Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DKlingon D7 Project

• StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    SheA’s a beauty! :thumb:
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Looks pretty amazing Brandenberg!
  • vnm51vnm512 Posts: 0Member
    Absolutely stunning work Brandenberg!
    Happy New Year!
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Happy New Year to all and thanks. Here's a bit of trivia. This is the first year since 1987 where all the numbers in the full 4 digit year, are different numbers. 2013 (it will now be that way till 2020).

On the model: doubleofive pointed out that the actual color of the movie model was green. He is right, yet I kind of liked the festive Klingon grey of the movie model. I am pretty happy with the greenish grey compromise I struck. It's like the movie model but subdued in the dark of space. Cheers.:D

Edit: Oh and at the moment I am having trouble getting a specular map to work right. I wanted to have a subtle hint of panels but I keep getting a very obvious color change like the map is taking over. I've done this before successfully - not sure what I'm doing wrong now. Lightwave BTW.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    The gunmetal gray is actually great, maybe just some slight green tints on the internal/external lights to pacify the whiners.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    can we get larger?
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Amazing work indeed man. :thumb:
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Thanks for your kind comments. By Larger, do you mean closeups?

I've been spending time on the engine detail. Also refined the plating and color. That Green/grey.

Removed image to make room:
  • jrhotteljrhottel9 Posts: 0Member
    Just beautiful!
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Looking good, man!
    Last night I viewed TMP in Blue Ray and realized that there is a second model highly detailing the front of the TMP engine. Perhaps everyone else knows that it was a different model. Also there was a more detailed model of the top of the shuttle bay. Gives one pause to think.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I need to learn how to greeble like this.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looking mighty fine. Yeah, knew about the heavier detailed models for certain parts of this ship from TMP. Is also mentioned in the thread for the physical model build of this ship.

With that composite shot it looks like you need to do a bit more work to match the lighting in the background plate, but still looks great, tweak that minor detail and it'll look awesome.
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    This is becoming very pretty with makeup on.
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    With that composite shot it looks like you need to do a bit more work to match the lighting in the background plate, but still looks great, tweak that minor detail and it'll look awesome.
    You are so right!

Regarding the extra TMP models:
    Another CG artist has been telling me that with the computer the possibilities for realism are so much greater, that we almost have to take artistic license. In the past I've been such a "cannon" guy but would have to admit I am considering dolling this model up a little more.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    ...In the past I've been such a "cannon" guy but would have to admit I am considering dolling this model up a little more.

Feel free to do it. ;)
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Nice job! Yeah those hi res parts can be annoying. I find you just have to balance that with a reasonable amount of work and a reasonable amount of detail from a distance. Maybe you can do a lot with textures. One day I'll gte back to working on my version...
    japetus wrote: »
    ...One day I'll get back to working on my version...
    Good, and looking forward to it!

I don't mind the high res movie models. The whole model has a LOT of detail on the bridge section, and then suddenly goes mostly bare on the main hull and other structrues. Then I saw the extra movie model closeups and it appeared that they envisioned the rest of the model as having detail pieces similar to those on the bridge area.
    Getting closer
    99604.jpg
    eagledocf15
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    There are no words.:argh:
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Super good.
    I love it ....
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    Pretty damn perfect. Very good work! :)
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Awesome work!
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    You're doing a D-10 and a B-10 from FASA/SFB after this, right? :)
    publiusr wrote: »
    You're doing a D-10 and a B-10 from FASA/SFB after this, right? :)

I have a project I have been asked to do that involves a lot of Federation ships. After that... :thumb:

Thanks all. Right now I am working on the logos on the hull, more greebles on the rest of the ship (if you look, I added a bunch seen from STTMP on the cooling gizmos on the shuttle bay, seen at index 7:30 on one of the BluRay discs)
    Here are some Orthos I promised. Took some effort to simplify them where helpful. The shuttle bay structure is a tad wide. I would recommend making it slightly narrower. I will at some point. Also the base (widest part) of the neck should probably be a little wider. Your call.
    100077.png100078.png100079.png100080.png100081.png
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    nice, looks very detailed. as far as the neck is concerned i do not think it looks too thin although precise diagrams may suggest it should be wider. which part is the "shuttle bay structure"?
    The large structure on the main hull at the back. It has the two angled "Cooling unit" things, one on each side. The main center structure has shuttle bay doors facing toward the rear. Maybe I should add that you don't want to forget that the engines and the cooling units are angled when you draw against the Ortho.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I look forward to seeing how your FASA D10 turns out!
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Nice orthos! that's a cool way to display them.