Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DHailfire Droid

CWinnCWinn0 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Hi everybody! I just signed up on the site and wanted to share my Hailfire Droid project. It is very far along but I don't call it finished yet so I'm posting it here. Thanks for looking!
99614.jpg
99615.jpg
99616.jpg
99617.jpg
Post edited by CWinn on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Welcome to the site. :)

That's a great looking mesh and textures.
  • CWinnCWinn0 Posts: 0Member
    Here's a couple without textures.
    99618.jpg99619.jpg
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Definitely good texturing going on, a nice balance of weathering on the edges.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    nice and detailed, good rust textures.
  • UK-BladeUK-Blade331 Posts: 0Member
    Welcome

Great mesh and fantastic texturing....:thumb:

You'll have to give us some pointers on the texturing....
    UK-Blade wrote: »

You'll have to give us some pointers on the texturing....

To breakup the perfectness of a solid color for the paint I overlaid a concrete texture at a very low transparency. Then I duplicated and color adjusted that concrete image, not in any special way but just for some variation, and rotated it and reduced the transparency. That gave me a cool dirty unevenness for the painted area. As for the scratches I spent a while playing around with various free photoshop grunge brushes I found on the internet. And experimented with brush settings to create variations in how the brushes are applied.

This is the second attempt to texture this model. I learned so much from experimenting on it that at a certain point I couldn't stand what I had done already and had to start over!
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Welcome aboard!

ItA’s an excellent work! Model and textures does to look very good.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice work. Welcome here.
    Thanks for your responses!

I darkened the grunge image I had over the paint color. I thought that it wasn't looking dirty enough in my renders. And I started playing around with radiosity and some kind of simple scene.
    100074.jpg100075.jpg100076.jpg
    good renders, excellent dirt texture but the ground in the image does repeat a bit much. i like the sort of "cylon eye" on the front of the pod which has the rockets attached to it, the whole model overall is very good but might look a bit better if the "pod" was somewhat bigger. the model looks better in the latest images but the first images you posted on this thread look better overall, i am not sure why. keep up the excellent work, nice trick for doing the texturing as well.
    You may be right about making the center section larger. I reexamined my movie reference photos. I had been basing it's proportions on the designers concept illustration:

http://static.squarespace.com/static/50993219e4b0d2694880ff68/5099329fe4b0babc9253274a/5099329fe4b0babc92532762/1317654881027/
    Enlarged the center pod.
    100101.jpg
    looks better now. well done.
    I'm still experimenting with the sand. It was on a desert like world in the movie so I wanted to keep in in an environment that looked right to me. I found a great Node combo in a message board for the sand in these latest images.
    100104.jpg100105.jpg