Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Triton

2»

• SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    If there ever would be a separate department from normal command security and sciences it would be Intelligence and I suppose black or Grey would be a good choise for that.
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    If there ever would be a separate department from normal command security and sciences it would be Intelligence and I suppose black or Grey would be a good choise for that.
    If I remember right, the general "fanon" convention has been for green to represent Starfleet marines. Of course, you can use or ignore that as you please. ;)
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Yeah, in my head I was thinking Starfleet Intelligence Observer, hence gray or slate purple.

I can see dark green as Starfleet Marines but now that I'm more loose with my Trek-ness I would just do some sort of new design with a little Trek edge. The Titan marine uniforms I had in my head were a little more Mass Effect-y with some interesting texture and helmets, which I should do a mock-up of.
    Yeah, in my head I was thinking Starfleet Intelligence Observer, hence gray or slate purple.

I can see dark green as Starfleet Marines but now that I'm more loose with my Trek-ness I would just do some sort of new design with a little Trek edge. The Titan marine uniforms I had in my head were a little more Mass Effect-y with some interesting texture and helmets, which I should do a mock-up of.

I had a feeling that's what you were going for.
    I think Marines would be best in Tan and Black than Green. (personally) Tan was is "brown's" better half and I think it would look good in the Star Fleet motif.
    Depends on the planet, I imagine. Though the idea of having troops on standby on a Starfleet ship doesn't ring right with me (same with the MACOs). I imagine that the people wearing the combat uniforms in the field would be security officers on the ship.
    Depends on the planet, I imagine. Though the idea of having troops on standby on a Starfleet ship doesn't ring right with me (same with the MACOs). I imagine that the people wearing the combat uniforms in the field would be security officers on the ship.

I meant Tan as a uniform color. Fatigues usually toned for the environment...white grey and black, tan/green, Dark Green light Green and brown for Forrest cover.

I will say this though...If Star Fleet did see fit to create Marines (And I think that's likely for early star fleet than the modern Star Fleet) then they would probably carry on the tradition of being the Elite of the major departments of Star Fleet. Command marines, Engineering and Security Marines just as there are structured today.

I can see them doing Starship duty but a Marines life is about drill, practice, action and drill some more. That's how they stay at peak form. Starship security would be in great hands but from what I've seen on Trek...Starship security are more like Bus Boys than Peak Form.

I didn't like ENT but that's one thing they got right. I felt Star Fleet should have been very every military at that time.
  • AndymatorAndymator0 Posts: 0Member
    Those look really good. :)

Yeah, a lot of fan efforts are going with green screen. Of course, the first and probably most famous/notorious was Star Trek: Hidden Frontier. It was all green screen with props and you could tell because everybody had green outlines around them. ;) Fortunately, technology that people can afford is getting much better these days.

That's what my first reaction was to the greenscreen idea as well. I was really resistant to the idea until we put together some test footage and it looked awesome. I can't release the test stuff as it uses some assets that I don't own, but maybe soon I'll get to put together some screen tests of our costuming.

Now, greenscreen-- that tech has gotten a lot better but I still can't help but think of Hidden Frontier. I would totally suggest that you consider doing cgi storyboards with lighting, so that you can light the actors the right way to matte them in, so you can have the sun shine through the windows like you have above (and of course, tracking dots and a high-res live-action input).

Might I also suggest you consider making some CG officers for the background, walking past in the corridors and so on.

We're going to do some crazy stuff that's going to blow you away. Check out this little teaser to give you good idea of how we're boarding this thing out.

SBTease.jpg
    I like the First Contact uniforms, they're fine for DS9 and the movies, but I also love the TNG uniforms and if there was ever a time to bring them out, this would be it, with the blu-rays coming out and the fans falling back in love with the series since we can see it so clearly.

Now, for your Starfleet observer, typically when you have an outsider in Star Trek they rock some sort of skintight outfit, but since she's also Starfleet, she'd need a uniform, so I was thinking maybe a colour we'd never seen before.

We're not using the First Contact uniforms at all in the film, the Triton standard duty uniform is the early DS9 / Voyager / Generations version. The story takes place just after TNG season 7, so that's the kind of the aesthetic we're shooting for. It should be noted that a small portion of the film takes place on another starship, the USS Alexandria, and it's all TNG on that one!

