for certain what I'll need help with until it gets to that point, but the one thing I know I need is a renderfarm. I will never finish rendering the animations I have in mind (because of their complexity) with mine and the schools computer alone. So If you are willing to help, awesome! Unfortunaty, I cant pay for anything, since I don't have a job, so just be aware of that before you offer.
    edited May 2020 #119
    I finally finished the grid pattern on the engineering hull. There's not much else to say, so there you have it.

7maDZwI.jpg
    JES
    Hot damn! That all still subsurf? If so, your patience with subsurf far exceeds mine! :D
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    That secondary hull shape is beautiful. So much better than the J.J. Abrams secondary hull.