Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Star Trek StarShip Design for Custom Model Project

turtleturtle0 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2013 in Looking for... #1
Hello... Just been thinking of building a large scale model of a Star trek ship over the years I had thought of just making one of the existing ships from the franchise.

I had mostly thought of the Enterprise E at a scale that would present a 4 to 5 foot model.
mostly my building materials would be engineered more towards a large paper model, using form board and with thoughts of casting it to make sorts of a model kit out of stronger materials like a plastic or resin.

I have some practice with this technique but only on a simple and small model
If anyone has other ideas of achieving this that would be great!

Now on to the General help like i said above i had thoughts of building the Enterprise E but thought if someone would want to design a unique ship for me that i could use.

As for guide lines it would be really up to you what this ship would looks like
some things to note
*must not be a kit-bash unless it looks really good lol
*Federation in design unless i can be convinced for another race
*Form TNG era and up
*Scale of the ship would be around the 400 to 700meter mark
*It can be drawn on paper or modeled in 3d
*A out line of the ship will also work as we can work on the details
*some info on your ship would be nice as well

I would prefer you to post in this thread as i can get input form others on your designs to help me decide which one to pick.
would probable pick a few then see which ones others like the best out of them.

I would say the wining design would get a model but we would have to see how the build goes before i decide that but if every thing works out i would be more than happy to make another.

Probable some other things but can't think of any right now
so I hope to see some great designs over the next week or two as i really would like to get a move on with this project.
Post edited by turtle on
Tagged:

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    so you want a design for a cool 400-700 metre ship that is modelled physically without too much difficulty. does it have to look similar to star trek ships or with those blasted engines on the ends of fins and a disc for the bridge or can it be more interesting, something like a romulan warbird crossed with the sulaco crossed with some other battlecruiser type designs and some alien ships.
  • turtleturtle0 Posts: 0Member
    so you want a design for a cool 400-700 metre ship that is modelled physically without too much difficulty. does it have to look similar to star trek ships or with those blasted engines on the ends of fins and a disc for the bridge or can it be more interesting, something like a romulan warbird crossed with the sulaco crossed with some other battlecruiser type designs and some alien ships.

yes I would prefer a Star Trek ship and i just looking for a design so that i could build a physical model of it

In the past i have made one out of balsa wood, a sorts of build up like a model plane would be and it was around the 1:350 scale mark but that wasn't cheep at the time so i had did a test with a small paper model i used card stock and it held up great with a casting.
    but for a larger model I mostly use the paper or form board build up then because it is a master i would use odds and ends to build up the detail. Much like model makers would have done in the past, where they would use a firer glass in the model i would use either a plastic or resin is my idea, but then again fiber glass is getting cheaper so i might look in to that

Other design may be interesting as well for future builds but for now leaning towards a Star Trek ship
    But thanks for asking and if you would like to come up with something, i may use it in the further
  • turtleturtle0 Posts: 0Member
    So to get what i mean as a build up model like this balsa wood build up 1:350 voyage

I know strick guide lines but if anyone would like to suggest building an existing ship,
    i always thought of doing the Enterprise E