Devon's uniform has already been started by our costumer, a late-TNG one-piece, like what Troi wore in season 6 and 7, only red instead of blue. A lot of different factors drove that decision, including getting to re-use the costume again, which we wouldn't be able to do if it were grey or some other unique design. We're doing this thing on the most miniscule of budgets, so every penny counts!
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    well, starship security in the books are alot more hard core.. less buss boy..

for me.. Macos/marines would be more ground based, and an "air force" for shuttles/fighters that would be along for the ride on star fleet ships.. ( as usuall for marines) to transport them to starbases, or listening post, or frontline duty and where security is responsible for ship/away team security..

don't know.. :)

EDIT: Nice storyboard! good luck on it!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Andymator wrote: »
    That's what my first reaction was to the greenscreen idea as well. I was really resistant to the idea until we put together some test footage and it looked awesome. I can't release the test stuff as it uses some assets that I don't own, but maybe soon I'll get to put together some screen tests of our costuming.

I've seen some brilliant fan stuff done with green screens. It all depends on who's doing it and what they're using. ;)
    That's nice...cause every Green Screen I've seen done for Odyssey was just awful. Awful being...No closeups limited angles and extremely static with camera motion. I think Phoenix was better though.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    That's nice...cause every Green Screen I've seen done for Odyssey was just awful. Awful being...No closeups limited angles and extremely static with camera motion. I think Phoenix was better though.
    Most fan productions don't use camera tracking and don't blend the lighting/color of the live action footage with the virtual footage. That's why it usually looks so "wrong".
    I've never been proud of my old Odyssey sickbay and observation lounge either. The fact that my PC was dying on me back then (random bluescreens) and that team-internal stuff put me off of more support for the project after buying a new rig, are my part of the blame for the end result in Odyssey. Don't know who did the nuclear color scheme retexture of the sickbay for Helena.
    Considering how those shows were done and what there was to work with, I'd say y'all did good. Is it the best? Of course not. But, they produced some quality episodes with a tiny budget and lots of volunteers. ;)

You mean Star Trek: Phoenix? Yes, that's one great example of fan film green screen done well. They do some really nice GS work on New Voyages/Phase II also.

If you didn't like Odyssey, you should see early Hidden Frontier. I'm not going to say bad things because it was what they could do with what they had, (and I don't know if I could do better) but let's just say that things improved a LOT by the time Odyssey came around.
    What really destroys greenscreen for me is when someone has to interact with the surroundings, especially walking around, it doesn't matter how great the production is, a little jiggle between the people plate and the background ALWAYS makes its way through.
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Most fan productions don't use camera tracking and don't blend the lighting/color of the live action footage with the virtual footage. That's why it usually looks so "wrong".
    I've never been proud of my old Odyssey sickbay and observation lounge either. The fact that my PC was dying on me back then (random bluescreens) and that team-internal stuff put me off of more support for the project after buying a new rig, are my part of the blame for the end result in Odyssey. Don't know who did the nuclear color scheme retexture of the sickbay for Helena.

I can always appreciate an effort.
    For some reason with the level of effects in CGI department I expected the Greenscreen work to be good in Phase II. But I just saw Red Sand for Mass Effect and it simply puts everything to shame I've seen before. CGI omni tools interacting with peoples arm. Heads Up Displays...all very well executed...not perfect but more than convincing. I wanted Trek to cross that border first.

I guess that's one of complaints about the Trek universe. It's supposed to be the future but compared with now it's more like the present. Mass Effect is using integrated holograms, personal forcefields and sophisticated AI, Mech, drones, Non bipedal species.

I really hope that a Trek Fan series attempts correct these over sights that were limits to TV production budget and realize it's not just about space ships and aliens that makes it a future.
    TRITONWIP2.jpg

I haven't had a lot of time to get much done on her, but here's what she's looking like right now... Also, this render is a tad higher res.
    She's looking awesome so far. :D
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Indeed, very nice!
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Thanks for the hi rez! Looks Beautiful!
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    You're doing a beautiful job with this ship... so far this is the best-looking CGI Akira I've seen. Keep with it!
    Thanks guys. Everything about this ship is turning out to be harder than it looks heheheh.
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Great ship. This is actually one of my favourite ships design in ST universe. I was very impress when I saw it in action in First Contact. I wish we would have a tv series with that kind of design...I don't remeber the name of that ship, but your is in a similar style.
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    That's a very nice looking mesh you got there.
    Good work so far.